From: Lester Lane on
Hi, I have the classic case of code working in step mode but not when
run. I have deliberately bound late to Word. I have even waited to
check Word has loaded and is ready but still I get the dreaded 462
error on line with ##. Any help would be great as I am going round in
circles. Needless to say that if Word opens ok whilst stepping
through (and I had to pause a while before loading the dialog) then
the code will run fine until I close that version of Word. Not
knowing how to "Wait"/"Sleep" for 2 secs in code I added the test
GetObject. Even tho' this returns ok the .Activate fails. Thanks in
advance.

Dim objWordApp As Object
Dim rsLetterData As DAO.Recordset
Dim qdfLetterData As DAO.QueryDef
Dim strTemplate As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim intLength As Integer

On Error GoTo ErrTrap
Set qdfLetterData = db.QueryDefs("rsqryLetterData")
qdfLetterData![FacilityID] = FacilityID
Set rsLetterData = qdfLetterData.OpenRecordset

With rsLetterData
If Not .EOF Then

'Is an instance of Word already open that we can bind to?
On Error Resume Next
Set objWordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
On Error GoTo ErrTrap

If objWordApp Is Nothing Then
'Word isn't already running - create a new instance...
Set objWordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
objWordApp.Visible = True
Else
End If

On Error Resume Next
Set objWordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
Do Until Err.Number = 0
Set objWordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
Loop
On Error GoTo ErrTrap

## Tasks(objWordApp).Activate
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew)
If .Display = -1 Then 'clicked ok
strTemplate = .Template
Else
MsgBox "No Template chosen", vbCritical, "No Template"
Exit Function
End If
End With
End Function
From: Lester Lane on
On 16 Apr, 16:45, Lester Lane <ja...(a)pigottsinvestments.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi, I have the classic case of code working in step mode but not when
> run.  I have deliberately bound late to Word.  I have even waited to
> check Word has loaded and is ready but still I get the dreaded 462
> error on line with ##.  Any help would be great as I am going round in
> circles.  Needless to say that if Word opens ok whilst stepping
> through (and I had to pause a while before loading the dialog) then
> the code will run fine until I close that version of Word.  Not
> knowing how to "Wait"/"Sleep" for 2 secs in code I added the test
> GetObject.  Even tho' this returns ok the .Activate fails.  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Dim objWordApp As Object
> Dim rsLetterData As DAO.Recordset
> Dim qdfLetterData As DAO.QueryDef
> Dim strTemplate As String
> Dim i As Integer
> Dim intLength As Integer
>
> On Error GoTo ErrTrap
> Set qdfLetterData = db.QueryDefs("rsqryLetterData")
> qdfLetterData![FacilityID] = FacilityID
> Set rsLetterData = qdfLetterData.OpenRecordset
>
> With rsLetterData
> If Not .EOF Then
>
>     'Is an instance of Word already open that we can bind to?
>     On Error Resume Next
>     Set objWordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
>     On Error GoTo ErrTrap
>
>     If objWordApp Is Nothing Then
>         'Word isn't already running - create a new instance...
>         Set objWordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
>         objWordApp.Visible = True
>     Else
>     End If
>
>     On Error Resume Next
>     Set objWordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
>     Do Until Err.Number = 0
>         Set objWordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
>     Loop
>     On Error GoTo ErrTrap
>
> ## Tasks(objWordApp).Activate
>     With Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew)
>     If .Display = -1 Then 'clicked ok
>        strTemplate = .Template
>     Else
>         MsgBox "No Template chosen", vbCritical, "No Template"
>         Exit Function
>     End If
>     End With
> End Function

UPDATE: Now using a wait routine and still no joy unless I step
through the code..

WaitFor = 2
Start = Timer
While Timer < Start + WaitFor
DoEvents
Wend
From: Steve Rindsberg on

Seems like you might want to post this in the appropriate Access and
Word groups rather than in Powerpoint. If anybody here has the answer,
they'll probably pipe up, of course, but you're more likely to find
bodies WITH the answer in a more related group.

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/