From: Bill in Co on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 13:37:41 -0500, milt
> <theatreguy_dunspam_(a)miltsweb.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2010 4:12 AM, Johnno wrote:
>>> I know I am in the wrong newsgroup but I haven't been able to locate
>>> one covering Windows 7. Could anyone please tell me where to go.
>>
>> alt.windows7.general but you won't find it on this server.
>

> Please note that your use of the term "this server" isn't really
> correct. What's "this" for you isn't "this" for all of us. For
> example, you may be getting this newsgroup from a Microsoft server,
> but I no longer am. I switched away from the Microsoft server several
> weeks ago.

Ken, do you have any insight as to why MS really decided to discontinue the
newsgroups? What their real reason was (since they were so heavily used)?

From: milt on
On 7/4/2010 3:17 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 13:39:12 -0500, milt
> <theatreguy_dunspam_(a)miltsweb.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2010 8:02 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>>> Kenny
>>>
>>> The al.windows7 newsgroup is a joke and a playground for some people
>>> using obscenities and foul language when they fight among themselves.
>>>

>> Why, just because its not run by Microsoft?
>

> No, that's not the reason, but what Peter says is largely true.
> There's much more garbage there than anything useful.

You're getting the forums confused with the newsgroup.

>> Its a perfectly valid
>> newsgroup to get help with Windows 7.
>

> True. However the amount of garbage is staggering.

Not really, I don't see much garbage, however, trying to sort through
all the noise on the forums is staggering.

>> At least someone is providing
>> newsgroup help even if Microsoft is abandoning it.
>

> Also true. But the ratio of help to garbage is very poor.

Yeah, I guess the forums are better because its all about Win7 but its
about the same 10 questions asked about 100 times and trying to find any
helpful answers? Good luck with that. However, I'm sure as an MVP its
your job to shuttle people to the forums and disregard any alternatives,
especially ones that still show newsgroups as a viable alternative
because that goes against what MS says.

From: milt on
On 7/4/2010 3:51 PM, Bill in Co wrote:

> Ken, do you have any insight as to why MS really decided to discontinue the
> newsgroups? What their real reason was (since they were so heavily used)?

Probably because the majority of their users don't know what a newsgroup is?

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 14:51:08 -0600, "Bill in Co"
<surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 13:37:41 -0500, milt
> > <theatreguy_dunspam_(a)miltsweb.com> wrote:

> >> alt.windows7.general but you won't find it on this server.
> >

> > Please note that your use of the term "this server" isn't really
> > correct. What's "this" for you isn't "this" for all of us. For
> > example, you may be getting this newsgroup from a Microsoft server,
> > but I no longer am. I switched away from the Microsoft server several
> > weeks ago.
>
> Ken, do you have any insight as to why MS really decided to discontinue the
> newsgroups? What their real reason was (since they were so heavily used)?

Insight? No.

My guess is that at least part of the reason is that they wanted to
have more control than they felt they could easily have in newsgroups.
But that's just a guess.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Unknown on
My guess would be cost. If you were the CEO would you continue paying for
it?