From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 06 Jul 2010 02:25, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
mjt painted this mural:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 11:14:07 +0100
> Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:

>> It can be useful* to have a reasonably large dummy file owned by root
>> in critical partitions, so if space runs out you can delete it to get
>> things working again and then have time to troubleshoot the problem.
>
> A SysAdmin worth his/her salt won't
> let the system get to that point.

Even if the reason for it happening is an obscure bug that, when
triggered, starts writing huge numbers of temporary files or the
flooding log files? Or, where it's a web server logging accesses,
suddenly gets /.'d and fills up the logs due to the shear number of
accesses?

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b

From: mjt on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:05:19 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> >> It can be useful* to have a reasonably large dummy file owned by
> >> root in critical partitions, so if space runs out you can delete
> >> it to get things working again and then have time to troubleshoot
> >> the problem.
> >
> > A SysAdmin worth his/her salt won't
> > let the system get to that point.
>
> Even if the reason for it happening is an obscure bug that, when
> triggered, starts writing huge numbers of temporary files or the
> flooding log files? Or, where it's a web server logging accesses,
> suddenly gets /.'d and fills up the logs due to the shear number of
> accesses?

There's ways around those situations ...
I'll let ya mull over it a bit :)

--
The debate rages on: Is PL/I Bachtrian or Dromedary?
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: mjt on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:38:39 +0200
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> mjt wrote:
> > A SysAdmin worth his/her salt won't
> > let the system get to that point.
>
> Salt is free. So what you are saying is ...

I'm thinking in terms of the after-effect when
salt is sprinkled on an open wound :)

--
Rocky's Lemma of Innovation Prevention:
Unless the results are known in advance,

From: Lew Pitcher on
On July 6, 2010 13:24, in alt.os.linux.suse, houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid
wrote:

> David Bolt wrote:
>> Even if the reason for it happening is an obscure bug that, when
>> triggered, starts writing huge numbers of temporary files or the
>> flooding log files? Or, where it's a web server logging accesses,
>> suddenly gets /.'d and fills up the logs due to the shear number of
>> accesses?
>
> Hence having a seperate /var partition. I am so smart that each and
> every directory is a seperate partition. I have several thousand
> partitions for that reason.
>
> I am the bestest sysadmin.
>
> houghi

You forgot the
;-)
smiley.

Seriously, there /are/ directories that would be better suited to their own
partitions. And, there are directories that would /not/ be suited to such
isolation.

For instance, it is often a good idea to put /boot into it's own partition,
which can be mounted r/o, or not mounted at all under general use.
Likewise, the /usr tree can (and often does) occupy a r/o mountpoint. And,
of course, putting /var into it's own partition is often a good thing,
limiting the damage a runaway logfile can cause to filesystem freespace.

OTOH, /etc, /bin, and /sbin, should normally reside within the root
filesystem, and not on their own mountpoints (although the use of initrd
can mitigate this rule a bit).

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher

From: mjt on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 14:29:38 -0400
Lew Pitcher <lpitcher(a)teksavvy.com> wrote:

> Seriously, there /are/ directories that would be better suited to
> their own partitions. And, there are directories that would /not/ be
> suited to such isolation.
>
> For instance, it is often a good idea to put /boot into it's own
> partition, which can be mounted r/o, or not mounted at all under
> general use. Likewise, the /usr tree can (and often does) occupy a
> r/o mountpoint. And, of course, putting /var into it's own partition
> is often a good thing, limiting the damage a runaway logfile can
> cause to filesystem freespace.
>
> OTOH, /etc, /bin, and /sbin, should normally reside within the root
> filesystem, and not on their own mountpoints (although the use of
> initrd can mitigate this rule a bit).

All good advice ... unfortunately, the average Joe/Joan won't
understand any of this ... but it would behoove them to know
and implement this [typical] layout (even for a home box).

--
"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it."
- Steven Wright

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Openoffice