From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> [...]
> and came back and saw that it was not going to
> hibernate, at 10:36 .... meanwhile please note the
> events in betweem which I guess are what caused it not
> to hibernate. The 7036's. Maybe you can make something
> of this, John. I do think I did it right this time.
>

>> Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 Compaq_Owner COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Error 3/27/2010 10:56:32 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7026 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:54:44 PM Tcpip None 4201
>> N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:55:03 PM eventlog None 6005
>> N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:55:03 PM eventlog None 6009
>> N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:36:00 PM eventlog None 6006
>> N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 10:19:27 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 9:18:02 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 7:48:35 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 7:48:35 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 7:48:35 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 7:48:35 PM Service Control Manager
>> None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>> Information 3/27/2010 7:48:35 PM Service Control Manager

And expanding that one Event out, we see:

> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Service Control Manager
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7036
> Date: 3/27/2010
> Time: 9:18:02 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running state.
>
> So, are we back to continuing to try to find out what caused
WIA to enter the running state? It was listed as a System
event....and I believe it says the Service Control Manager was
the Source of the event.
From: Unknown on
Since you have Viewpoint Manager Service started in services, have you
opened it and disabled auto update?
Could be this service is looking for updates for viewpoint products and
thusly not allowing hibernation.

From: William B. Lurie on
Unknown wrote:
> Since you have Viewpoint Manager Service started in services, have you
> opened it and disabled auto update?
> Could be this service is looking for updates for viewpoint products and
> thusly not allowing hibernation.

(snip)
Well, I didn't consciously install it, have never intentionally used
it and don't know what it's for, I'll certainly disable it and see
what
that does for me, good or bad. Thanks.
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Unknown wrote:
>> Since you have Viewpoint Manager Service started in services, have you
>> opened it and disabled auto update?
>> Could be this service is looking for updates for viewpoint products
>> and thusly not allowing hibernation.
>
> (snip)
> Well, I didn't consciously install it, have never intentionally used
> it and don't know what it's for, I'll certainly disable it and see
> what
> that does for me, good or bad. Thanks.

And now, John, some new evidence elicited from Clean Booth overnight
run on Clone system, with phone line disconnected:

Note that the first of the questionable Events on System was a
newbie.... Application Layer Gateway Service started.....From
then on, it was every hour, another intrusion calol to WIA.....
Does that tell anything?

> Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
> Information 3/30/2010 6:30:57 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/30/2010 5:29:47 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/30/2010 4:28:29 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/30/2010 3:27:11 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/30/2010 2:25:53 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/30/2010 1:24:35 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/30/2010 12:23:17 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 11:21:52 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 Compaq_Owner COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
> Information 3/29/2010 10:20:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A COMPAQ-2006
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Service Control Manager
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7035
> Date: 3/29/2010
> Time: 10:20:12 PM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> The Application Layer Gateway Service service was

successfully sent a start control.

From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> Unknown wrote:
>>> Since you have Viewpoint Manager Service started in services, have
>>> you opened it and disabled auto update?
>>> Could be this service is looking for updates for viewpoint products
>>> and thusly not allowing hibernation.
>>
>> (snip)
>> Well, I didn't consciously install it, have never intentionally used
>> it and don't know what it's for, I'll certainly disable it and see
>> what
>> that does for me, good or bad. Thanks.
>
> And now, John, some new evidence elicited from Clean Booth overnight
> run on Clone system, with phone line disconnected:
>
> Note that the first of the questionable Events on System was a
> newbie.... Application Layer Gateway Service started.....From
> then on, it was every hour, another intrusion calol to WIA.....
> Does that tell anything?

I'm not so sure that your "Clean Boot" is all that clean... I suspect
that Norton plays a role in the ALG request to the Service Control
Manager. The WIA... I suspect your web cam or your Lexmark printer.
From the clone after you boot do the Net Start and the Tasklist /svc
commands and see what is running when you clean boot.

Also run the AT command, it should return "There are no entries in the
list".

John