From: Alan on
Hello,

We're moving to Exchange/Outlook 2003 from another mailsystem. We have
literally hundreds of boss-secretary and functional-mailboxes. In
Outlook, we're having a hard time explaining to our users -- and
ourselves -- the differences between sharing mailboxes using Delegates
Access, and sharing mailboxes by setting individual permissions on
each folder. Can anyone explain exactly when you should use either for
a shared mailbox please?

Ideally, we'd like users to use the Tools - Options - Delegates tab
only because it's easy to use. However, we'd also like the shared
mailboxes to permanently appear in the folder list. Doing File - Open
a hundred times a day is no good.

Would it be a good idea to check the "folder visible" option for the
"default" user at mailbox level for all mailboxes?

Thanks,

- Alan.
From: Oliver Vukovics on
Hi Alan,

I found this handout (PDF file) on an education website.

"This handout is for employees who need to manage the calendar, mail or
meetings for another employee."

"Delegation vs. Folder Sharing"
http://uts.fiu.edu/fiumail/Docs/Admin_Assist_Handout.pdf

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share Outlook without Exchange (Win7, Office 2010 Ready): Public ShareFolder

From: Alan on
Thanks very much Oliver, that's a big help.

- Alan.