From: Roger Pack on
Alex DeCaria wrote:

>> And then when you run make?
>> -r
>
> after running 'make' the results are:
>
> gcc -shared -s -o tcltklib.so stubs.o tcltklib.o -L. -LC:/Ruby19/lib
> -LC:/Tcl/lib -L. -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base,--enable-auto-import
> -lmsvcrt-ruby191 -ltk84 -ltcl84 -lshell32 -lws2_32

that it odd it should be creating several .so files

e:\>gem which tkutil
E:/installs/ruby191p376/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/tk_as_gem-0.1.0/lib/tkutil.so

e:\>gem which tcltklib
E:/installs/ruby191p376/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/tk_as_gem-0.1.0/lib/tcltklib.so

What does yours say for those commands after installing the gem? My
guess is that they exist but somehow aren't finding the dll's right or
something.

If you have the file tkutil.so, you can train "dependency walker" on it
[1], and it might inform you of missing dependencies or what not...
Let me know how it goes.
-r
[1] http://www.dependencywalker.com/

From: Roger Pack on

> gem which tcltklib results in:
> C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/i386-msvcrt/tcltklib.so

That's the built-in one, I think, not the gem one...and this is after a
successful gem install? "gem search tk_as_gem" lists something? what
does "gem which tk" yield?

You might get some traction in building the gem on you 32 bit box and
then copying over that entire ruby version to your 64 bit box, too.
GL!
-r

From: Alex DeCaria on
gem which tkutil results in:
ERROR: Can't find ruby library file or shared library tkutil

gem which tcltklib results in:
C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/i386-msvcrt/tcltklib.so

If I search my entire C: drive for tkutil.so it finds a copy in my old
Ruby 1.8 installation, but not in the Ruby 1.9 installation. I don't
suppose I could just copy the file from the 1.8 install to the 1.9
install? If so, where should I put it?

--Alex

From: Alex DeCaria on
Roger Pack wrote:
> You might get some traction in building the gem on you 32 bit box and
> then copying over that entire ruby version to your 64 bit box, too.
> GL!
> -r

That worked! I copied the entire tk_as_gem-0.1.0 directory from my 32
bit install to the 64 bit machine, and it worked first time! Thanks for
the tip.

I have two additional questions:

1) Will the tk_as_gem work with a later version of Tcl/Tk, or do I need
to stick with the 8.4 version I am using now?

2) Any ideas as to why the Tk apps with Ruby 1.9 load so slow compared
to the way it was on Ruby 1.8?

Again, thanks for all your help. I'm happy that I can at least run my
apps now.

--Alex

From: Roger Pack on

> 1) Will the tk_as_gem work with a later version of Tcl/Tk, or do I need
> to stick with the 8.4 version I am using now?

I think it will work with 8.5

> 2) Any ideas as to why the Tk apps with Ruby 1.9 load so slow compared
> to the way it was on Ruby 1.8?

Nope. If you can reproduce it in Linux, you could ping core and ask
them why they think it's slow (or anybody else out there?).

rp