From: mark on
Hi all,

I've just put a post on the Vodafone forums, but thought I would here
too.

I have a business tariff on Vodafone with an HTC Magic handset and
find that at my clients location with poor Vodafone coverage, the
handset will sometimes (rarely) roam onto Orange. Aside from not being
able to make/receive calls in this state I do wonder why the Orange
network is allowing this.

Has anyone else seen the same or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
From: Dennis Ferguson on
On 2010-06-18, mark <marpate2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a business tariff on Vodafone with an HTC Magic handset and
> find that at my clients location with poor Vodafone coverage, the
> handset will sometimes (rarely) roam onto Orange. Aside from not being
> able to make/receive calls in this state I do wonder why the Orange
> network is allowing this.
>
> Has anyone else seen the same or have any ideas?

Might it be a side effect of 999 roaming?

Dennis Ferguson
From: R. Mark Clayton on

"Dennis Ferguson" <dcferguson(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-18, mark <marpate2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a business tariff on Vodafone with an HTC Magic handset and
>> find that at my clients location with poor Vodafone coverage, the
>> handset will sometimes (rarely) roam onto Orange. Aside from not being
>> able to make/receive calls in this state I do wonder why the Orange
>> network is allowing this.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen the same or have any ideas?
>
> Might it be a side effect of 999 roaming?
>
> Dennis Ferguson

Possible, but more likely a fault.

From: mark on
On Jun 18, 8:45 pm, "R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclay...(a)btinternet.com>
wrote:
> "Dennis Ferguson" <dcfergu...(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> > On 2010-06-18, mark <marpa...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have a business tariff on Vodafone with an HTC Magic handset and
> >> find that at my clients location with poor Vodafone coverage, the
> >> handset will sometimes (rarely) roam onto Orange. Aside from not being
> >> able to make/receive calls in this state I do wonder why the Orange
> >> network is allowing this.
>
> >> Has anyone else seen the same or have any ideas?
>
> > Might it be a side effect of 999 roaming?
>
> > Dennis Ferguson
>
> Possible, but more likely a fault.

Hi guys,

It seems to be both. There seems to be an issue with the Magic losing
signal and not re-registering to its home PLMN when available and
occasionally it will roam to another operator for emergency calls as
suggested.

I hope to get more info from Vodafone but given that updates on their
handsets are few and far between I don't expect a quick resolution.

Thanks,
Mark
From: mark on
On 22 June, 10:04, Steve <stee...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:11:29 -0700 (PDT), mark <marpa...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
>
> >I've just put a post on the Vodafone forums, but thought I would here
> >too.
>
> >I have a business tariff on Vodafone with an HTC Magic handset and
> >find that at my clients location with poor Vodafone coverage, the
> >handset will sometimes (rarely) roam onto Orange. Aside from not being
> >able to make/receive calls in this state I do wonder why the Orange
> >network is allowing this.
>
> >Has anyone else seen the same or have any ideas?
>
> My vodafone broadband SIM (in an unlocked Three dongle) is sometimes
> showing (R) in poor signal areas but no operator name information.
>
> Is it the same pnenomenon?

Sounds similar. I think that the mapping of MCC/MNC to an operator
name is stored in the SIM, so perhaps there is no mapping available
which is why you don't see the operator name?