From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: DCOM
>>> Event Category: None
>>> Event ID: 10005
>>> Date: 4/1/2010
>>> Time: 6:40:36 AM
>>> User: COMPAQ-2006\Compaq_Owner
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is
>>> disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "
>>> attempting to start the service MDM with arguments "" in order to run
>>> the server:
>>> {0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}
>>>
>>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>>
>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: DCOM
>>> Event Category: None
>>> Event ID: 10005
>>> Date: 4/1/2010
>>> Time: 6:35:10 AM
>>> User: COMPAQ-2006\Compaq_Owner
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is
>>> disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "
>>> attempting to start the service MDM with arguments "" in order to run
>>> the server:
>>> {0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}
>>>
>>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>>
>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: Ntfs
>>> Event Category: Disk
>>> Event ID: 55
>>> Date: 4/1/2010
>>> Time: 6:42:47 AM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please
>>> run the chkdsk utility on the volume R:.
>>>
>>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>> Data:
>>> 0000: 0d 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
>>> 0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..�
>>> 0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..�
>>> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>>
>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: Service Control Manager
>>> Event Category: None
>>> Event ID: 7026
>>> Date: 4/1/2010
>>> Time: 6:44:25 AM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
>>> ftsata2
>>> KLIF
>>

>> Is that an updated and current list of started Windows services?
>
> Yes, John, I generate it anew every time I make one
> of these hibernation runs, so that you can see it right
> with the Events.
>>
>> You discussed about those two drivers with another poster not too long
>> ago.
>
> Yes, and now I'll answer your queries:
>>
>> ftsata2: Do you now, or did you at any time have a Promise controller
>> installed?
>
> No, I do not now, and never did. This basic HP machine came with
> one hard drive, and cabling and slots for two more, which I
> added. I select which drive to run by interrupting boot process
> and telling it.
>>
>> KLIF: Do you now or did you at any time have Kaspersky AV software
>> installed on the machine?
>
> No, I have used Norton AV steadily for at least 15 years. From
> the days when Norton was impossible to work with, to the present,
> where they fix boo-boos by Chat and remote control of their software.
>>
>> The chkdsk message... What do you have stored on volume R?
>
> Oh, I missed that it was referring to volume R. I have numerous
> 'restore points' of which that volume is one. I generate these
> every month or so, using the Save & Restore feature of Norton
> System Works, which used to be PowerQuest Partition Magic. I
> keep these in case I have to recreate a system as it was as of
> an earlier date). I'll chkdsk it routinely but I think we can
> ignore that Event.

These system-start driver errors shouldn't affect the ability to
hibernate but you can change their startup type and get rid of the
errors if you want. You will have to change them in the registry at
their respective subkeys in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services key , set their
Start Value to 0x3 or 0x4. 0x3 is manual start, 0x4 is disabled.

Or, we can change them at the command prompt if you wish, I need the
results of the following command before I can give you the proper
commands to change the start type:

sc query state= all >c:\sc.txt

Copy and paste the contents of the generated sc.txt file to your next
post, there will be lots of verbiage in the file, post it all.

John
From: William B. Lurie on
Unknown wrote:
> Thanks. Without sitting at your machine and observing various items I can
> only go through the process of elimination.
> It seems something is calling for the internet about every hour. May I ask
> what you mean when you say Norton fixes their Boo-boos by remote control?

Sure. I go to their website and find tech support, for which one option
is one-on-one online chat with their 'analyst'. I describe the problem,
he (she) asks for permission to connect to my machine remotely, I give
it, then he takes control of my cursor as tho' he was sitting in my
chair, clicks and clacks, even downloads new upgrades software,
installs, he and I check that he has fixed the problem, and I terminate
the 'chat' session. The wait isn't usually long, typically 5 to 15
minutes. It's calling for *something* after one hour, which is why it
doesn't reach the 2-hour hibernate, but as for calling the Internet, I
don't know if we've proven that........

From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:

>>> Is that an updated and current list of started Windows services?
>>
>> Yes, John, I generate it anew every time I make one
>> of these hibernation runs, so that you can see it right
>> with the Events.
>>>
>>> You discussed about those two drivers with another poster not too
>>> long ago.
>>
>> Yes, and now I'll answer your queries:
>>>
>>> ftsata2: Do you now, or did you at any time have a Promise
>>> controller installed?
>>
>> No, I do not now, and never did. This basic HP machine came with
>> one hard drive, and cabling and slots for two more, which I
>> added. I select which drive to run by interrupting boot process
>> and telling it.
>>>
>>> KLIF: Do you now or did you at any time have Kaspersky AV software
>>> installed on the machine?
>>
>> No, I have used Norton AV steadily for at least 15 years. From
>> the days when Norton was impossible to work with, to the present,
>> where they fix boo-boos by Chat and remote control of their software.
>>>
>>> The chkdsk message... What do you have stored on volume R?
>>
>> Oh, I missed that it was referring to volume R. I have numerous
>> 'restore points' of which that volume is one. I generate these
>> every month or so, using the Save & Restore feature of Norton
>> System Works, which used to be PowerQuest Partition Magic. I
>> keep these in case I have to recreate a system as it was as of
>> an earlier date). I'll chkdsk it routinely but I think we can
>> ignore that Event.
>
> These system-start driver errors shouldn't affect the ability to
> hibernate but you can change their startup type and get rid of the
> errors if you want. You will have to change them in the registry at
> their respective subkeys in the
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services key , set their
> Start Value to 0x3 or 0x4. 0x3 is manual start, 0x4 is disabled.
>
> Or, we can change them at the command prompt if you wish, I need the
> results of the following command before I can give you the proper
> commands to change the start type:
>
> sc query state= all >c:\sc.txt
>
> Copy and paste the contents of the generated sc.txt file to your next
> post, there will be lots of verbiage in the file, post it all.
>
> John

Okay, John. I'll do it now on my Master system, saves some time in
rebooting, doing sc on clone, rebooting to Master. Here it is:

From: Unknown on
You stated after the hibernation time (2 hours) your HD light is flashing?
At that point did you open task manager and check what processes is running
and whether or not
an application is running?
Also have you compared the services when starting to hibernate against the
services after one hour?

From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:

>>> Is that an updated and current list of started Windows services?
>>
>> Yes, John, I generate it anew every time I make one
>> of these hibernation runs, so that you can see it right
>> with the Events.
>>>
>>> You discussed about those two drivers with another poster not too
>>> long ago.
>>
>> Yes, and now I'll answer your queries:
>>>
>>> ftsata2: Do you now, or did you at any time have a Promise
>>> controller installed?
>>
>> No, I do not now, and never did. This basic HP machine came with
>> one hard drive, and cabling and slots for two more, which I
>> added. I select which drive to run by interrupting boot process
>> and telling it.
>>>
>>> KLIF: Do you now or did you at any time have Kaspersky AV software
>>> installed on the machine?
>>
>> No, I have used Norton AV steadily for at least 15 years. From
>> the days when Norton was impossible to work with, to the present,
>> where they fix boo-boos by Chat and remote control of their software.
>>>
>>> The chkdsk message... What do you have stored on volume R?
>>
>> Oh, I missed that it was referring to volume R. I have numerous
>> 'restore points' of which that volume is one. I generate these
>> every month or so, using the Save & Restore feature of Norton
>> System Works, which used to be PowerQuest Partition Magic. I
>> keep these in case I have to recreate a system as it was as of
>> an earlier date). I'll chkdsk it routinely but I think we can
>> ignore that Event.
>
> These system-start driver errors shouldn't affect the ability to
> hibernate but you can change their startup type and get rid of the
> errors if you want. You will have to change them in the registry at
> their respective subkeys in the
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services key , set their
> Start Value to 0x3 or 0x4. 0x3 is manual start, 0x4 is disabled.
>
> Or, we can change them at the command prompt if you wish, I need the
> results of the following command before I can give you the proper
> commands to change the start type:
>
> sc query state= all >c:\sc.txt
>
> Copy and paste the contents of the generated sc.txt file to your next
> post, there will be lots of verbiage in the file, post it all.
>
> John

I don't mess with registry unless it has to be messed with.
And if those commands and errors are innocuous, I see no need to
mess with them via command prompt. And the chkdsk request was
a blind alley, and to be sure, I deleted that 2+ year old backup
anyway.

But what to do next? With all this time spent on the hibernate
problem, I hate to give up. Who knows, the answer may be just around
the next bend in the road.