From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> John John - MVP wrote:

>>> The service isn't starting of its own, it's starting because
>>> *something else* is asking it to start. Sometime ago I gave you two
>>> commands to get the list of running programs and services when the
>>> machine boots, can you run them again and post the results? Reboot
>>> the machine and then run these three commands at a Command Prompt,
>>> pressing enter after each:
>>>
>>> net start > c:\test.txt
>>> tasklist /svc >> c:\test.txt
>>> c:\test.txt
>>>
>>> Copy and paste the contents of the notepad file to your next post.
>>> Please note the single redirector (>) in the first command and the
>>> double one (>>)in the second command.
>>>
>>> John
>> Here's the first one, John.
>
>> The second one gave the error pane saying:
>>
>> Windows cannot find tasklist ..........
>> What did I do wrong?
>
> This was discussed in our thread a few weeks ago and at that time you
> had gotten it to work. Here is a refresher.
>
> Tasklist is included with Windows XP Professional but it isn't included
> in XP Home. Download Tasklist.exe here:
>
> http://www.computerhope.com/download/winxp/tasklist.exe
> (Direct download link)
>
> Download the file and place it in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.
> Reboot the computer and run the command just after the reboot, we want
> an accurate list of what is running just after the machine is booted and
> before you start or run anything else.
>
> John
Okay, John. I had to do it just a bit differently from what
you asked (and I don't recall ever seeing your earlier request, but
I could have missed it. I sure didn't ignore it on purpose).

> Application Layer Gateway Service
> COM+ Event System
> Cryptographic Services
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> DHCP Client
> Distributed Link Tracking Client
> DNS Client
> Error Reporting Service
> Event Log
> Fast User Switching Compatibility
> Help and Support
> LexBce Server
> lxct_device
> Network Connections
> Network Location Awareness (NLA)
> Norton AntiVirus
> Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine
> Plug and Play
> Print Spooler
> Protected Storage
> Remote Access Connection Manager
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Secondary Logon
> Security Accounts Manager
> Server
> Shell Hardware Detection
> Speed Disk service
> SSDP Discovery Service
> System Event Notification
> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> Telephony
> Terminal Services
> Themes
> Viewpoint Manager Service
> WebClient
> Windows Audio
> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> Windows Management Instrumentation
> Windows Time
> Wireless Zero Configuration
> Workstation
>
> The command completed successfully.

Image Name PID Services

========================= ======
System Idle Process 0 N/A

System 4 N/A

smss.exe 1200 N/A

csrss.exe 1284 N/A

winlogon.exe 1316 N/A

services.exe 1360 Eventlog, PlugPlay

lsass.exe 1372 ProtectedStorage, SamSs

svchost.exe 1528 DcomLaunch, TermService

svchost.exe 1616 RpcSs

svchost.exe 1784 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, ERSvc,

EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
helpsvc, lanmanserver,
lanmanworkstation,
Netman, Nla, RasMan, seclogon, SENS,

SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
TapiSrv,
Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
WZCSVC
svchost.exe 1872 Dnscache

svchost.exe 244 LmHosts, SSDPSRV

LEXBCES.EXE 376 LexBceS

spoolsv.exe 544 Spooler

LEXPPS.EXE 576 N/A

explorer.exe 820 N/A

svchost.exe 940 WebClient

lxctcoms.exe 992 lxct_device

ccSvcHst.exe 1040 Norton AntiVirus

w3dbsmgr.exe 1444 psqlWGE

NOPDB.exe 1860 Speed Disk service

ViewpointService.exe 160 Viewpoint Manager Service

ccSvcHst.exe 2572 N/A

alg.exe 4056 ALG

hpsysdrv.exe 2192 N/A

EditPadLite.exe 3112 N/A

cmd.exe 1468 N/A

ntvdm.exe 3152 N/A

tasklist.exe 3092 N/A

wmiprvse.exe 3288 N/A

From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> [...]
>
> svchost.exe 1616 RpcSs
>
> svchost.exe 1784 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, ERSvc,
>
> EventSystem,
> FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
> helpsvc, lanmanserver,
> lanmanworkstation,
> Netman, Nla, RasMan, seclogon, SENS,
>
> SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
> TapiSrv,
> Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
> WZCSVC
> svchost.exe 1872 Dnscache
>
> svchost.exe 244 LmHosts, SSDPSRV
>
> LEXBCES.EXE 376 LexBceS
>
> spoolsv.exe 544 Spooler
>
> LEXPPS.EXE 576 N/A
>
> explorer.exe 820 N/A
>
> svchost.exe 940 WebClient
>
> lxctcoms.exe 992 lxct_device
>
> ccSvcHst.exe 1040 Norton AntiVirus
>
> w3dbsmgr.exe 1444 psqlWGE
>
> NOPDB.exe 1860 Speed Disk service
>
> ViewpointService.exe 160 Viewpoint Manager Service

This list was taken right after a reboot? I wonder what 16-bit/DOS
application would be running (inside the NTVDM) when you boot the machine...

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> svchost.exe 244 LmHosts, SSDPSRV
>>
>> LEXBCES.EXE 376 LexBceS
>>
>> spoolsv.exe 544 Spooler
>>
>> LEXPPS.EXE 576 N/A
>>
>> explorer.exe 820 N/A
>>
>> svchost.exe 940 WebClient
>>
>> lxctcoms.exe 992 lxct_device
>>
>> ccSvcHst.exe 1040 Norton AntiVirus
>>
>> w3dbsmgr.exe 1444 psqlWGE
>>
>> NOPDB.exe 1860 Speed Disk service
>>
>> ViewpointService.exe 160 Viewpoint Manager Service
>>
>> ccSvcHst.exe 2572 N/A
>>
>> alg.exe 4056 ALG
>>
>> hpsysdrv.exe 2192 N/A
>>
>> EditPadLite.exe 3112 N/A
>>
>> cmd.exe 1468 N/A
>>
>> ntvdm.exe 3152 N/A
>>
>> tasklist.exe 3092 N/A
>>
>> wmiprvse.exe 3288 N/A
>
> This list was taken right after a reboot? I wonder what 16-bit/DOS
> application would be running (inside the NTVDM) when you boot the

I'll do it again, John, if you ask me to.
I think I may have had to run the commands
from the actual DOS prompt (i.e., Start>Run>cmd);
I couldn't find the files created by putting the commands
into the Run>command window and executing from there.

I'll try to do it again, now, and generate a new set.
Yes, I'll reboot first.
From: William B. Lurie on
John wrote:
(snip)

>> This list was taken right after a reboot? I wonder what 16-bit/DOS
>> application would be running (inside the NTVDM) when you boot the
>> machine...
>>
>> John
> I'll do it again, John, if you ask me to.
> I think I may have had to run the commands
> from the actual DOS prompt (i.e., Start>Run>cmd);
> I couldn't find the files created by putting the commands
> into the Run>command window and executing from there.
>
> I'll try to do it again, now, and generate a new set.
> Yes, I'll reboot first.
I did the following immediately after reboot, by going
to cmd DOS prompt, the C:\ and
net start > c:\test326a.txt
enter
tasklist /svc > c:\test326b.txt
enter

And now I will copy and paste the two .txt files here.

> These Windows services are started:
>
> Application Layer Gateway Service
> COM+ Event System
> Cryptographic Services
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> DHCP Client
> Distributed Link Tracking Client
> DNS Client
> Error Reporting Service
> Event Log
> Fast User Switching Compatibility
> Help and Support
> LexBce Server
> lxct_device
> Network Connections
> Network Location Awareness (NLA)
> Norton AntiVirus
> Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine
> Plug and Play
> Print Spooler
> Protected Storage
> Remote Access Connection Manager
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Secondary Logon
> Security Accounts Manager
> Server
> Shell Hardware Detection
> Speed Disk service
> SSDP Discovery Service
> System Event Notification
> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> Telephony
> Terminal Services
> Themes
> Viewpoint Manager Service
> WebClient
> Windows Audio
> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> Windows Management Instrumentation
> Windows Time
> Wireless Zero Configuration
> Workstation
>
> The command completed successfully.

Image Name PID Services

========================= ======
System Idle Process 0 N/A

System 4 N/A

smss.exe 1200 N/A

csrss.exe 1280 N/A

winlogon.exe 1312 N/A

services.exe 1356 Eventlog, PlugPlay

lsass.exe 1368 ProtectedStorage, SamSs

svchost.exe 1532 DcomLaunch, TermService

svchost.exe 1628 RpcSs

svchost.exe 1796 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, ERSvc,

EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
helpsvc, lanmanserver,
lanmanworkstation,
Netman, Nla, RasMan, seclogon, SENS,

SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection,
TapiSrv,
Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
WZCSVC
svchost.exe 1868 Dnscache

svchost.exe 244 LmHosts, SSDPSRV

LEXBCES.EXE 392 LexBceS

spoolsv.exe 552 Spooler

LEXPPS.EXE 584 N/A

explorer.exe 832 N/A

svchost.exe 944 WebClient

lxctcoms.exe 996 lxct_device

ccSvcHst.exe 1044 Norton AntiVirus

w3dbsmgr.exe 1520 psqlWGE

NOPDB.exe 1824 Speed Disk service

ViewpointService.exe 2028 Viewpoint Manager Service

ccSvcHst.exe 2540 N/A

alg.exe 4080 ALG

cmd.exe 2256 N/A

hpsysdrv.exe 2348 N/A

tasklist.exe 2644 N/A

wmiprvse.exe 2676 N/A

Over to you, John.
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> [...]
> lsass.exe 1368 ProtectedStorage, SamSs
> svchost.exe 1532 DcomLaunch, TermService
> svchost.exe 1628 RpcSs
> svchost.exe 1796 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, ERSvc,
> EventSystem,
> FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,
> helpsvc, lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation,
> Netman, Nla, RasMan, seclogon, SENS,
> SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, TapiSrv,
> Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt, WZCSVC
> svchost.exe 1868 Dnscache
> svchost.exe 244 LmHosts, SSDPSRV
> LEXBCES.EXE 392 LexBceS
> spoolsv.exe 552 Spooler
> LEXPPS.EXE 584 N/A
> explorer.exe 832 N/A
> svchost.exe 944 WebClient
> lxctcoms.exe 996 lxct_device
> ccSvcHst.exe 1044 Norton AntiVirus
> w3dbsmgr.exe 1520 psqlWGE
> NOPDB.exe 1824 Speed Disk service
> ViewpointService.exe 2028 Viewpoint Manager Service

If I understand correctly, you have the machine set to hibernate after 2
hours of inactivity but it can't enter the hibernation state because
something keeps it awake...

This is what I would try:

Reboot the machine and don't do anything whatsoever after it boots,
leave it alone for the time set for hibernation and see if it does
hibernate.

If it doesn't hibernate I would then try a clean boot and once again not
touch the machine for the set time and see if it does hibernate.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

John