From: William B. Lurie on
Well, after a few days of not posting anything, I'd like to
show a status report. I have a great, clean, system, with all sorts
of things no longer cluttering up the Startup menu and the Task
Manager. I have WIA started and Automatic, and hibernate set to
2 hours........and Events Log show that every hour, WIA causes
an event so that it *never* goes to hibernate. Here's one event:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 3/24/2010
Time: 5:40:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running state.

It's obviously set *somewhere* at 1 hour. How do I get it
changed to 3 hours?

From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Well, after a few days of not posting anything, I'd like to
> show a status report. I have a great, clean, system, with all sorts
> of things no longer cluttering up the Startup menu and the Task
> Manager. I have WIA started and Automatic, and hibernate set to
> 2 hours........and Events Log show that every hour, WIA causes
> an event so that it *never* goes to hibernate. Here's one event:
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Service Control Manager
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7036
> Date: 3/24/2010
> Time: 5:40:58 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running state.

> It's obviously set *somewhere* at 1 hour. How do I get it
> changed to 3 hours?
> (snipped)

A closer look at services.msc shows, on expanding WIA, that its
executable is at Windows\system32\svchost.exe-k imgsvc .....

I'd appreciate it if one of those who know, would please lead
me to (or give me) instructions for modifying that executable
so that it kicks in every 3 hours instead of every hour.
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> Well, after a few days of not posting anything, I'd like to
>> show a status report. I have a great, clean, system, with all sorts
>> of things no longer cluttering up the Startup menu and the Task
>> Manager. I have WIA started and Automatic, and hibernate set to
>> 2 hours........and Events Log show that every hour, WIA causes
>> an event so that it *never* goes to hibernate. Here's one event:
>> *******************************************************
>> Event Type: Information
>> Event Source: Service Control Manager
>> Event Category: None
>> Event ID: 7036
>> Date: 3/24/2010
>> Time: 5:40:58 PM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>> The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running state.

>> *********************************************************
>> It's obviously set *somewhere* at 1 hour. How do I get it
>> changed to 3 hours?
>> (snipped)
>
> A closer look at services.msc shows, on expanding WIA, that its
> executable is at Windows\system32\svchost.exe-k imgsvc .....
>
> I'd appreciate it if one of those who know, would please lead
> me to (or give me) instructions for modifying that executable
> so that it kicks in every 3 hours instead of every hour.

The service isn't starting of its own, it's starting because *something
else* is asking it to start. Sometime ago I gave you two commands to
get the list of running programs and services when the machine boots,
can you run them again and post the results? Reboot the machine and
then run these three commands at a Command Prompt, pressing enter after
each:

net start > c:\test.txt
tasklist /svc >> c:\test.txt
c:\test.txt

Copy and paste the contents of the notepad file to your next post.
Please note the single redirector (>) in the first command and the
double one (>>)in the second command.

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> Well, after a few days of not posting anything, I'd like to
>>> show a status report. I have a great, clean, system, with all sorts
>>> of things no longer cluttering up the Startup menu and the Task
>>> Manager. I have WIA started and Automatic, and hibernate set to
>>> 2 hours........and Events Log show that every hour, WIA causes
>>> an event so that it *never* goes to hibernate. Here's one event:
>>> *******************************************************
>>> Event Type: Information
>>> Event Source: Service Control Manager
>>> Event Category: None
>>> Event ID: 7036
>>> Date: 3/24/2010
>>> Time: 5:40:58 PM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running state.
>>>
>>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>>> *********************************************************
>>> It's obviously set *somewhere* at 1 hour. How do I get it
>>> changed to 3 hours?
>>> (snipped)
>>
>> A closer look at services.msc shows, on expanding WIA, that its
>> executable is at Windows\system32\svchost.exe-k imgsvc .....
>>
>> I'd appreciate it if one of those who know, would please lead
>> me to (or give me) instructions for modifying that executable
>> so that it kicks in every 3 hours instead of every hour.
>
> The service isn't starting of its own, it's starting because *something
> else* is asking it to start. Sometime ago I gave you two commands to
> get the list of running programs and services when the machine boots,
> can you run them again and post the results? Reboot the machine and
> then run these three commands at a Command Prompt, pressing enter after
> each:
>
> net start > c:\test.txt
> tasklist /svc >> c:\test.txt
> c:\test.txt
>
> Copy and paste the contents of the notepad file to your next post.
> Please note the single redirector (>) in the first command and the
> double one (>>)in the second command.
>
> John
Here's the first one, John.

These Windows services are started:

Application Layer Gateway Service
COM+ Event System
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
Distributed Link Tracking Client
DNS Client
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support
LexBce Server
lxct_device
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Norton AntiVirus
Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine
Plug and Play
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Secondary Logon
Security Accounts Manager
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
Speed Disk service
SSDP Discovery Service
System Event Notification
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telephony
Terminal Services
Themes
Viewpoint Manager Service
WebClient
Windows Audio
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration
Workstation

The command completed successfully.

The second one gave the error pane saying:

Windows cannot find tasklist ..........
What did I do wrong?
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> A closer look at services.msc shows, on expanding WIA, that its
>>> executable is at Windows\system32\svchost.exe-k imgsvc .....
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate it if one of those who know, would please lead
>>> me to (or give me) instructions for modifying that executable
>>> so that it kicks in every 3 hours instead of every hour.
>>
>> The service isn't starting of its own, it's starting because
>> *something else* is asking it to start. Sometime ago I gave you two
>> commands to get the list of running programs and services when the
>> machine boots, can you run them again and post the results? Reboot
>> the machine and then run these three commands at a Command Prompt,
>> pressing enter after each:
>>
>> net start > c:\test.txt
>> tasklist /svc >> c:\test.txt
>> c:\test.txt
>>
>> Copy and paste the contents of the notepad file to your next post.
>> Please note the single redirector (>) in the first command and the
>> double one (>>)in the second command.
>>
>> John
> Here's the first one, John.

> The second one gave the error pane saying:
>
> Windows cannot find tasklist ..........
> What did I do wrong?

This was discussed in our thread a few weeks ago and at that time you
had gotten it to work. Here is a refresher.

Tasklist is included with Windows XP Professional but it isn't included
in XP Home. Download Tasklist.exe here:

http://www.computerhope.com/download/winxp/tasklist.exe
(Direct download link)

Download the file and place it in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Reboot the computer and run the command just after the reboot, we want
an accurate list of what is running just after the machine is booted and
before you start or run anything else.

John