From: Michael W Ryder on
Bill Anderson wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> It is something to consider. I suppose i could switch out the battery
>>> from the new P5Q board if they're the same. I'll give it a try this
>>> afternoon. Hey, I'm ready to try anything at this point.
>>>

>> What speed are you running the memory at? I had a lot of problems
>> like you mention when trying to use memory at 1066 MHz. I finally had
>> to order memory from Crucial to get reliable operation at 1066. The
>> 1GB G.Skill memory modules I originally used had no problems at 1066
>> but when I upgraded to 2GB modules I had nothing but problems with
>> G.Skill and Corsair modules until I got the Crucial memory.
>>

> That's good info and it's interesting you should suggest that. Yes, I
> am running at 1066. Before I shut down tonight I'll back that down and
> see if I have problems starting tomorrow. No sense trying to test it
> now. Once my system starts running, it keeps running fine no matter how
> many times I restart. I have to leave it shut down overnight in order
> to see the problem again.
>
> As it happens, when I first built the system I ordered two 1-gig sticks
> of Crucial Ballistix memory complete with little blinky lights because
> they were out of the non-blinkies and I'd have to wait a few days for
> Crucial to restock them. Who cares if they blink like a carnival ride?
> I wanted memory right then and I took what Crucial could offer.
>
> As I recall, everything worked fine for a few months and then I started
> having all sorts of problems. I thought it was a HDD but Paul here on
> this group correctly diagnosed memory problems. I sent the memory back
> and got two more sticks and all was well until the problems cropped up
> again in a few months. This time I pleaded my case with the nice young
> man at Crucial and he told me they'd improved the design of those memory
> sticks. Would I like to return the memory and have them send me the
> newer, more reliable version at no cost? The newer version seems to be
> causing fewer problems, he said. Well, hmmmm, looks likes Crucial has a
> crappy product and knows it -- so of course I took him up on his offer.
> In fact I even ordered two more 1-gig sticks that were exactly the same
> (he promised) but didn't have stupid blinky lights.
>
> So that's what I'm running now, but only three of the four sticks
> because it appears that one of the blinky light sticks has failed yet
> again. While I was testing the new P5Q board, I found it wouldn't post
> with one of the blinky light sticks installed. The other one worked,
> but there was one that seemed to be bad. I haven't tested it since, so
> I'm not completely sure it's faulty. I'll get around to it soon.
>
> I'm going on vacation this Saturday and I'm not really interested in
> tearing down the computer until I get back in a couple of weeks. So
> each day I just push the power button again and again until I finally
> get a beep. Worked on the third try this afternoon.
>
> And once it's running it's just a fantastic system. No problems at all.

Another to try, if you feel up to it, is just use 2 of the 1GB memory
sticks and see what happens. As I mentioned I ran for over a year with
2 1GB modules with zero problems but as soon as I tried to go to 2 2GB
memory sticks I had problems posting. The manufacturers suggested going
from the AUTO setting for the memory to specified settings but I wasn't
interested in that as I wanted a stable solution, not something that
would work today but maybe not tomorrow.
From: GMAN on
In article <vqWgn.46931$0N3.29274(a)newsfe09.iad>, _data(a)quantumcollections.com wrote:
>Bill Anderson wrote:
>> On Feb 22, 2:20 pm, "Bob F" <bobnos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Did you check the battery?
>>
>> Well, no, but if it were a battery problem wouldn't I have time and
>> date problems too?
>>
>> It is something to consider. I suppose i could switch out the battery
>> from the new P5Q board if they're the same. I'll give it a try this
>> afternoon. Hey, I'm ready to try anything at this point.
>>

>What speed are you running the memory at? I had a lot of problems like
>you mention when trying to use memory at 1066 MHz. I finally had to
>order memory from Crucial to get reliable operation at 1066. The 1GB
>G.Skill memory modules I originally used had no problems at 1066 but
>when I upgraded to 2GB modules I had nothing but problems with G.Skill
>and Corsair modules until I got the Crucial memory.
>

>> --
>> Bill Anderson
>>
>> I am the Mighty Favog
Alot of the time, in order to get a 2GB module to run at 1066 reliably, you
have to set the voltage to 2.1 to 2.2 volts, other wise it runs at 800 MHz or
at 1066 but unstable. My pair of 2GB modules OCZ Reapers, required this on my
P5Q-E Asus board.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580018

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/do-i-have-pc-6400-or-pc-8500/54305.
html
From: Michael W Ryder on
GMAN wrote:
> In article <vqWgn.46931$0N3.29274(a)newsfe09.iad>, _data(a)quantumcollections.com wrote:
>> Bill Anderson wrote:

>>> Well, no, but if it were a battery problem wouldn't I have time and
>>> date problems too?
>>>
>>> It is something to consider. I suppose i could switch out the battery
>>> from the new P5Q board if they're the same. I'll give it a try this
>>> afternoon. Hey, I'm ready to try anything at this point.
>>>
>> What speed are you running the memory at? I had a lot of problems like
>> you mention when trying to use memory at 1066 MHz. I finally had to
>> order memory from Crucial to get reliable operation at 1066. The 1GB
>> G.Skill memory modules I originally used had no problems at 1066 but
>> when I upgraded to 2GB modules I had nothing but problems with G.Skill
>> and Corsair modules until I got the Crucial memory.
>>

>>> --
>>> Bill Anderson
>>>
>>> I am the Mighty Favog
> Alot of the time, in order to get a 2GB module to run at 1066 reliably, you
> have to set the voltage to 2.1 to 2.2 volts, other wise it runs at 800 MHz or
> at 1066 but unstable. My pair of 2GB modules OCZ Reapers, required this on my
> P5Q-E Asus board.

I was able to get a pair of Crucial 2GB modules to work with Auto
settings at 1066 in my P5Q Turbo but they were the only ones that would.