From: Paul Furman on
LOL! wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman<paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:

>>> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
>>
>> No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>> a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>> mountain as seen from the road?
>
> When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
> usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
> damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
> below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
> like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
> to find more.

Well, you said it was a rare wilderness discovery but it's obviously
taken from the same roadside vista point as the one in the link.

OK, there's a 1 mile round trip trail too:
http://www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=5

I've never been north of Crater Lake Oregon in the PNW... would like to
go some day...
From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:
: On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
: wrote:
:
: >LOL! wrote:
: >>>>>>>> :
: >>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
: >>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
: >>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
: >>>>>>>> :
: >>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
: >>>
: >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
: >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
: >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
: >>> itself."
: >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
: >>
: >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
: >
: >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
: >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
: >mountain as seen from the road?
:
: When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
: usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
: damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
: below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
: like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
: to find more.

If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he might
not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
even carry a map.

Bob
From: LOL! on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:44:08 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:
>: On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >LOL! wrote:
>: >>>>>>>> :
>: >>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
>: >>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
>: >>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
>: >>>>>>>> :
>: >>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>: >>>
>: >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
>: >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
>: >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
>: >>> itself."
>: >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
>: >>
>: >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
>: >
>: >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>: >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>: >mountain as seen from the road?
>:
>: When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
>: usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
>: damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
>: below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
>: like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
>: to find more.
>
>If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he might
>not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
>the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
>even carry a map.
>
>Bob

When you can easily and contentedly live off the land most anywhere on the
planet, then everywhere is just as nice as the next place. You can't get
"lost" if you are perfectly fine wherever you are. I'll check topo maps
once I get back to base-camp, if there was a good reason for it. I've never
owned a cell-phone in my life. I see absolutely no use for one. Insecure
and frightened children who are afraid to be alone for more than a few
hours or afraid of getting lost feel the need to carry a cell-phone. I
certainly don't.

LOL!

From: Bruce on
wrote:

>>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
>>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
>>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
>>> itself."
>>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
>>
>> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
>
>No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>mountain as seen from the road?

You have to sympathise.

He takes a two week trek, suffering untold hardships, and happens to
find a remote, unnamed, unmarked waterfall that he believes only very
few people have ever seen. He takes a snapshot of it.

Only later does he find out that he could have taken an easy afternoon
drive and taken his snapshot from the side of the road.

Don't you just *hate* it when that happens?

As I said, you have to sympathise.

From: George Kerby on

On 7/31/10 1:13 AM, in article uec756dn77futsb2mqsis8hvrr3i0a86fu(a)4ax.com,
"LOL!" <lol(a)lol.org> wrote:

> While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually climbing to
> the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a saddle in a
> deep ravine.
>
> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........(snore).......zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZz
z...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....zzzzzzzzz.......(p-p-p-ph-h-h-a-a-a-r-r-rt-t-t).......
....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....(yawn)...zzzzzzzzzzz....

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: What Plant Is This?
Next: vegetable