From: BreadWithSpam on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> writes:

> In 1990, I was working for Apple, and they had an "Own a Mac" program for
> employees. For a one-time only, an employee could get a Mac Plus for free
> So I got a IIfx for a few hundred bucks. It replaced a Mac SE.

> I doubt that car dealers gave such deep discounts to their employees.

While I don't have numbers, I'd have to similarly doubt, however, that
car dealers marginal cost per unit is as low, as a proportion of
normal retail, as Apple's products were.

By way of example, whenever Apple comes out with a new product,
iSuppli comes out with a cost breakdown. The iPhone 4, in theory,
costs Apple about $200. iPad, about $260. For the parts.

Obviously, Apple's actual costs are vastly higher - there's all the
pesky research, design, engineering, software development, plus a
smidge of marketing, not to mention administrative and assembly costs.
But most of those things are relatively fixed, rather than marginal
costs. Apple could therefore quite comfortably give employees
discounts of, say, half the price of any given such device and not be
taking a cost or loss on it. And if they want to induce Apple
employees to actually buy and use the products, offering a discount to
allow them to get the devices for less than cost may only actually
cost Apple a tiny bit.

I don't think car companies have anywhere near the kinds of margins
and flexibility, nor do they have similar proportions of fixed versus
marginal costs. It's an, er, Apples to Oranges comparison.

That all said, wow, a IIfx for a couple of hundred bucks was truly a
steal. I think I still had a MacPlus in 1990. I was eyeing the IIsi
but didn't replace that MacPlus until 1991 when I got a Powerbook 140.

From: Walter Bushell on
In article <yobr5imxkg6.fsf(a)panix1.panix.com>,
BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:

> Obviously, Apple's actual costs are vastly higher - there's all the
> pesky research, design, engineering, software development, plus a
> smidge of marketing, not to mention administrative and assembly costs.
> But most of those things are relatively fixed, rather than marginal
> costs. Apple could therefore quite comfortably give employees
> discounts of, say, half the price of any given such device and not be
> taking a cost or loss on it. And if they want to induce Apple
> employees to actually buy and use the products, offering a discount to
> allow them to get the devices for less than cost may only actually
> cost Apple a tiny bit.

You forgot support costs, defective hardware and such.

--
All BP's money, and all the President's men,
Cannot put the Gulf of Mexico together again.
From: Walter Bushell on
In article <dfmanno-D79C7D.20342728072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
"D.F. Manno" <dfmanno(a)mail.com> wrote:

> In article <270720101534567683%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
> nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Tim Okergit wrote:
> >
> > > You should see what half this price can get you in the PC world!
> >
> > half the performance/specs.
>
> And Windows.

TBF, you could load Linux or BSD on the thing.

From: D.F. Manno on
In article <proto-CC34C6.13423829072010(a)news.panix.com>,
Walter Bushell <proto(a)panix.com> wrote:

> D.F. Manno wrote:
> > nospam wrote:

> > > half the performance/specs.
> >
> > And Windows.
>
> TBF, you could load Linux or BSD on the thing.

You could, but it will come with Windows whether you like it or not.

--
D.F. Manno
dfmanno(a)mail.com
From: Paul Sture on
In article <dfmanno-7D34C5.20215529072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
"D.F. Manno" <dfmanno(a)mail.com> wrote:

> In article <proto-CC34C6.13423829072010(a)news.panix.com>,
> Walter Bushell <proto(a)panix.com> wrote:
>
> > D.F. Manno wrote:

> > > And Windows.
> >
> > TBF, you could load Linux or BSD on the thing.
>
> You could, but it will come with Windows whether you like it or not.

I recently came across a place which will supply PCs without an OS. Not
all of them, but on selected models yes. This is no doubt down to the
brave few who doggedly took this issue through the courts.

--
Paul Sture