From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
(snip)

>> You can set all the services to Manual start if you want but I don't
>> know if it will change anything, give it a try and find out. Keep
>> these three services to Automatic start:
>>
>> Event Log
>> Plug & Play
>> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
>>
>> Set all the other services to manual or disabled. After you do this
>> try to hibernate the machine manually or in less than one hour (to
>> make sure that it can actually hibernate with the minimal set of
>> services).
>>
>> John
> Okay, John, will do....later.
> But for now, I'd like to report that my clone system is
> running, with clean boot, such that it does hibernate
> at 1 hour, giving no unexplainable event msgs or errors,
> and no sign of the dreaded ati2mtag or whatever it is.

I followed above procedures, John, with eminent success (so far).
Stripping down to just those few, it hibernated at two hours!
Did it twice to make sure.
So I changed the first ten to automatic and again, it hibernated at
two hours. I did it twice to be sure.
So I changed the next 15 or so, and it did NOT go to 2 hours. Here are
the Events. Critical timing is that it started at 7:43, should have
gone to 9:45, but things happened around 8:15, and desktop came on
and I discontinued, to capture Events Monitor and pass them along.
Perhaps you can interpret what they say, and tell me how to fix it,
maybe by disabling some culprit......or do I search one suspect at a
time until I find it? Got any clues? What is "Ci"?

> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Ci
> Event Category: CI Service
> Event ID: 4103
> Date: 4/6/2010
> Time: 8:16:59 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> Master merge has completed on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci.
>
> For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>

> Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
> Information 4/6/2010 8:16:59 AM Ci CI Service 4103 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 8:16:30 AM Ci CI Service 4109 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 7:43:57 AM Ci CI Service 4144 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 7:43:57 AM Ci CI Service 4144 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 7:43:56 AM Ci CI Service 4137 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 7:43:22 AM Imapi Helper None 0 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Error 4/6/2010 7:41:42 AM COM+ (98) 4691 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Error 4/6/2010 7:41:42 AM MSDTC Client (10) 4427 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 7:37:36 AM IDriverT None 0 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Warning 4/6/2010 12:15:07 AM EventSystem (54) 4353 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Warning 4/6/2010 12:15:07 AM EventSystem (52) 4356 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Warning 4/6/2010 12:15:07 AM EventSystem (54) 4353 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Warning 4/6/2010 12:15:07 AM EventSystem (52) 4356 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 4/6/2010 12:13:19 AM ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 None 1076 N/A COMPAQ-2006

I can go back and narrow it down, but it would be nice to go back to the
state where it ran 2 hours, and add just whatever you think is the bad
actor.......
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
> (snip)
>>>
>>> You can set all the services to Manual start if you want but I don't
>>> know if it will change anything, give it a try and find out. Keep
>>> these three services to Automatic start:
>>>
>>> Event Log
>>> Plug & Play
>>> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
>>>
>>> Set all the other services to manual or disabled. After you do this
>>> try to hibernate the machine manually or in less than one hour (to
>>> make sure that it can actually hibernate with the minimal set of
>>> services).
>>>
>>> John
>> Okay, John, will do....later.
>> But for now, I'd like to report that my clone system is
>> running, with clean boot, such that it does hibernate
>> at 1 hour, giving no unexplainable event msgs or errors,
>> and no sign of the dreaded ati2mtag or whatever it is.
>
> I followed above procedures, John, with eminent success (so far).
> Stripping down to just those few, it hibernated at two hours!
> Did it twice to make sure.
> So I changed the first ten to automatic and again, it hibernated at
> two hours. I did it twice to be sure.

That is progress...

> So I changed the next 15 or so, and it did NOT go to 2 hours.

And there is the clue to your problem. Keep notes of your changes and
keep on narrowing things down. One of these 15 services prevented
hibernation, keep on whittling the list down, cut out 8 of the 15
services and see if things change. If it does hibernate move on to the
other 7 services, if it doesn't hibernate cut the 8 services list down
to 4 and try it again... and so on until you pinpoint it down to the
culprit.

> Here are
> the Events. Critical timing is that it started at 7:43, should have
> gone to 9:45, but things happened around 8:15, and desktop came on
> and I discontinued, to capture Events Monitor and pass them along.
> Perhaps you can interpret what they say, and tell me how to fix it,
> maybe by disabling some culprit......or do I search one suspect at a
> time until I find it? Got any clues? What is "Ci"?
>

>> Event Type: Information
>> Event Source: Ci
>> Event Category: CI Service Event ID: 4103
>> Date: 4/6/2010
>> Time: 8:16:59 AM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>> Master merge has completed on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci.

That is caused by the Indexing Service. If you want you can read about
the Master Merge in these search results:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu.JdQLtLUw0AQEWl87UF?p=MasterMergeTime&fr=yfp-t-501&fr2=sfp&iscqry=

You can disable the Indexing Service and see if things change.

> I can go back and narrow it down, but it would be nice to go back to the
> state where it ran 2 hours, and add just whatever you think is the bad
> actor.......

I don't know who the bad actor is, you will have to keep on with the
trial and error and find that bad actor! Remember what I said
earlier... "sometimes you need dogged determination to get to the bottom
of some of these problems".

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> (snip)

>>> Okay, John, will do....later.
>>> But for now, I'd like to report that my clone system is
>>> running, with clean boot, such that it does hibernate
>>> at 1 hour, giving no unexplainable event msgs or errors,
>>> and no sign of the dreaded ati2mtag or whatever it is.
>>
>> I followed above procedures, John, with eminent success (so far).
>> Stripping down to just those few, it hibernated at two hours!
>> Did it twice to make sure.
>> So I changed the first ten to automatic and again, it hibernated at
>> two hours. I did it twice to be sure.
>
> That is progress...
>

>> So I changed the next 15 or so, and it did NOT go to 2 hours.
>
> And there is the clue to your problem. Keep notes of your changes and
> keep on narrowing things down. One of these 15 services prevented
> hibernation, keep on whittling the list down, cut out 8 of the 15
> services and see if things change. If it does hibernate move on to the
> other 7 services, if it doesn't hibernate cut the 8 services list down
> to 4 and try it again... and so on until you pinpoint it down to the
> culprit.
>

>> Here are
>> the Events. Critical timing is that it started at 7:43, should have
>> gone to 9:45, but things happened around 8:15, and desktop came on
>> and I discontinued, to capture Events Monitor and pass them along.
>> Perhaps you can interpret what they say, and tell me how to fix it,
>> maybe by disabling some culprit......or do I search one suspect at a
>> time until I find it? Got any clues? What is "Ci"?
>>

>>> Event Type: Information
>>> Event Source: Ci
>>> Event Category: CI Service Event ID: 4103
>>> Date: 4/6/2010
>>> Time: 8:16:59 AM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> Master merge has completed on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci.
>
> That is caused by the Indexing Service. If you want you can read about
> the Master Merge in these search results:
>
> http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu.JdQLtLUw0AQEWl87UF?p=MasterMergeTime&fr=yfp-t-501&fr2=sfp&iscqry=
>

> You can disable the Indexing Service and see if things change.
>

>> I can go back and narrow it down, but it would be nice to go back to the
>> state where it ran 2 hours, and add just whatever you think is the bad
>> actor.......
>
> I don't know who the bad actor is, you will have to keep on with the
> trial and error and find that bad actor! Remember what I said
> earlier... "sometimes you need dogged determination to get to the bottom
> of some of these problems".
>
> John
Right, John, I agree heartily. It will take some time, but I will
and start adding. Index will be the first that I re-enable after
I get back to a good 2 hour run. The ball is in my court; I will
crawl along toward what I hope will be a solution.
Bill
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> (snip)

>>> I followed above procedures, John, with eminent success (so far).
>>> Stripping down to just those few, it hibernated at two hours!
>>> Did it twice to make sure.
>>> So I changed the first ten to automatic and again, it hibernated at
>>> two hours. I did it twice to be sure.
>>
>> That is progress...
>>

>>> So I changed the next 15 or so, and it did NOT go to 2 hours.
>>
>> And there is the clue to your problem. Keep notes of your changes and
>> keep on narrowing things down. One of these 15 services prevented
>> hibernation, keep on whittling the list down, cut out 8 of the 15
>> services and see if things change. If it does hibernate move on to
>> the other 7 services, if it doesn't hibernate cut the 8 services list
>> down to 4 and try it again... and so on until you pinpoint it down to
>> the culprit.
>>

>>> Here are
>>> the Events. Critical timing is that it started at 7:43, should have
>>> gone to 9:45, but things happened around 8:15, and desktop came on
>>> and I discontinued, to capture Events Monitor and pass them along.
>>> Perhaps you can interpret what they say, and tell me how to fix it,
>>> maybe by disabling some culprit......or do I search one suspect at a
>>> time until I find it? Got any clues? What is "Ci"?

>> That is caused by the Indexing Service. If you want you can read
>> about the Master Merge in these search results:
>>
>> http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu.JdQLtLUw0AQEWl87UF?p=MasterMergeTime&fr=yfp-t-501&fr2=sfp&iscqry=
>>

>> You can disable the Indexing Service and see if things change.
>>

>>> I can go back and narrow it down, but it would be nice to go back to the
>>> state where it ran 2 hours, and add just whatever you think is the bad
>>> actor.......
>>
>> I don't know who the bad actor is, you will have to keep on with the
>> trial and error and find that bad actor! Remember what I said
>> earlier... "sometimes you need dogged determination to get to the
>> bottom of some of these problems".
>>
>> John
> Right, John, I agree heartily. It will take some time, but I will
> and start adding. Index will be the first that I re-enable after
> I get back to a good 2 hour run. The ball is in my court; I will
> crawl along toward what I hope will be a solution.

Let us know what you find out!

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> John John - MVP wrote:

>>> That is progress...

>>> And there is the clue to your problem. Keep notes of your changes
>>> and keep on narrowing things down. One of these 15 services
>>> prevented hibernation, keep on whittling the list down, cut out 8 of
>>> the 15 services and see if things change. If it does hibernate move
>>> on to the other 7 services, if it doesn't hibernate cut the 8
>>> services list down to 4 and try it again... and so on until you
>>> pinpoint it down to the culprit.

>>> That is caused by the Indexing Service. If you want you can read
>>> about the Master Merge in these search results:
>>>
>>> http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu.JdQLtLUw0AQEWl87UF?p=MasterMergeTime&fr=yfp-t-501&fr2=sfp&iscqry=
>>>

>>> You can disable the Indexing Service and see if things change.

>>> I don't know who the bad actor is, you will have to keep on with the
>>> trial and error and find that bad actor! Remember what I said
>>> earlier... "sometimes you need dogged determination to get to the
>>> bottom of some of these problems".
>>>
>>> John
>> Right, John, I agree heartily. It will take some time, but I will
>> and start adding. Index will be the first that I re-enable after
>> I get back to a good 2 hour run. The ball is in my court; I will
>> crawl along toward what I hope will be a solution.
>
> Let us know what you find out!
>
> John
Now 10 OM. I did as I said I would. Started with stripped, bare system.
Hibernation 2 hours okay.
I added Indexing *only*. It ran to 2 hours and hibernated perfectly.
No significant entries into events log.

In a way this was good news......and in another way, bad news.
Obvious next step. Keep Indexing Automatic along with your 3 basic
automatics, and start adding one at a time, the stuff that ended up,
in combination, causing the malfunction. Tedious......actually
tedious squared, or tedious factorial, I'm not sure which.

Your comments welcome, John, but the course seems pretty obvious.