From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Mar 19, 9:31 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> Continuing on, since the computer is available, I have disabled many
>>> of the items, leaving only 3 questionable "user" items in the
>>> TaskManager list. I have to track down, for one thing, why
>>> RealSched keeps coming back onto the startup list even when I
>>> uncheck it. Not vital, because for the 2-hour test, I can just
>>> delete it from RAM.
>>> There is RTHDCPL.EXE which is some kind of Windows Audio program
>>> which I can uncheck for these tests.
>>> And there is RecGuard which also keeps coming back when I uncheck it.
>>> Maybe you can advise me on those. Anyway, I still have a running system
>>> with darn near everything that is "Compaq User" and suspicious in the
>>> Task List, unchecked and not in RAM.
>> And further!!!!
>> ISUSPM.exe and ISSCH.EXE ...
>> Install Shield Update Service!!! And Scheduler!!!!
>> It obviously runs without being asked to by *me*.
>> I have searched but can't find out what the built-in parameters are.
>> Maybe one of them runs every hour!!!!
>> Anybody got any suggestions of built-in, hard-wired
>> 'helpful' programs, like these, that maybe run every hour?
>
> Uncheck ISUSPM - that is the InstallShield stuff which does want to
> run and look for updates periodically. It is configurable, but wants
> to look once a day. That could mean after 1 hour of idle, it checks.
> You can change it, but I would uninstall it, but you will have to look
> for it yourself to see how to do these things. Look in Add/Remove
> Programs.
>
> Reboot and if those processes are still running in TM, terminate them.
>
> Where is that CCcleaner Startup screenshot!?
Sorry, Jose.....I thought I had posted it.
Here's the way it is now. ope you can read it.
BTW, CCcleaner, when I ran
it yesterday, cleaned out the "Run" places that I like to keep.

You say those files are configurable, but I don't know how.
I don't think I'll find them in Add/Remove.....

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/ccshot1.jpg
From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Mar 19, 9:31 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> Continuing on, since the computer is available, I have disabled many
>>> of the items, leaving only 3 questionable "user" items in the
>>> TaskManager list. I have to track down, for one thing, why
>>> RealSched keeps coming back onto the startup list even when I
>>> uncheck it. Not vital, because for the 2-hour test, I can just
>>> delete it from RAM.
>>> There is RTHDCPL.EXE which is some kind of Windows Audio program
>>> which I can uncheck for these tests.
>>> And there is RecGuard which also keeps coming back when I uncheck it.
>>> Maybe you can advise me on those. Anyway, I still have a running system
>>> with darn near everything that is "Compaq User" and suspicious in the
>>> Task List, unchecked and not in RAM.
>> And further!!!!
>> ISUSPM.exe and ISSCH.EXE ...
>> Install Shield Update Service!!! And Scheduler!!!!
>> It obviously runs without being asked to by *me*.
>> I have searched but can't find out what the built-in parameters are.
>> Maybe one of them runs every hour!!!!
>> Anybody got any suggestions of built-in, hard-wired
>> 'helpful' programs, like these, that maybe run every hour?
>
> Uncheck ISUSPM - that is the InstallShield stuff which does want to
> run and look for updates periodically. It is configurable, but wants
> to look once a day. That could mean after 1 hour of idle, it checks.
> You can change it, but I would uninstall it, but you will have to look
> for it yourself to see how to do these things. Look in Add/Remove
> Programs.
>
> Reboot and if those processes are still running in TM, terminate them.
>
> Where is that CCcleaner Startup screenshot!?

I see that ISUS and a few others got put back in my startup list.
I have removed them again. I hope you can work with the really
sanitized status that I sent before, and which it now has again.
From: Jose on
On Mar 20, 11:38 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
> >> And further!!!!
> >> ISUSPM.exe and ISSCH.EXE ...
> >> Install Shield Update Service!!! And Scheduler!!!!
> >> It obviously runs without being asked to by *me*.
> >> I have searched but can't find out what the built-in parameters are.
> >> Maybe one of them runs every hour!!!!
> >> Anybody got any suggestions of built-in, hard-wired
> >> 'helpful' programs, like these, that maybe run every hour?
>
> > Uncheck ISUSPM - that is the InstallShield stuff which does want to
> > run and look for updates periodically.   It is configurable, but wants
> > to look once a day.  That could mean after 1 hour of idle, it checks.
> > You can change it, but I would uninstall it, but you will have to look
> > for it yourself to see how to do these things.  Look in Add/Remove
> > Programs.
>
> > Reboot and if those processes are still running in TM, terminate them.
>
> > Where is that CCcleaner Startup screenshot!?
>
> Sorry, Jose.....I thought I had posted it.
> Here's the way it is now. ope you can read it.
> BTW, CCcleaner, when I ran
> it yesterday, cleaned out the "Run" places that I like to keep.
>
> You say those files are configurable, but I don't know how.
> I don't think I'll find them in Add/Remove.....
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/ccshot1.jpg

Almost. We need to see the Startup info:

Click Tools, Startup and drag the columns around so all the Startup
items are easy to see on one screen. CCleaner is good for this since
it shows more information in a bigger display and CCLeaner has other
useful functions you can check out later. You can uninstall CCleaner
later if you don't use it.

Example:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6969/ccleanerstartup.jpg

I could not find the correct way to uninstall the silly InstallShield
thing and if it was me, I would not worry about trying to configure
it, I would uninstall it. I will look some more. It wants to update
once a day (at least) and will probably wait for an idle time and one
hour sounds good, huh?

Check in msconfig Service tab, Hide All Microsoft Services. What is
left are things you or your other programs have installed. If you see
any of that IS stuff there, disable it and reboot. I can't recall in
recent memory when I have see that stuff in TM and I have looked at a
lot of TMs. If something goes wrong, you can put stuff back through
msconfig - that is what it is there for (troubleshooting).

Check TM again after reboot - if you still see them, terminate them,
then wait your 2 hours, or check Event Viewer in 1+ hours for those
messages and I'll look for the best way to uninstall it even if I have
to install it myself (probably). From what I read, it is all
ridiculous crapola leftover from some other program that uses IS to
install itself. Their original WWW page is unhooked.

Most people have an IS folder here which is "normal" (enable show
hidden files and folders):

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information

I have an UpdateService folder, but my UpdateService folder is empty.
Maybe I uninstalled it years ago when my XP was coming together. That
would be just like me.
From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
(snip)
> Almost. We need to see the Startup info:
>
> Click Tools, Startup and drag the columns around so all the Startup
> items are easy to see on one screen. CCleaner is good for this since
> it shows more information in a bigger display and CCLeaner has other
> useful functions you can check out later. You can uninstall CCleaner
> later if you don't use it.
>
> Example:
>
> http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6969/ccleanerstartup.jpg
>
> I could not find the correct way to uninstall the silly InstallShield
> thing and if it was me, I would not worry about trying to configure
> it, I would uninstall it. I will look some more. It wants to update
> once a day (at least) and will probably wait for an idle time and one
> hour sounds good, huh?
>
> Check in msconfig Service tab, Hide All Microsoft Services. What is
> left are things you or your other programs have installed. If you see
> any of that IS stuff there, disable it and reboot. I can't recall in
> recent memory when I have see that stuff in TM and I have looked at a
> lot of TMs. If something goes wrong, you can put stuff back through
> msconfig - that is what it is there for (troubleshooting).
>
> Check TM again after reboot - if you still see them, terminate them,
> then wait your 2 hours, or check Event Viewer in 1+ hours for those
> messages and I'll look for the best way to uninstall it even if I have
> to install it myself (probably). From what I read, it is all
> ridiculous crapola leftover from some other program that uses IS to
> install itself. Their original WWW page is unhooked.
>
> Most people have an IS folder here which is "normal" (enable show
> hidden files and folders):
>
> C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information
>
> I have an UpdateService folder, but my UpdateService folder is empty.
> Maybe I uninstalled it years ago when my XP was coming together. That
> would be just like me.

Well, I think I'm getting more used to CCcleaner.....see these:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc1a.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc1b.jpg

Clearing everything except HPBootop from Startup list, rebooting,
cleaning everything in the User list (except the HP item) but
not touching System items..... I find that rebooting causes issch.exe
and realsched.exe and ISUSPM to be placed back in Startup again,
every time. While booting up, I watch
TM and I see that agent.exe goes into operation, and then
disappears. Maybe that file gets executed and does these nasty
things.

Anyway, I did find the IS folder, but it has a few dozen lines that
look like Registry entries but nothing that looks like a .exe or
the like. I'd be willing to disable ISUSPM ..... but first I gotta
find the rascal.
From: Bill P on

"William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> Jose wrote:
> (snip)
>> Almost. We need to see the Startup info:
>>
>> Click Tools, Startup and drag the columns around so all the Startup
>> items are easy to see on one screen. CCleaner is good for this since
>> it shows more information in a bigger display and CCLeaner has other
>> useful functions you can check out later. You can uninstall CCleaner
>> later if you don't use it.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6969/ccleanerstartup.jpg
>>
>> I could not find the correct way to uninstall the silly InstallShield
>> thing and if it was me, I would not worry about trying to configure
>> it, I would uninstall it. I will look some more. It wants to update
>> once a day (at least) and will probably wait for an idle time and one
>> hour sounds good, huh?
>>
>> Check in msconfig Service tab, Hide All Microsoft Services. What is
>> left are things you or your other programs have installed. If you see
>> any of that IS stuff there, disable it and reboot. I can't recall in
>> recent memory when I have see that stuff in TM and I have looked at a
>> lot of TMs. If something goes wrong, you can put stuff back through
>> msconfig - that is what it is there for (troubleshooting).
>>
>> Check TM again after reboot - if you still see them, terminate them,
>> then wait your 2 hours, or check Event Viewer in 1+ hours for those
>> messages and I'll look for the best way to uninstall it even if I have
>> to install it myself (probably). From what I read, it is all
>> ridiculous crapola leftover from some other program that uses IS to
>> install itself. Their original WWW page is unhooked.
>>
>> Most people have an IS folder here which is "normal" (enable show
>> hidden files and folders):
>>
>> C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information
>>
>> I have an UpdateService folder, but my UpdateService folder is empty.
>> Maybe I uninstalled it years ago when my XP was coming together. That
>> would be just like me.
>
> Well, I think I'm getting more used to CCcleaner.....see these:
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc1a.jpg
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc1b.jpg
>
> Clearing everything except HPBootop from Startup list, rebooting,
> cleaning everything in the User list (except the HP item) but
> not touching System items..... I find that rebooting causes issch.exe and
> realsched.exe and ISUSPM to be placed back in Startup again,
> every time. While booting up, I watch
> TM and I see that agent.exe goes into operation, and then
> disappears. Maybe that file gets executed and does these nasty
> things.
>
> Anyway, I did find the IS folder, but it has a few dozen lines that
> look like Registry entries but nothing that looks like a .exe or
> the like. I'd be willing to disable ISUSPM ..... but first I gotta
> find the rascal.

This is where it is :-
What is the isuspm.exe location, where is it stored on my computer?
This file will be found on your hard drive at
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe "
Bill