From: George Kerby on

On 7/31/10 2:32 PM, in article mvt856del83khejcr53j0jh9iaimjcoqvq(a)4ax.com,
"LOL!" <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:

>>> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
>>
>> No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>> a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>> mountain as seen from the road?
>
> When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
> usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
> damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
> below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
> like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
> to find more.

What about a self-portrait in a pool of quicksand?

From: George Kerby on

On 7/31/10 2:44 PM, in article 82v856p4me3jik381t960kmps19rkm5bue(a)4ax.com,
"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:
> : On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> : wrote:
> :
> : >LOL! wrote:
> : >>>>>>>> :
> : >>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually
> climbing to
> : >>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a
> saddle in a
> : >>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
> : >>>>>>>> :
> : >>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
> : >>>
> : >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
> : >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be easily
> : >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
> : >>> itself."
> : >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
> : >>
> : >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
> : >
> : >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
> : >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
> : >mountain as seen from the road?
> :
> : When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
> : usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
> : damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
> : below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
> : like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
> : to find more.
>
> If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he might
> not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
> the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
> even carry a map.
>
> Bob

Tonto needs no stinkin' GPS.

He travels by the stars at night and moss by day...

Infidel!

<G!>

From: George Kerby on

On 7/31/10 2:55 PM, in article ifv856lu52fcsdsk1tmv9gsbtpmjr2e6ho(a)4ax.com,
"LOL!" <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:44:08 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:32:21 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:
>> : On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:20:43 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
>> : wrote:
>> :
>> : >LOL! wrote:
>> : >>>>>>>> :
>> : >>>>>>>> : While hiking around Mr. Rainer (for a few weeks, and eventually
>> climbing to
>> : >>>>>>>> : the top), discovered these unnamed unmarked falls back behind a
>> saddle in a
>> : >>>>>>>> : deep ravine.
>> : >>>>>>>> :
>> : >>>>>>>> :<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4845103561_0c2571919f_b.jpg>
>> : >>>
>> : >>> http://www.aaronswaterfallworld.com/marthafalls.htm
>> : >>> "Martha Falls is one of the best falls in Mt. Rainier that can be
>> easily
>> : >>> viewed. ...the view from the side of the road is pretty nice by
>> : >>> itself."
>> : >>> Note that the photo shows nearly identical framing.
>> : >>
>> : >> What's the matter, TROLL, jealous that you weren't invited on that trek?
>> : >
>> : >No, I was just wondering, was it a newly discovered waterfall, found on
>> : >a 2 week wilderness trek, or the most easily viewed scenic fall on the
>> : >mountain as seen from the road?
>> :
>> : When I hike I try to never follow roads nor others' trails, it's why I
>> : usually get photos that nobody else has ever taken. Tourist-traps be
>> : damned. What's the big deal if there was some minor road somewhere above or
>> : below where I was hiking? If that is indeed the same falls. It sure looks
>> : like it is but I can't say with 100% certainty. I take a photo and move on
>> : to find more.
>>
>> If a wilderness hiker paid that little attention to his surroundings, he
>> might
>> not survive long. If you get lost out of range of a cell tower, knowing where
>> the nearest road is may be your best hope. But it sounds as though you don't
>> even carry a map.
>>
>> Bob
>
> When you can easily and contentedly live off the land most anywhere on the
> planet, then everywhere is just as nice as the next place. You can't get
> "lost" if you are perfectly fine wherever you are. I'll check topo maps
> once I get back to base-camp, if there was a good reason for it. I've never
> owned a cell-phone in my life. I see absolutely no use for one. Insecure
> and frightened children who are afraid to be alone for more than a few
> hours or afraid of getting lost feel the need to carry a cell-phone. I
> certainly don't.

Instead, you pound the keys continuously day and night on your mom's
basement computer, ya jack wagon. How secure is that Tonto?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: What Plant Is This?
Next: vegetable