From: Alex DeCaria on
Just installed Ruby 1.9 and tried to run one of my TK applications that
works using Ruby 1.8. There doesn't appear to be a 'TK' library in Ruby
1.9. Where/how can I get and install the 'TK' library?

--Alex

From: Eric Christopherson on
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Alex DeCaria
<alex.decaria(a)millersville.edu> wrote:
> Just installed Ruby 1.9 and tried to run one of my TK applications that
> works using Ruby 1.8.  There doesn't appear to be a 'TK' library in Ruby
> 1.9.  Where/how can I get and install the 'TK' library?
>
> --Alex

See the recent (within the past two days) threads about Tk here. It
sounds like you're using the Windows RubyInstaller, which (as I just
found out) doesn't include Tk or Tk bindings.

From: Luis Lavena on
On Feb 17, 7:36 pm, Alex DeCaria <alex.deca...(a)millersville.edu>
wrote:
> Just installed Ruby 1.9 and tried to run one of my TK applications that
> works using Ruby 1.8.  There doesn't appear to be a 'TK' library in Ruby
> 1.9.  Where/how can I get and install the 'TK' library?

The Tk bindings in RubyInstaller has not been included.

The reason for that is simple: finding the proper Tk package, manage
to automate the unpacking and verify that Ruby does the good job in
picking it up during compilation takes time.

All the above thing is what we call a build recipe. At this time,
nobody wrote it. But I'm open to add extensions if someone takes the
stab and create the recipe *using rake tasks) to build it.

The repository is here:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/

Once implemented and tested, just send a pull request and will get
those changes tested and then merged.

Is extremely important the Tk package Ruby will links against could be
unpacked, *not installed*. Installation sometimes requires certain
levels of right that some users don't have when working with the build
recipes.

Also, because the recipes should document the process, not hide a
dependency or specific of a version outside the repository.

Hope this shed some light on this.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena
From: Eric Christopherson on
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 7:36 pm, Alex DeCaria <alex.deca...(a)millersville.edu>
> wrote:
>> Just installed Ruby 1.9 and tried to run one of my TK applications that
>> works using Ruby 1.8.  There doesn't appear to be a 'TK' library in Ruby
>> 1.9.  Where/how can I get and install the 'TK' library?
>>

> The Tk bindings in RubyInstaller has not been included.
>
> The reason for that is simple: finding the proper Tk package, manage
> to automate the unpacking and verify that Ruby does the good job in
> picking it up during compilation takes time.
>
> All the above thing is what we call a build recipe. At this time,
> nobody wrote it. But I'm open to add extensions if someone takes the
> stab and create the recipe *using rake tasks) to build it.
>
> The repository is here:
>
> http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/
>
> Once implemented and tested, just send a pull request and will get
> those changes tested and then merged.
>
> Is extremely important the Tk package Ruby will links against could be
> unpacked, *not installed*. Installation sometimes requires certain
> levels of right that some users don't have when working with the build
> recipes.
>
> Also, because the recipes should document the process, not hide a
> dependency or specific of a version outside the repository.
>
> Hope this shed some light on this.

Luis, is it possible at all to *add* Tk bindings to a copy of Ruby
that has already been installed via RubyInstaller?

From: Roger Pack on
> Luis, is it possible at all to *add* Tk bindings to a copy of Ruby
> that has already been installed via RubyInstaller?

Funny you ask.

http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_tutorials_core/tk

has some info on it (I've had success installing tk_as_gem for 1.9.1
mingw).

-rp