From: Pete Puma on
David Bolt wrote:

> du / --max-depth=1 --one-file-system --exclude=/proc \
> --exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys | sort -nr

Thanks for that. And here's what I get out of that (now) 32 gig partition:

20071072 /
13481820 /tmp
5643968 /usr
508484 /var
164756 /opt
146932 /lib
83536 /etc
18248 /boot
13368 /sbin
7560 /bin
1356 /srv
1008 /root
16 /lost+found
4 /selinux
4 /mnt
4 /media
4 /home
0 /dev

Wow! (Wasn't there a KDE 3.5 app that did a graphic representation of this?
Can't remember the name.)
One of the magazines recommended BleachBit as a cleaner and I've used it
recently, but it doesn't seem to be attacking the KDE temp files as check-
marked.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net

I just ran a "BleachBit" analysis before wiping anything and it offered to
recover 7.6MB, which doesn't solve my problems too well.

As far as virus and rootkits go, I installed what I feel is an excellent
Linux app, BitDefender's free home user version and of course, RKHunter and
"check rootkit".
BD scored really well in a test by one of the magazines a few months ago.

I need to learn a better way to eliminate temp files. How do I attack these
temp files?
From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:08:24 -0400
Pete Puma <pete(a)puma.org> wrote:

> I need to learn a better way to eliminate temp files. How do I attack these
> temp files?

Yast -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor

System -> Cron -> ... the first six entries should be of interest,
especially CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP and TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR would
be a good start for a quick fix.

As I mentioned, if you have Yast (Software) set to save packages,
it will consume a lot of space (/var/cache).

You could run zypper's clean command to clear them up ... the
"-a" switch will clean up the packages and meta-data (you'll most
likely want to keep the meta-data).

mtobler(a)ren:~> sudo zypper clean
root's password:
All repositories have been cleaned up.
mtobler(a)ren:~>

Be sure you have your browsers set to clear their cache every
now and then.

--
If you took all the students that felt asleep in class and laid them
end to end, they'd be a lot more comfortable.

From: Ulick Magee on
Pete Puma wrote:

> I need to learn a better way to eliminate temp files. How do I attack these
> temp files?

Depends what is generating them. That is a LOT of stuff in /tmp.

A default openSUSE install doesn't normally generate a lot of
space-consuming stuff over time, so what have you changed?

Depends also on whether your system periodically reboots or stays up for
a long time.

Depending on what it is, the solution could be to turn off verbose
logging on whatever is generating this, or maybe a cron job to keep logs
for only whatever length of time is appropriate, and delete older stuff.
Or you might want to keep logs for a long time but compress them so they
can be read if needed but take up less space if not. It depends on what
you need.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: Pete Puma on
Ulick Magee wrote:

> Pete Puma wrote:
>>
>> I need to learn a better way to eliminate temp files. How do I attack
>> these temp files?
>
> Depends what is generating them. That is a LOT of stuff in /tmp.
>
> A default openSUSE install doesn't normally generate a lot of
> space-consuming stuff over time, so what have you changed?
>
> Depends also on whether your system periodically reboots or stays up for
> a long time.
>
> Depending on what it is, the solution could be to turn off verbose
> logging on whatever is generating this, or maybe a cron job to keep logs
> for only whatever length of time is appropriate, and delete older stuff.
> Or you might want to keep logs for a long time but compress them so they
> can be read if needed but take up less space if not. It depends on what
> you need.

I did add Gnome and some new repositories for the latest files, etc.
Still, that's a ton of temps. Ya think?
From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:08:24 -0400
Pete Puma <pete(a)puma.org> wrote:

> Wow! (Wasn't there a KDE 3.5 app that did a graphic representation of this?
> Can't remember the name.)

Yes, it's called "kde3-filelight" and is avail in the main repository

Filelight creates a complex, but data-rich graphical representation
of the files and directories on your computer.

There's "kdirstat" ...

--
IBM had a PL/I,
Its syntax worse than JOSS;