From: brickman on
This is a problem that I never had in the past, my daughter has a school
video project and guess who the editor is... Anyway, she brought clips from 3
or 4 different cameras and also in a flash drive, while putting them all
together, doing the title, sub titles, closing, etc etc, WMM crashed a whole
bunch of times with the message that WMM has encountered a problem and has to
close. It did this while making big changes or very small changes to the
project. Many times, while saving the movie file, the remaining time would go
up instead of down which made me cancel the process because it kept getting
longer and longer.

It finally took about ten hours to compile and finish a 6 minute movie.

I am running XP Home, and while I do not foresee to touch WMM very soon
after this fiasco, I nevertheless would like to know what the problem is.
Should I delete WMM and download it again (if that is possible)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
From: PapaJohn on
Your situation is very usual... see these pages of my website for info about
crashes and hangs, along with not being able to save a movie..

http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Issues-Acceleration-and-Codecs.html
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Issues-CantSaveMovie.html

Best case.... uncheck all the line items in Movie Maker's Tools > Options >
Compatibility list and try again....

Worst case... files that don't work in Movie Maker should be converted to
others before importing.

--
PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org

From: brickman on
OK, I went to your website, and I think I broke the record, although
divxaf.ax is not in the list. This is what I have:
ac3filter.ax
AviSplitter.ax
divxdec.ax
ffdshow.ax.manifest
iac25_32.ax (5 of them in different colors and slight wording variation)
ksproxy.ax (7 of them...)
13codex.ax (5 of them)
NeResize.ax

What should I do? Rename ALL and try WMM, or one at a time and try WMM?

Thank you.

From: PapaJohn on
don't rename any of them if you're using MM2.1.... go to the Tools > Options
> Compatibility list and uncheck all the line items.

then try WMM and see if you're missing and need any of them.... no need to
restart Movie Maker after unchecking them

From: brickman on
OK, I unchecked AC3 Filter, Avi-Splitter, Nero Resize, ffdshowaudiodecoder
and ffshowvideodecoder, put a small project together (clips, transitions and
music) and did not crash in the process and it saved it as a movie in the
regular time (about 10 minutes for a 6 minute movie) so I guess I am good to
go so far, I will update if I have any problems again. As always, thank you
very much for your help.