From: Peter Olcott on
Is it possible for a very fast web service to consistently
provide an average 500 millisecond response time?

Is the internet itself too slow making this goal completely
infeasible using current technology?

From: Ananth Ramasamy Meenachi on

From: Ananth Ramasamy Meenachi on
> Is it possible for a very fast web service to consistently provide an
> average 500 millisecond response time?
It depends. The Internet Bandwidth is one of the major factor which controls
the effective response performance (particularly the web Server). When you
have enough bandwidth @ both ends next comes the hardware (storage &
processing infrastructure). Best solution is going for CLOUD computing.
Check for AZURE platform.

> Is the internet itself too slow making this goal completely infeasible
> using current technology?
No way, any technology will fail to work with very low internet connection.

Let me know you objective so that I can explain some more on this.

From: Peter Olcott on

"Ananth Ramasamy Meenachi" <msarm(a)live.com> wrote in message

>> Is it possible for a very fast web service to
>> consistently provide an average 500 millisecond response
>> time?
> It depends. The Internet Bandwidth is one of the major
> factor which controls the effective response performance
> (particularly the web Server). When you have enough
> bandwidth @ both ends next comes the hardware (storage &
> processing infrastructure). Best solution is going for
> CLOUD computing. Check for AZURE platform.
>

>> Is the internet itself too slow making this goal
>> completely infeasible using current technology?
> No way, any technology will fail to work with very low
> internet connection.
>
> Let me know you objective so that I can explain some more
> on this.

I want to provide a web service that takes a tiny image file
(15 x (100 to 400) pixels) and returns 20 to 100 bytes of
text that it derived using my proprietary OCR software.
Ideally I want to do this with a real time limit of 500
milliseconds. The next best thing would be an average
response rate less than 500 milliseconds. You can assume 100
milliseconds for my process including translation to and
from HTTP.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The components involved in the response are:
Sender stack delay
Sender bandwidth to downstream server
Total multi-server latency to receiver downstream server
Receiver bandwidth to downstream server
Receiver stack delay
Receiver rendering time

The stack delays exist and cannot be changed. They are probably in hundreds of
microseconds but I have never measured them.

"The last mile" certainly dominates. If you have dialup internet vs. T3 hardwire you will
get different performance.

But the interserver performance matters also. A ping, which is a trivial packet, can turn
around in a few hundred milliseconds, e.g.,
C:\Documents and Settings\email>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [72.14.204.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 72.14.204.147:

C:\Documents and Settings\email>ping verizon.net

Pinging verizon.net [206.46.232.39] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 206.46.232.39:

C:\Documents and Settings\email>ping www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

Pinging www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au [203.147.135.212] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 203.147.135.212:

C:\Documents and Settings\email>

====================================

So note that a ping to halfway around the world takes about 400ms. This suggests that
under similar conditions, at 3am local time, you *might* be able to turn a packet around
in 500ms, but I wouldn't bet on it.

But it is unrealistic to assume such goals when they are based on parameters you have no
control over.

Your job is to turn the packet around in the minimum compute time you can manage.
Everything else is beyond what you can control.
joe
*****

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:54:04 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>"Ananth Ramasamy Meenachi" <msarm(a)live.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Is it possible for a very fast web service to
>>> consistently provide an average 500 millisecond response
>>> time?
>> It depends. The Internet Bandwidth is one of the major
>> factor which controls the effective response performance
>> (particularly the web Server). When you have enough
>> bandwidth @ both ends next comes the hardware (storage &
>> processing infrastructure). Best solution is going for
>> CLOUD computing. Check for AZURE platform.
>>

>>> Is the internet itself too slow making this goal
>>> completely infeasible using current technology?
>> No way, any technology will fail to work with very low
>> internet connection.
>>
>> Let me know you objective so that I can explain some more
>> on this.
>
>I want to provide a web service that takes a tiny image file
>(15 x (100 to 400) pixels) and returns 20 to 100 bytes of
>text that it derived using my proprietary OCR software.
>Ideally I want to do this with a real time limit of 500
>milliseconds. The next best thing would be an average
>response rate less than 500 milliseconds. You can assume 100
>milliseconds for my process including translation to and
>from HTTP.
>

>> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible for a very fast web service to
>>> consistently provide an average 500 millisecond response
>>> time?
>>>
>>> Is the internet itself too slow making this goal
>>> completely infeasible using current technology?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com