From: Jose on
On Mar 20, 1:14 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
> (snip)
>

> > Almost.  We need to see the Startup info:
>
> > Click Tools, Startup and drag the columns around so all the Startup
> > items are easy to see on one screen.   CCleaner is good for this since
> > it shows more information in a bigger display and CCLeaner has other
> > useful functions you can check out later.  You can uninstall CCleaner
> > later if you don't use it.
>
> > Example:
>
> >http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6969/ccleanerstartup.jpg
>
> > I could not find the correct way to uninstall the silly InstallShield
> > thing and if it was me, I would not worry about trying to configure
> > it, I would uninstall it.  I will look some more.  It wants to update
> > once a day (at least) and will probably wait for an idle time and one
> > hour sounds good, huh?
>
> > Check in msconfig Service tab, Hide All Microsoft Services.  What is
> > left are things you or your other programs have installed.  If you see
> > any of that IS stuff there, disable it and reboot.  I can't recall in
> > recent memory when I have see that stuff in TM and I have looked at a
> > lot of TMs.  If something goes wrong, you can put stuff back through
> > msconfig - that is what it is there for (troubleshooting).
>
> > Check TM again after reboot - if you still see them, terminate them,
> > then wait your 2 hours, or check Event Viewer in 1+ hours for those
> > messages and I'll look for the best way to uninstall it even if I have
> > to install it myself (probably).  From what I read, it is all
> > ridiculous crapola leftover from some other program that uses IS to
> > install itself.  Their original WWW page is unhooked.
>
> > Most people have an IS folder here which is "normal" (enable show
> > hidden files and folders):
>
> > C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information
>
> > I have an UpdateService folder, but my UpdateService folder is empty.
> > Maybe I uninstalled it years ago when my XP was coming together.  That
> > would be just like me.
>
> Well, I think I'm getting more used to CCcleaner.....see these:
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc1a.jpg
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc1b.jpg
>
> Clearing everything except HPBootop from Startup list, rebooting,
> cleaning everything in the User list (except the HP item) but
> not touching System items..... I find that rebooting causes issch.exe
> and realsched.exe and ISUSPM to be placed back in Startup again,
> every time. While booting up, I watch
> TM and I see that   agent.exe    goes into operation, and then
> disappears. Maybe that file gets executed and does these nasty
> things.
>
> Anyway, I did find the IS folder, but it has a few dozen lines that
> look like Registry entries but nothing that looks like a .exe or
> the like. I'd be willing to disable ISUSPM ..... but first I gotta
> find the rascal.

That's looking pretty good. You are getting the hang of it now!

Next time, sort CCcleaner by the Enabled field by clicking the column
heading so all the Yes items are at the top. Don't care about the No
items. Drag the column headings so you can see more (make them
wider). What you have is okay, but it will be more readable when you
learn how to sort the columns and drag the column widths around so it
is just wide enough to show all the characters - especially the File
column. See my example - nice and wide, takes up the whole screen,
then take the screen shot.

If you see those IS things after reboot, just end them and realsched
too. If something goes wrong just reboot and they will start up.
Ending or disabling does not equal uninstalling. You are just trying
to figure out what is keeping you from Hibernating, then you can
figure out what to do about it when you know what it is. Kill
whatever is suspicious and wait.

I can't find a system with that IS junk on there, so I will have to
figure out how to install it. You could just rename the executables
where Bill P is pointing, and that may give you some error, but they
won't start anymore! Check the Services tab in msconfig too and see
if they are disableable. Can't find in in Add/Remove either?

From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> [...]
> is just wide enough to show all the characters - especially the File
> column. See my example - nice and wide, takes up the whole screen,
> then take the screen shot.
>
> If you see those IS things after reboot, just end them and realsched
> too. If something goes wrong just reboot and they will start up.
> Ending or disabling does not equal uninstalling. You are just trying
> to figure out what is keeping you from Hibernating, then you can
> figure out what to do about it when you know what it is. Kill
> whatever is suspicious and wait.
>
> I can't find a system with that IS junk on there, so I will have to
> figure out how to install it. You could just rename the executables
> where Bill P is pointing, and that may give you some error, but they
> won't start anymore! Check the Services tab in msconfig too and see
> if they are disableable. Can't find in in Add/Remove either?

Jose, except for refining what CC shows, I've been following you and I
have taken a half dozen files, including realsched.exe, agent issch
ISUSPM and just left hem in place, with their extension changed to .EXX ...

As we agreed, it takes hours to let it run and go to hibernate and
then bring it out to see if it's clean... but fortunately my house
guests are out on other ventures in a strange land (South Florida) and
I have time. When they're here the computer stays busy/

Hang loose. I think I'm almost ready to graduate from your tutoring
course.
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wr
(snip)

> Jose, except for refining what CC shows, I've been following you and I
> have taken a half dozen files, including realsched.exe, agent issch
> ISUSPM and just left hem in place, with their extension changed to .EXX
>
> As we agreed, it takes hours to let it run and go to hibernate and
> then bring it out to see if it's clean... but fortunately my house
> guests are out on other ventures in a strange land (South Florida) and
> I have time. When they're here the computer stays busy/
>
> Hang loose. I think I'm almost ready to graduate from your tutoring
> course.

Well, a new status report. See my current TM and Startup.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/cc322.JPG
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/tm322.JPG

I think they are cleaned of just about everything that
I can deactivate. Note that in TM there is one Compaq-Owner item
ccSvcHost that the system will not let me delete. BTW,
I have changed WIA to 'disabled' and the bottom line is still
that things happen to prevent hibernate at more than 1 hour.

Here's a sample Event that I can't resolve:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 3/21/2010
Time: 11:16:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ftsata2
KLIF

This was a System event that occurred when the system should
have been going to hibernation.
I keep telling myself that I should just live with hibernate
set at 1 hour, but the scientist in me refuses to give up.

From: Unknown on
Please don't give up. I am extremely curious and wish I had your system to
work on. I am setting my hibernate time to two hours to see if I may have
the same problem. Will let you know.

From: William B. Lurie on
Okay, I'll stay active in this project as long as people continue
to be helpful. As you've read in the thread, Jose has steered me
in the right direction. Getting rid of unnecessary clutter, that
supposedly was designed to make things easier and more automatic
for the user, sometimes have unwanted effects. And never
furnishing satisfying explanations as to why they are there, and
preventing the user to clean them out, is a constant annoyance.
Some of the MVP big guns can be great, though.

I have deactivated and prevented from loading a dozen files, all
having been seen in the Task Manager as resident in RAM and as
having been requested by Compaq-Owner (that's me). But there are
a dozen there that are loaded by "System", and I don't dare stop
those from loading, certainly not without some good advice.
Right now I'm waiting for Jose's next advice.