From: Hector Santos on
John John - MVP wrote:

> Hector Santos wrote:
>> John John - MVP wrote:

>>> How can you look at a portion of the network, a partial sketch of 3
>>> servers amongst thousands, and declare this to be a star network?
>>> Maybe you should have read instead of just looking at pictures:
>>

>> As I stated in the beginning of your onslaught:
>>
>> A mesh is just a form of a star network.
>
> Sheesh, now you are trying to backpeddle! Read here:
> http://www.myreader.co.uk/msg/12534.aspx
>
> "Although the UK Network may once have been a star network, this is no
> longer the case. There are many news servers each of which has multiple
> connections to others forming a mesh-like network. There are no central
> sites in a position to control what comes in and out of the network as a
> whole."
>
> It's the same thing worldwide, trying to imply that the Usenet is a star
> network in an effort to bolster your claim that the MS servers are a
> mandatory and necessary "hub" in the distribution of the microsoft.*
> hierarchy is lame to say the least!
>
> I'm done with this thread, good bye!

You're right, you should because you twisted words to suit whatever
purpose you had here.

To indicate that me referencing a picture of "three" nodes in a usenet
network is not representative of the "thousands" of nodes in the
network is ludicrous and a lame attempt of trolling for an nonsense
argument.

The above does not change the fact that a node relative to itself
operates like a star and as I stated in my last post, you have no
control of what your nodes and points off your server will do. In
other words, you don't need to go to a main hub to get your feeds.
That still doesn't eliminate the idea each node itself operates as a star.

What? You think you can just post in UK node and it will magically
appear in some far distance USA node without some form of organized
uplink/downlink transport system? Are you broadcasting by posting the
article at different servers crossing your fingers that at least ONE
will make and the others will by rejected as DUPES?

And again, unless you UNDERSTAND the intricacies of developing hosting
software especially for all hosting operationally needs when it comes
to distribution, then yes, you should say good bye and shut up.

--
HLS
From: Paul Attryde on
Pavel A. wrote:
> Dear users of msnews.microsoft.com,
>
> There are rumors that Microsoft plans to shut down this nntp server.
>
> See this for example:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.html
>
> Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the
> web-based MSDN forums?.
> To Google groups, maybe?

Personally I signed up for an account at OSROnline. They
have an NNTP version of their mailing lists at lists.osr.com

hth somebody,
Paul
From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
> Personally I signed up for an account at OSROnline. They
> have an NNTP version of their mailing lists at lists.osr.com

This is what I'm using for 8 years or so.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Jeremy Linton on
<joke>

MS's announcement translated...

> Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively
closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in
the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to
worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.

Beginning this summer, we are shutting down perfectly working
standardized technology. This is to encourage the older more
knowledgeable crowd using those technologies to move into the web forums
where they may help users who are either to lazy or ignorant to install
news readers. Plus, in an effort to control all the content and postings
in our newsgroups we will create a proprietary interface that makes it
hard to replicate the information on 3rd party servers.

> Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort,
consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors
to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community
environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers
and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and
off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by
facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We assigned some programmers to consolidate all of our venues, and
create nntp/web forums bridging. Instead they wrote a new forum
interface. Since we paid them all this money, we have to use this new
technology or we won't look good to our bosses. To make it easier on us,
and offload some of the pain to the community we will be disabling some
of your connections and requiring you to go to some effort to setup some
new accounts.

</joke>

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8