From: Bob Melson on
Ports freeze is over and the overnight update of the ports tree results in
literally 100s of ports to be updated in order to stay current. Problem
is, as it has been the last several cycles, that several of the ports
which are dependencies for many others - cairo, for example - are broken
or are themselves dependent on broken, vulnerable or deprecated ports.

Now I KNOW these problems will be resolved, the sun will continue to shine,
the birds will sing and all will be right with the world. But what I find
disturbing is that this has become a regular thing, part of the rush to
get things out the door to meet some sort of self-imposed deadline. (And,
before anybody says it, no, I don't have a better idea or way of doing
things and my programming skills have atrophied in the several years since
retirement, so building that better mousetrap isn't an option).

C'mon, guys. I realize you're volunteers and your time working on ports
comes at the expense of family, friends and leisure, but this has become
ridiculous.

Bob Melson

-----
Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From: Giorgos Keramidas on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:08:43 -0600, Bob Melson <amia9018(a)mypacks.net> wrote:
> Ports freeze is over and the overnight update of the ports tree
> results in literally 100s of ports to be updated in order to stay
> current. Problem is, as it has been the last several cycles, that
> several of the ports which are dependencies for many others - cairo,
> for example - are broken or are themselves dependent on broken,
> vulnerable or deprecated ports.
>
> Now I KNOW these problems will be resolved, the sun will continue to
> shine, the birds will sing and all will be right with the world. But
> what I find disturbing is that this has become a regular thing, part
> of the rush to get things out the door to meet some sort of
> self-imposed deadline. (And, before anybody says it, no, I don't have
> a better idea or way of doing things and my programming skills have
> atrophied in the several years since retirement, so building that
> better mousetrap isn't an option).
>
> C'mon, guys. I realize you're volunteers and your time working on
> ports comes at the expense of family, friends and leisure, but this
> has become ridiculous.

I just started a portmaster run a few minutes ago. No broken ports so
far, but it will hell a bit more if you report the broken ones...

From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
Bob Melson wrote:
> Ports freeze is over and the overnight update of the ports tree results in
> literally 100s of ports to be updated in order to stay current. Problem

Well, they told you to keep your hands off ports for at least ten days:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-March/060246.html

So, why didn't you listen?
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: mechanic on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:23:04 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Bob Melson wrote:
>> Ports freeze is over and the overnight update of the ports tree results in
>> literally 100s of ports to be updated in order to stay current. Problem
>
> Well, they told you to keep your hands off ports for at least ten days:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-March/060246.html
>
> So, why didn't you listen?

But who reads that stuff?
--
mechanic
From: Bob Melson on
On Sunday 28 March 2010 15:23, Torfinn Ingolfsen (tingo(a)start.no) opined:

> Bob Melson wrote:
>> Ports freeze is over and the overnight update of the ports tree results
>> in
>> literally 100s of ports to be updated in order to stay current. Problem
>
> Well, they told you to keep your hands off ports for at least ten days:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-March/060246.html
>
> So, why didn't you listen?
> --
> Torfinn Ingolfsen,
> Norway
Well, Torfinn, it's like this, y'see: I read /usr/ports/UPDATING, which,
at the time, had no mention of the current mess and how I had to hold my
mouth or how many times I might have to turn widdershins while encanting
the FreeBSD spell.

they're not active porters, maintainers, commiters or otherwise actively
involved with development.

-----