From: William B. Lurie on
MSE? I don't recognize it. Maybe Google will.....

From: Unknown on
Windows Security Essentials.

From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> I took another small step, John. I like to try new things on my Clone
>>> system before I take a chance with my Main Drive......so I printed
>>> out KB310353 and followed its Method 2 on my clone system. It was very
>>> easy, and I did it and immediately went away for 2-3/4 hours ......and
>>> when I returned, the power light on my tower was blinking, the screen
>>> was on, and was not even in Screen Saver mode, which to me means that
>>> some Event occurred. It goes to Screen Saver at 10 minutes. I undid the
>>> msconfig changes and returned here, to my Master Drive.
>>>
>>> So I would judge that Clean Boot didn't show any difference. What's
>>> your next advice?
>>
>> Take a look in the Event Viewer and see if anything relevant is
>> logged. Check the log on the clone too.
>>
>> John
> The scene changes again, John. I just heard from Symantec, that Norton
> AntiVirus does do Idle Time Scan. I had it set for "Quarterly" so it
> should not have interfered. But with their help, I reset it to *never*
> and maybe that will be the answer. I can live with no idle time scans.
> So put my other testing on hold while I find out if hibernate now
> works right.
Three hours later. At 8:55 I set Idle Scan at Never, rebooted,
and went away. Three hours later, it had not gone into hibernation,
and Events Log showed *no* events in that period, but was
obviously alive and recording things. I am of the opinion that
Norton Anti-Virus is not the source of the problem. And I'm not about
to change horses and use MSE (as Unk just suggested). There has to
be a reason why it doesn't hibernate after 2 hours, and the events
log doesn't show it.

I'm going back to Clone, Disable Norton, do a Clean Boot, and let 3
hours go by, and look at Events Log as you suggested, John. I won't
be back on until 1600 EDT.
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> John John - MVP wrote:

>>> Take a look in the Event Viewer and see if anything relevant is
>>> logged. Check the log on the clone too.
>>>
>>> John
>> The scene changes again, John. I just heard from Symantec, that Norton
>> AntiVirus does do Idle Time Scan. I had it set for "Quarterly" so it
>> should not have interfered. But with their help, I reset it to *never*
>> and maybe that will be the answer. I can live with no idle time scans.
>> So put my other testing on hold while I find out if hibernate now
>> works right.
> Three hours later. At 8:55 I set Idle Scan at Never, rebooted,
> and went away. Three hours later, it had not gone into hibernation,
> and Events Log showed *no* events in that period, but was
> obviously alive and recording things. I am of the opinion that
> Norton Anti-Virus is not the source of the problem. And I'm not about
> to change horses and use MSE (as Unk just suggested). There has to
> be a reason why it doesn't hibernate after 2 hours, and the events
> log doesn't show it.
>
> I'm going back to Clone, Disable Norton, do a Clean Boot, and let 3
> hours go by, and look at Events Log as you suggested, John. I won't
> be back on until 1600 EDT.

I didn't do it right, and will do it again later this evening. Sorry.
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> The scene changes again, John. I just heard from Symantec, that
>>> Norton AntiVirus does do Idle Time Scan. I had it set for "Quarterly"
>>> so it
>>> should not have interfered. But with their help, I reset it to *never*
>>> and maybe that will be the answer. I can live with no idle time scans.
>>> So put my other testing on hold while I find out if hibernate now
>>> works right.
>> Three hours later. At 8:55 I set Idle Scan at Never, rebooted,
>> and went away. Three hours later, it had not gone into hibernation,
>> and Events Log showed *no* events in that period, but was
>> obviously alive and recording things. I am of the opinion that
>> Norton Anti-Virus is not the source of the problem. And I'm not about
>> to change horses and use MSE (as Unk just suggested). There has to
>> be a reason why it doesn't hibernate after 2 hours, and the events
>> log doesn't show it.
>>
>> I'm going back to Clone, Disable Norton, do a Clean Boot, and let 3
>> hours go by, and look at Events Log as you suggested, John. I won't
>> be back on until 1600 EDT.
>
> I didn't do it right, and will do it again later this evening. Sorry.

I think I did it right this time, John, and it still didn't go to
hibernate, and left events periodically in Events Log. I'll let
it run all night tonight, and have more data in the morning, and will
b extra keerful this time. Mwanwhile, perhaps these are of value:

> These Windows services are started:
>
> Application Layer Gateway Service
> Automatic Updates
> COM+ Event System
> Cryptographic Services
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> DHCP Client
> Distributed Link Tracking Client
> DNS Client
> Error Reporting Service
> Event Log
> Fast User Switching Compatibility
> Help and Support
> IPSEC Services
> Network Connections
> Network Location Awareness (NLA)
> Plug and Play
> Print Spooler
> Protected Storage
> Remote Access Connection Manager
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Secondary Logon
> Security Accounts Manager
> Server
> Shell Hardware Detection
> SSDP Discovery Service
> System Event Notification
> Task Scheduler
> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> Telephony
> Terminal Services
> Themes
> WebClient
> Windows Audio
> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
> Windows Management Instrumentation
> Windows Time
> Wireless Zero Configuration
> Workstation
>
> The command completed successfully.

Image Name PID Services

========================= ======
System Idle Process 0 N/A

System 4 N/A

smss.exe 1200 N/A

csrss.exe 1284 N/A

winlogon.exe 1316 N/A

services.exe 1360 Eventlog, PlugPlay

lsass.exe 1372 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs

svchost.exe 1532 DcomLaunch, TermService

svchost.exe 1632 RpcSs

svchost.exe 1784 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, ERSvc,

EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
helpsvc, lanmanserver,
lanmanworkstation,
Netman, Nla, RasMan, Schedule,
seclogon,
SENS, SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,

TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time,
winmgmt,
wuauserv, WZCSVC

svchost.exe 1872 Dnscache

svchost.exe 232 LmHosts, SSDPSRV

spoolsv.exe 556 Spooler

explorer.exe 816 N/A

svchost.exe 904 WebClient

svchost.exe 976 stisvc

PrintScreen.exe 1864 N/A

alg.exe 1712 ALG

cmd.exe 1728 N/A

tasklist.exe 652 N/A

wmiprvse.exe 1136 N/A

I am able to send some more before I shut down.
Note the Events Log.....I left it at around 7:48
and came back and saw that it was not going to
hibernate, at 10:36 .... meanwhile please note the
events in betweem which I guess are what caused it not
to hibernate. The 7036's. Maybe you can make something
of this, John. I do think I did it right this time.