From: Joe788 on
http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/75473/en/3667_WP_Explct_Modl.pdf

Performance issues:

In a situation where time-to-market is critical for a company’s
success,
software and hardware performance issues can have an unacceptable
and detrimental impact on product design cycle length. In
the 2006 Aberdeen Group study, companies that typically develop
large, complex designs reported slow application performance (31%)
and difficulty in managing the complex CAD relationships associated
with their large assemblies (39%) among their foremost concerns or
problems with their current CAD technology.

Unexpected changes:

Companies that frequently face changing customer and product
requirements throughout the development cycle require an approach
to 3D design that’s flexible to change. Unfortunately, many
traditional
CAD systems limit designers’ ability to respond to unexpected
changes, just as these systems inhibit designers when they want to
repurpose designs. Once again, traditional parametric CAD systems
require knowledge about the design intent of a model, particularly
knowledge of how it was created.

“We found [traditional CAD systems] to be incompatible with our design
environment. It is too difficult to make changes to designs,
especially when working in a team environment where our designers will
work on each other’s models. The resulting delays put the project at
risk of not meeting development deadlines.”
— Hideki Obuchi, Olympus Team Leader

“Too often, I would remodel parts rather than spend
the time to reorder the feature tree to make
the changes. That wasted both my time and my
customer’s money.”
— Larry Potts, President, Two Rivers Studio

“The explicit modeling approach has proven much
faster for us. Even after many iterations of design
changes, the models can be handled by anybody in
the team. All our unexpected changes could easily
be incorporated into the models.”
—Marten Verhoeven, Head of ICT, Van Beek BV

From: Joe788 on
On May 29, 7:56 am, Joe788 <larryro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/75473/en/3667_WP_Explct_Modl.pdf
>
> Performance issues:
>
> In a situation where time-to-market is critical for a company’s
> success,
> software and hardware performance issues can have an unacceptable
> and detrimental impact on product design cycle length. In
> the 2006 Aberdeen Group study, companies that typically develop
> large, complex designs reported slow application performance (31%)
> and difficulty in managing the complex CAD relationships associated
> with their large assemblies (39%) among their foremost concerns or
> problems with their current CAD technology.
>
> Unexpected changes:
>
> Companies that frequently face changing customer and product
> requirements throughout the development cycle require an approach
> to 3D design that’s flexible to change. Unfortunately, many
> traditional
> CAD systems limit designers’ ability to respond to unexpected
> changes, just as these systems inhibit designers when they want to
> repurpose designs. Once again, traditional parametric CAD systems
> require knowledge about the design intent of a model, particularly
> knowledge of how it was created.
>
> “We found [traditional CAD systems] to be incompatible with our design
> environment. It is too difficult to make changes to designs,
> especially when working in a team environment where our designers will
> work on each other’s models. The resulting delays put the project at
> risk of not meeting development deadlines.”
> — Hideki Obuchi, Olympus Team Leader
>
> “Too often, I would remodel parts rather than spend
> the time to reorder the feature tree to make
> the changes. That wasted both my time and my
> customer’s money.”
> — Larry Potts, President, Two Rivers Studio
>
> “The explicit modeling approach has proven much
> faster for us. Even after many iterations of design
> changes, the models can be handled by anybody in
> the team. All our unexpected changes could easily
> be incorporated into the models.”
> —Marten Verhoeven, Head of ICT, Van Beek BV

LOL! PTC is the Jihad Du Jour, huh?