From: Steve Corr on
Hi Sue

Well if I'm to believe the Western Digital diagnostic tool then yes they did
sustain damge,
it reported bad file clusters or something like that.
It seems very odd that both of them should be damaged. I know turning of the
power can be
risky when the drive is active but on both occasions windows was not booted.

I did reformat and re-ran the diagnostic tool again on both drives and still
got errors.
I'm not too concerned about the drives as they were both under warrantee and
WD are
pretty quick in sending out replacements.

As for the other checks I haven't done them my self but being still under
warantte I returned
it to gear4music and their man told me they ran ectensive tests on all
componants and the power supply
and found them all to be working.

I'm inclined to rule out the possibility of the board making contact with
the case and cuasing problems for
same reason as above, and also because after they sent iy back the first
time I opend the box to discover
that the case had been badley damaged by parcel force. It looked like some
one had taken a sledge hammer to it.
Something I've been tempted to do lately : - ))

So if it had been making contact with the case the first time I sent it for
repair It's unlikely it would be hapening
again as they have put it in a brand new case.

I've emailed asus and descibed the problem and they say I should hear
something back by this time tommorow.
I think I'm going to have to get a replacement so I'm glad it's still under
warantee as my wallet is still walking with
a limp after christmas.

PS, before anyone mentions it I have updated the BIOS in the hope that might
do some good but it's had no effect.

From: reqluq on
Sue, he said it happens with everything disconnected... drives etc..
req

From: Sue Morton on
Yes I know... but if "everything is disconnected" it simply *can't* boot
LOL So I can't really judge from the words in some internet post... have
to make some leaps.

Here's a snip of what I mean:
>>> If I disconnect the power completely and leave it for a good while it
>>> will
>>> work, but only if I totally disconnect the power.

I'm sure he meant "it will work for awhile after I plug it back in" but
that's not what he wrote. Hence I take this stuff with a grain of salt :-)
--
Sue Morton

From: Sue Morton on
Windows doesn't have to be booted for the corruption I was talking about, to
occur. But the drives would have to have power.

I've not used WD's diagnostics much, but I'm inclined to think you can trust
those results -- if after normal formatting (and you did NOT use a "quick
format", right?) the diags still give errors then WD will know what to look
for.

The reason I was asking whether the drives just lost formatting or were
physically damaged, was to try to pinpoint the cause of the problem -- those
would in my experience have potentially different possible causes.

If you trust that Gear4Music really did do all the testing they say they
did, then before you get it back (or get a replacement) I'd recommend
thorough testing and examination of your house power and everything
connected to it on the circuit for the machine. I'd examine and test the
physical outlet itself, also the entire circuit that outlet is on. examine
and test power strips, surge protectors, battery backups etc. you use on
that circuit, not necessarily just for the PC.

You could also first take it to a relative or friend's place (not in any way
associated with the power to your home), plug it in and leave it run for
awhile. If after it has run longer without trouble than it did at your
home, and you've inspected/replaced your electrical situation, bring it home
and see if it recurs.

I'd suspect something simple like performing a hard reset on the CMOS and
replacing the batter, but I've not heard of a CMOS problem causing causing
physical damage. I suppose it's possible.

Let's hope you get a replacement, there's nothing wrong with your house
power, and all's well.
--
Sue Morton

From: reqluq on
But he should be able to get into the bios no?
req
> Yes I know... but if "everything is disconnected" it simply *can't* boot
> LOL So I can't really judge from the words in some internet post... have
> to make some leaps.
>
> Here's a snip of what I mean:
>
> I'm sure he meant "it will work for awhile after I plug it back in" but
> that's not what he wrote. Hence I take this stuff with a grain of salt
> :-)
> --
> Sue Morton
>
> "reqluq" <scredcropshonnospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sue, he said it happens with everything disconnected... drives etc..
>> req
>> "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> Even with hands-on access to the system it can be a bit of a puzzle.
>>> Some things that come to mind:
>>>
>>> 1. Do you know that the disks actually sustained damage? The reason I
>>> ask, the type of disk corruption I'm used to dealing with, is to the OS
>>> level formatting of the disk. The disk itself is unchanged (no new bad
>>> sectors at low-level, no damaged MBR track area etc.). IOW, just a
>>> windows-level reformat is all that's needed to put the disk back in
>>> service, there's nothing wrong with the disk itself.
>>>
>>> 2. Have you tested your power supply for correct voltages etc.
>>>
>>> 3. Have you tried cleaning the board and cards and reseating
>>> everything? I'd use a strong vacuum first to remove as much dust etc. as
>>> possible, then use compressed air to blow out the rest
>>>
>>> 4. Have you visually inspected the board for anomalies -- bulging
>>> capacitors for example?
>>>
>>> 5. Do you have a temperature sensing program to tell you if the system
>>> is overheating? Try this free program:
>>> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and see what your temps are
>>> --
>>> Sue Morton
>>>
>>> "Ardcorr" <purtington(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Where's EZPlayer Pro?
Next: Backing Up To Ext HD