From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:50:24 -0600
Bob Melson <amia9018(a)mypacks.net> wrote:

> But the question then arises - if the "repairs" occurred within 24 hours
> of the release, could that release not have been delayed by those same 24
> hours in order to prevent the observed breakage? OK, immediate thought is
> that the breakage and the consequent kvetching is what led to the repairs;
> dunno if that IS the case or not, but it seems to me to be beside the
> point. For that, see above or my earlier posts.

A common problem I've seen over and over again is that it's not
until a release happens and large numbers of people try it that the
problems come out of the woodwork, the relatively small number of people
trying the release candidates or tracking the stable branch just don't
cover all the possibilities.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
From: Bob Melson on
On Tuesday 30 March 2010 03:19, Ahem A Rivet's Shot (steveo(a)eircom.net)
opined:

<snip>
> A common problem I've seen over and over again is that it's not
> until a release happens and large numbers of people try it that the
> problems come out of the woodwork, the relatively small number of people
> trying the release candidates or tracking the stable branch just don't
> cover all the possibilities.

You're no doubt right. Which makes Warren Block's comment vis-a-vis
testing earlier on this thread all the more appropriate. And, yet, I
can't help but feel that those pieces that hundreds of other ports depend
on shouldn't be released into the wild until they ARE fully tested.
Whether in the present instance it was cairo or png, I can't honestly say,
although the error initially thrown by cairo did point in png's direction.
Maybe, just maybe, ports ought to be released on a schedule, say quarterly,
for the sake of argument. That would provide time for testing and for
creation of the appropriate packages, but wouldn't preclude the release of
security updates or other "specials". I don't know that this would improve
anything, but this was the way the big boys played back when I was a
working stiff and I recall it worked pretty well.

Bob

-----
Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
Ralph Waldo Emerson