From: Charlie on
We are using Outlook 2007 with Exchange server. We have a user who has been
moving his emails off of the Exchange server to some folders he created or by
Auto Archive feature in Outlook 2007. He basically drag and drop the emails
from his Exchange server Inbox to his folders on the left side. The question
is, where are all of these folders full of emails located on the local
computer? At first I thought it must have been the Auto Archive feature that
kicks in every 14 days and created those folders for him to be able to drag
and drop, but when I check the following location the archive.pst file size
is very small.

C:\Documents and Settings\%your username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

The total folders of emails must be about 1 to 2GB in file size. Where else
on the local machine could Outlook had put it?

Any help is much appreciated.
From: DL on
Outlook will set up any archive, or other data file it creates in the
location specified by the user
I would do a search for *.pst to include hidden locations

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Charlie" <Charlie(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> We are using Outlook 2007 with Exchange server. We have a user who has been
> moving his emails off of the Exchange server to some folders he created or
> by
> Auto Archive feature in Outlook 2007. He basically drag and drop the emails
> from his Exchange server Inbox to his folders on the left side. The question
> is, where are all of these folders full of emails located on the local
> computer? At first I thought it must have been the Auto Archive feature that
> kicks in every 14 days and created those folders for him to be able to drag
> and drop, but when I check the following location the archive.pst file size
> is very small.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\%your username%\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
>
> The total folders of emails must be about 1 to 2GB in file size. Where else
> on the local machine could Outlook had put it?

Ask Outlook where those files are. File>Data File Management and
Tools>Options>Other>AutoArchive. It's conceivable he also has other archive
PSTs assigned to specific folders, and you can find that by examining the
properties of the Exchange folders.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Charlie on
Right now the computer has been partitioned, formatted and install Windows XP
on it. I'm using a data recovery software to recover any .pst files but so
far I have not found any credible .pst files that contains 4-6 years of
emails. The archive.pst file size is quite small. For now, I will assume that
the user does not know how to redirect the Auto archive folder to other
places on the machine or network drive.
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> Right now the computer has been partitioned, formatted and install Windows
> XP
> on it. I'm using a data recovery software to recover any .pst files but so
> far I have not found any credible .pst files that contains 4-6 years of
> emails. The archive.pst file size is quite small. For now, I will assume
> that
> the user does not know how to redirect the Auto archive folder to other
> places on the machine or network drive.

Good luck with that. I think it's unlikely you'll get the data back.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]