From: oraclmaster on
I am new to Suse 10.0. Can someone walk me through the steps to host a
website? There is a folder in my home directory called public_html, is
this the directory in which I place my index.html? How do I configure
ports to share my website? Can I change my website address to something
creative besides an IP address, such as user(a)user.org or some such?

From: piscesboy on
I didn't mean to say user(a)user.org, that's an email address not a web
URL, but you get my point.

From: Michael on
oraclmaster(a)gmail.com wrote:

> I am new to Suse 10.0. Can someone walk me through the steps to host a
> website? There is a folder in my home directory called public_html, is
> this the directory in which I place my index.html? How do I configure
> ports to share my website? Can I change my website address to something
> creative besides an IP address, such as user(a)user.org or some such?

1.The index.html goes here :

/srv/www/htdocs

2. Use Yast to adjust your Firewall to let traffic through the appropriate
port.

3. If you are using dhcp to get an IP address from your ISP than NO. You
must use the assigned IP address. Otherwise you must get a static IP from
them and you'll need to register your domain name to get an address that
other can reach by typing in this domain name.

Just a short answer. I suggest you read the apache docs !!
From: David Wright on
oraclmaster(a)gmail.com wrote:

> I am new to Suse 10.0. Can someone walk me through the steps to host a
> website? There is a folder in my home directory called public_html, is
> this the directory in which I place my index.html? How do I configure
> ports to share my website? Can I change my website address to something
> creative besides an IP address, such as user(a)user.org or some such?

Website securing or hardening is a big topic and is why security consultants
get paid the big bucks. Think carefully and learn as much as you can about
Apache before letting it loose on the internet! BTW I would recommend the
same if you were going the MS Windows/IIS root as well, this isn't because
it is Apache ;-)

For testing a website internally, it is much easier, and as Michael said,
the default location is in the /svr/www directory, although you can change
this if you want/need.

If you haven't registered a domain name then you won't be able to assign
your server a real name. Also, if your internet connection doesn't have a
static IP address, you won't be able to give it a proper name:

1) Names are registered through ICANN and subsidiary bodies around the world
and several smaller companies offer brokerage services to set up names for
you.

2) You can register any domain name you like, but be warned most of the
trading names (Oracle, SUSE, Novell, Microsoft etc.) have been taken by
their respective owners and if you choose a brand name you will usually
either not have it allowed if you don't hold the title, or if it is
allowed, be prepared to face a legal battle with the official owners once
they find out!

3) The registered name is then assigned an IP address. This address is
propagated to the DNS servers around the world. This can take several hours
or even days to propagate in worst case scenarios. Therefore, if you don't
have a static IP address for your internet connection - or your server
isn't in a hosting centre - you won't be able to use a registered name
because your IP address will change every time your connection is
re-established.

For example, even though I am on a 24/7 DSL connection, the ISP forces a
disconnect and reconnect every 24 hours, at which time I receive a new
address for my connection. Some very considerate ISP's provide you with a
static address by default and others will allow you to obtain one for an
extra fee. You will need to check what your provider does before you can
register your address!

There are more hurdles to get over before you can assign a real name to your
server, but those are the main ones.

HOWEVER: Some companies like dyndns.org provide dynamic naming of your
server. This means you register a name with them and tell them your current
IP address (of your gateway, not necessarily your server!) and they will
allow anybody giving that name access to your server or network.

This is a restricted service. Your named address will be something like:
myserver.dyndns.org. And every time your internet connection is
re-established, you will need to tell dyndns.org your new IP address. If it
lies "idle" (i.e. a new address isn't provided for 6 weeks) then you will
get a warning, then the name will not be valid any more and will go back
into the pool.

Some routers and firewalls allow the automatic configuration of this
service, so that when the connection is re-established, your firewall or
router will automatically tell dyndns.org your new address. If your
equipment doesn't do that, there are several downlaodable utilities that
will also automatically do this for you.

I hope that gives you some pointers and ideas...

Dave
From: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz on
In <1137714833.375097.180480(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, on
01/19/2006
at 03:53 PM, oraclmaster(a)gmail.com said:

>I am new to Suse 10.0. Can someone walk me through the steps to host
>a website?

I can't run you throught the steps, but read the documentation for a
program called Apache.

>There is a folder in my home directory called public_html, is this
>the directory in which I place my index.html?

I believe so.

>How do I configure ports to share my website?

EXPN?

>Can I change my website address to something
>creative besides an IP address, such as user(a)user.org or some such?

You can register your own domain, and you can create lins within your
web site, but the basic structure is beyond your control. Google for
URI and URL.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2