From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/28/2010 02:12 AM, Steven Fisher wrote:
> In article<i2na84$4c2$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>
>> You should see what half this price can get you in the PC world!
>
> Half the money, and a computer I'd never use?

Getting familiar with any new OS takes a little time, even OS X. Now, if
you want to keep sending truckloads of cast to Jobs because you're
afraid swithing OS, that's your choice. A silly option, IMO, but an
option nonetheless.
From: D.F. Manno on
In article <270720101534567683%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Tim Okergit wrote:
>
> > You should see what half this price can get you in the PC world!
>
> half the performance/specs.

And Windows.

--
D.F. Manno
dfmanno(a)mail.com
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kir=E1ly?= on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:
> In 1984: All-in-one Macintosh with 128K RAM,

I like to compare the Macintosh IIfx from 1990. Cost $9,900 at the
time. Back then most car manufacturers offered a model or two that
sold for less than that. It would be nice to be able to buy a new car
today for $2,550.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
From: BreadWithSpam on
Tim Okergit <to(a)notme.com> writes:
> On 07/28/2010 02:12 AM, Steven Fisher wrote:

> > Half the money, and a computer I'd never use?

> Getting familiar with any new OS takes a little time, even OS X. Now,

It's not a matter of getting familiar with the other OSs. It's a
matter of choosing an OS which is most effective - for many of us,
that means one which is the least pain in the butt to maintain and
one which best allows us to get done with it what we're trying to
do.

I've spent a *lot* of time running Windows and various flavors of
unix, from Sun to linux. There are certainly some things I've
preferred to do on those other OSs (ie. headless compute servers,
webservers, etc), but no way do I want one of them as my primary
machine on my desk. And absolutely no way do I want one of those
for an end user.

> if you want to keep sending truckloads of cast to Jobs because you're
> afraid swithing OS, that's your choice. A silly option, IMO, but an
> option nonetheless.

Total cost of ownership includes a lot more than the purchase
of the machine. If I pay a little more for the machine and OS
but have to spend a fraction of the time managing and maintaining
it, I come out way ahead. And that's before we even get into the
details which others have addressed regarding cost comparisons - in
particular, that the costs are *very* similar for similar levels of
hardware and, if you buy it, commercial software.

What I don't get is why, if you want to claim you're anything but
a troll, you bother posting your uninformed anti-apple stuff here
in comp.sys.mac.system.

From: Phillip Jones on
BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
> Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> writes:
>> On 07/28/2010 02:12 AM, Steven Fisher wrote:
>
>>> Half the money, and a computer I'd never use?
>
>> Getting familiar with any new OS takes a little time, even OS X. Now,
>
> It's not a matter of getting familiar with the other OSs. It's a
> matter of choosing an OS which is most effective - for many of us,
> that means one which is the least pain in the butt to maintain and
> one which best allows us to get done with it what we're trying to
> do.
>
> I've spent a *lot* of time running Windows and various flavors of
> unix, from Sun to linux. There are certainly some things I've
> preferred to do on those other OSs (ie. headless compute servers,
> webservers, etc), but no way do I want one of them as my primary
> machine on my desk. And absolutely no way do I want one of those
> for an end user.
>
>> if you want to keep sending truckloads of cast to Jobs because you're
>> afraid swithing OS, that's your choice. A silly option, IMO, but an
>> option nonetheless.
>
> Total cost of ownership includes a lot more than the purchase
> of the machine. If I pay a little more for the machine and OS
> but have to spend a fraction of the time managing and maintaining
> it, I come out way ahead. And that's before we even get into the
> details which others have addressed regarding cost comparisons - in
> particular, that the costs are *very* similar for similar levels of
> hardware and, if you buy it, commercial software.
>
> What I don't get is why, if you want to claim you're anything but
> a troll, you bother posting your uninformed anti-apple stuff here
> in comp.sys.mac.system.

I've always found it fascinating, that most of the people posting on
these apple groups Are PC people who so fervently hate anything Apple.
Instead of staying on their own groups helping PC people with the vast
number of problems on there Groups.

Years ago when I first got on the internet. I signed up on some groups
(back then it was bulletin Boards) you would have thought the president
committed high Treason just My even signing on in those groups. I
promptly left. This I had a very thin skin. Today, I have a very thick
hide, tougher than a Rhino. I would have told them where to shove.

Best I can do is to pity the lost souls.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1(a)kimbanet.com