From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> I'm curious enough to want to take my third drive (with another clone
> on it) and do *only* the ATI error fix, and see what happens.

Take your third drive and do a clean installation of Windows XP on it.
Enough fiddling about with clones...

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> I'm curious enough to want to take my third drive (with another clone
>> on it) and do *only* the ATI error fix, and see what happens.
>
> Take your third drive and do a clean installation of Windows XP on it.
> Enough fiddling about with clones...
>
> John
(A) I really can't do that, John. I didn't buy a retail XP, I
have nothing more than the working system, HP's on-board
recovery partition, and no CD. I have no way to start with
a clean installation. Even if I could, you know that I
have so many apps, I'd probably never end up with a
work-a-day system. Now to your other query (separately).
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> On the plus side, John, your fix......I haven't seen an ati2-based
>> event since, so that has to be solid. But we can use this as a base
>> and move on.
>
> What is the make and model number of your video card?

I'll see if I can dig that out. I think AIDA will list it, or
maybe Start>>Control Panel will lead me to it.

Is this a dual monitor card?
This is a simple middle-of-the-line OEM HP Presario system,
certainly with only one jack to connect a single monitor to.
I think the answer is negative.

Is the monitor plugged into monitor 1? It's plugged into the one and only
access jack.

From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> On the plus side, John, your fix......I haven't seen an ati2-based
>> event since, so that has to be solid. But we can use this as a base
>> and move on.
>
> What is the make and model number of your video card?

**** From Device Manager: ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Series
****
Is that it?

Is this a dual

From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> On the plus side, John, your fix......I haven't seen an ati2-based
>> event since, so that has to be solid. But we can use this as a base
>> and move on.
>
> What is the make and model number of your video card? Is this a dual
> monitor card? Is the monitor plugged into monitor 1?
>
> John

A bit more:

"Installed driver: ati2dvag 6.14.10.6806"......