From: Andreas Kohlbach on
David Murray wrote on 28. June 2010:

> You know.. I had to stop and think about it, but I don't recall ever
> actually completing any games on the C64. I think I came close with
> Ultima V on my C128 and I think I came close with International
> Karate. But games like pacman, space invaders, q-bert, frogger,
> tetris, atomino, etc, never even got close to winning the games.
> Then again.. I vaguely recall possibly winning Pitfall II.

I think latter games can't be mastered. As they have no end. Some, like
Pacman (on the Arcade machine at least) crash when you have reached a
certain score.

Or you might have read about the guy making a new record for Asteroids
recently. Also that game you cannot complete.
--
Andreas
From: joviyach on
On Jun 26, 7:40 pm, Andreas Kohlbach <a...(a)spamfence.net> wrote:
> I hope this is not off topic here.
>
> Back in the "good days" when I was a late teen/early twen in the mid 80s
> a friend and me spent endless hours playing some catching games. Games we
> knew they had an end, and wouldn't repeat endlessly (like Pacman, which
> would crash in the arcade version at some point due to a counter overflow
> and improper handling of that).
>
> There are at least two games we spent days to finish it. We were probably
> not good players as others might have done this in hours.
>
> One was Pharaoh's Curse. Luckily here you received a password for a
> completed level so you could pick up at the start of a new level.
>
> The other was Bruce Lee. That not only crashed at a certain level. You
> also had to start from the scratch if you lost all lives. That was a
> really hard one.
>
> The friend also claimed he finished Elite without cheating. I only made
> it to Commander while playing on the C64 back then. I tried it again
> (without cheating, as there were cheats available I think) in 2000. But
> after some days I accidentally overwrote the save file, so I gave up.
>
> What games did you finish? And how long did it take?
> --
> Andreas

I made it through quite a few games on the Commodore. Pirates! Bards
Tale 1 and 2. Impossible Mission 2. Someone mentioned Bruce Lee... The
one I am most fond of was Neuromancer, because it was a collaborative
effort between three of us. My pen pal in Germany would send clues. My
friend up the street was playing it at the same time, and each night
we would trade our new information and go a little bit further with
it. I also liked the "real time" feel of that game. I would get a job
in the game, and then leave it running while I was in school for the
day, when I came home in the evening I would have a couple of
paychecks saved up to buy a better cyberspace deck, or whatever else I
needed. Some awesome memories!
From: Rudolf Harras on
joviyach schrieb:

>I made it through quite a few games on the Commodore. Pirates!

You can complete Pirates?

>Someone mentioned Bruce Lee...

I also managed this one but my version seems to be one of the versions
that like to crash about 2/3 of the game with also a 2/3 chance.

>The
>one I am most fond of was Neuromancer, because it was a collaborative
>effort between three of us.

I would like to record it for the C64 Game Archive but it is even too
complicated with a solution.

Also I completed Impossible Mission II and Oerm (which nowadays seems
easy). For the first Part of Impossible Mission I needed the manuals I
found in the internet. Also I never could finish the last level of Hard
Hat Mack.
From: Rudolf Harras on
Andreas Kohlbach schrieb:

>I think latter games can't be mastered. As they have no end. Some, like
>Pacman (on the Arcade machine at least) crash when you have reached a
>certain score.

On the C64 too??
From: Payton Byrd on
The games I "conquered"

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Bards Tale
Bards Tale III: Thief of Fate
Kennedy Approach
M.U.L.E.
Archon
Battle Chess
Lords of Conquest

Wow, I spent a lot of time playing those games.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: 2010 FIFA Cup and Commodore 64
Next: C64 errors - RAM?