From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Gamer101" <Gamer101(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| I installed malwarebytes and found this little gift on my system:

| (Trojan.DNSChanger)

| It seem to have messed around with the security center, but im not sure what
| it did to it. Does anyone know exactly what it did to my security center?

NOTE: The DNSChanger trojan may also have an peer RootKit.,

The pupose of the trojan is to modify the Domain Name System (DNS) resolution that your PC
performs. Instead of using choice or ISP DNS servers, it places malicious servers in the
DNS server list instead. Thus redirecting you from legitimate web sites to malicious web
sites.

Additionally this infector tragets both MAC and PC as well as can modify the DNS table of
SOHO Routers if they are not secured properly.

To make sure you do NOT have the RootKit, scan your PC with Gmer.
http://www.gmer.net/#files

--
Dave

From: Andy Medina on
Removal instructions for Trojan.DNSChanger:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5398

Analysis of Trojan.DNSChanger is at:

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-011811-1222-99&tabid=2

The analysis does not mention any changes to the Security Center.

From: Derek Knight on

"Leonard Agoado" <len(a)mwswire.com> wrote in message news:#WE1WnAXKHA.4816(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "Gamer101" <Gamer101(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>

>>I installed malwarebytes and found this little gift on my system:
>>
>> (Trojan.DNSChanger)
>>
>> It seem to have messed around with the security center, but im not
>> sure what
>> it did to it. Does anyone know exactly what it did to my security
>> center?
>

> Gamer101,
>
> Sounds like you installed some rogue knockoff instead of the real thing.
>
> Where did you download this version of "malwarebytes" from? I'm willing
> to bet it wasn't from http://malwarebytes.org/
>
> xposted to microsoft.public.security.virus for added input.
>

> Regards,
>
> Len Agoado
> agoado(a)msn.com

Post the report from the MBAM so we can see exactly what it found and where

sometimes this is a false positive IF you are on a network or change DNS settings yourself

From: Leonard Agoado on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

> Sounds to me like Gamer101 is saying MBAM *found* the trojan, and he
> or she wants to know the consequences of having had that malware.

FTR,

Upon rereading the OP, I think you're right.

Also, David Lipman later responded to the original post in
m.p.w.security_admin by suggesting a scan with Gmer.

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado(a)msn.com

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>
>> Sounds to me like Gamer101 is saying MBAM *found* the trojan, and he
>> or she wants to know the consequences of having had that malware.
>

> FTR,
>
> Upon rereading the OP, I think you're right.
>
> Also, David Lipman later responded to the original post in
> m.p.w.security_admin by suggesting a scan with Gmer.

That is quickly becoming a standard practice - "rootkits" must be
addressed before anything else in your toolbox can be trusted to work as
designed. The term "rootkit" is in the popular lexicon just as "virus"
was - its meaning is being shifted and soon we'll be hearing about the
"trojan rootkit virus" that caused my brother's laptop to spew black
smoke. :o)