From: Pete Puma on
J G Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:39:47 -0400, Pete Puma wrote:
>
>> Another 0k file was right under it, named, ?success?.
>
> Actually called ?success? or just /success
>
> I think that a file called /success may get created
> as part of the boot up sequence in openSUSE related to disk
> checking and mounting, possibly after a needed fsck of a file system.

I'm getting or generating garbage characters here, so I changed to UTF-8.

Anyway, the file was "success".

The other file was my log-in password.
How did that happen?
From: Pete Puma on
David Bolt wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 Jun 2010 00:39, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Pete Puma painted this mural:
>
>> Being impatient for the new openSuse release, I decided to check an old
>> hard drive to see if anything valuable was on it and install openSuse RC1
>> for the interim 15 days.
>>
>> On the root level of the disk (where I had run openSuse 11.1) I see a 0k
>> file named, ?mypassword?, not actually the words: mypassword, but my
>> actual password?the one I use to log in.
>
> The only file(s) I've found in my / were /success, which my other reply
> shows to be a flag file, a /core file which I couldn't give a monkeys
> about, and /.swap_file which is an emergency swap file for use when I
> suddenly start needing more swap space than I originally set aside.
>
> If an empty file was present with the same name as my password, I would
> be very interested to know why it was there. Maybe examining
> /root/.bash_history , or even ~/.bash_history may put some light on the
> files creation.
>
>> Sitting there in the open. My jaw dropped.
>> I share this logon with no one.
>> Another 0k file was right under it, named, ?success?.
>
> See my other response.
>
>> Neither had any data in them. Should I feel as violated as I do?
>>
>> Did someone get me?
>
> Most unlikely. For starters, unless you've turned off the firewall,
> that is enabled by default. Most, if not all, services don't listen to
> the net, so you're going to be pretty well protected. As to _how_ the
> "mypassword" file was created, as I've never seen such a thing happen
> on any of my systems, I don't have any idea how it could have appeared.

If I'm testing a music server or trying to talk or feed to a Windows
machine, in all honesty, it wouldn't be past me to "temporarily" kill the
openSuse firewall (still behind a NAT router, mind you).
Sometimes I have trouble nailing down which port to open, so I take the
quick out. It may have cost me this time.

It also wouldn't be unusual to forget to turn it back on for a while.

I'll look into those history files and if I find something worth posting
about, I will.
Thanks for all the responses.

From: Paul J Gans on
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
>On Wednesday 30 Jun 2010 00:39, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
>Pete Puma painted this mural:

>> Being impatient for the new openSuse release, I decided to check an old hard
>> drive to see if anything valuable was on it and install openSuse RC1 for the
>> interim 15 days.
>>
>> On the root level of the disk (where I had run openSuse 11.1) I see a 0k
>> file named, ?mypassword?, not actually the words: mypassword, but my actual
>> password?the one I use to log in.

>The only file(s) I've found in my / were /success, which my other reply
>shows to be a flag file, a /core file which I couldn't give a monkeys
>about, and /.swap_file which is an emergency swap file for use when I
>suddenly start needing more swap space than I originally set aside.

>If an empty file was present with the same name as my password, I would
>be very interested to know why it was there. Maybe examining
>/root/.bash_history , or even ~/.bash_history may put some light on the
>files creation.

>> Sitting there in the open. My jaw dropped.
>> I share this logon with no one.
>> Another 0k file was right under it, named, ?success?.

>See my other response.

>> Neither had any data in them. Should I feel as violated as I do?
>>
>> Did someone get me?

>Most unlikely. For starters, unless you've turned off the firewall,
>that is enabled by default. Most, if not all, services don't listen to
>the net, so you're going to be pretty well protected. As to _how_ the
>"mypassword" file was created, as I've never seen such a thing happen
>on any of my systems, I don't have any idea how it could have appeared.

I have done some dumb things in my time. One was to login,
enter my password, get distracted, and type it again after
I was logged in. It showed up as a plain filename. I stupidly
sat there and watched it all happen. And no, I can't reproduce
it.

But I cured it with a decent dose of caffine, after which I
cleaned everything up and all was fine. And yes, it was
a single user (plus root) machine.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
First  |  Prev  |