From: Roger Pack on

> 2. Right after the line "/bin/install -c -m 644
> ./lib/tkextlib/SUPPORT_STATUS
> c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/tk_as_gem-0.0.1/lib/tkextlib". This
> is the one that seems to hang for 40 minutes, or however long I let it
> go on.

Hangs with tk for me have typically historically meant that Tk wasn't
found (I think, anyway). that for was 1.8 I've never seen it for 1.9,
though.

Here's a zipped up copy of my binaries (with the gem compiled in there).
They might not even need the tcl binaries in the path...but probably do
(8.4 binaries).

http://rubydoc.ruby-forum.com/distro/ruby191p376.tgz

HTH.

-rp

From: Eric Christopherson on
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. Right after the line "/bin/install -c -m 644
>> ./lib/tkextlib/SUPPORT_STATUS
>> c:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/tk_as_gem-0.0.1/lib/tkextlib". This
>> is the one that seems to hang for 40 minutes, or however long I let it
>> go on.
>
> Hangs with tk for me have typically historically meant that Tk wasn't
> found (I think, anyway).  that for was 1.8 I've never seen it for 1.9,
> though.

It did find Tk and used it to compile the extension; and things seem
to work afterwards. Maybe part of the reason is that I was using Tk
8.5 instead of 8.4?

> Here's a zipped up copy of my binaries (with the gem compiled in there).
> They might not even need the tcl binaries in the path...but probably do
> (8.4 binaries).
>
> http://rubydoc.ruby-forum.com/distro/ruby191p376.tgz

Thanks. I'll try to download 8.4 so I can try it out later.

From: Alex DeCaria on
I got an interesting result. I was able to install tk_from_gem and it
installed and worked. However, if I run my Tk application using Ruby
1.9 it loads noticably slow (the Gui builds frame-by-frame as I watch
it). If I run the exact same application using Ruby 1.8, it loads
instantaneously.

I've attached the application I'm running (a units converter program) in
case anyone wants to play with it. Please note it was my first attempt
at GUI programming, so I know it's not the best for style, etc.

--Alex

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4501/unit_converter.rbw

From: Roger Pack on
Alex DeCaria wrote:
> I got an interesting result. I was able to install tk_from_gem and it
> installed and worked. However, if I run my Tk application using Ruby
> 1.9 it loads noticably slow (the Gui builds frame-by-frame as I watch
> it). If I run the exact same application using Ruby 1.8, it loads
> instantaneously.

Interesting. I get the same thing with tk_as_gem (and approximately the
same thing with 1.9.1 with tk "built inline" (non gem)) [1]

Wonder why it's slower.

-rp
[1] http://rubydoc.ruby-forum.com/distro/ruby-1.9.1-p243-tweaked.tgz

From: Eric Christopherson on
Roger, could you give some more guidance on what gem/extconf switches
are required to get tk_as_gem built when Tk is installed somewhere
other than C:\Tcl?

Also, is there anything I can do to help diagnose the hanging problem
that happens on my other computer (which does have C:\Tcl)?