From: ransley on
On Jul 9, 1:09 pm, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> I can't find the camera here, yet it seems to view everything ??
>
> http://www.fullscreen360.com/st-helens.htm

PTGUI can do better, full 360.
From: David Ruether on

Mark Sieving <mark_sieving(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Jul 9, 1:09=A0pm, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

>>> I can't find the camera here, yet it seems to view everything ??
>>>
>>> http://www.fullscreen360.com/st-helens.htm

>>I'm not sure what the question is. The camera was clearly mounted on
>>the edge of the crater, and pivoted through 360 degrees. Unless
>>someone was holding up a mirror, the camera can't photograph itself.
>>
>>The technique would be to take a series of overlapping frames, and
>>then stitch them together.

> You did not go full up and down. From what i gather many frames were shot to get shots.
> Ther is NO view of the picture left untaken. Aparently the camera was moved and
> then more fill in shots were stitched together. It as if the camera is floating
> in mid air. Nothing below it, nothing above it.
>
> greg

There used to be a device using a conical/parabolic mirror that
pointed down at the upturned camera to shoot such pictures,
but these left a "hole" in the ground image which does not appear
in this image. It is a most remarkable image!
--DR

From: Doug McDonald on
On 7/11/2010 9:27 AM, David Ruether wrote:

>> You did not go full up and down. From what i gather many frames were shot to get shots.
>> Ther is NO view of the picture left untaken. Aparently the camera was moved and
>> then more fill in shots were stitched together. It as if the camera is floating
>> in mid air. Nothing below it, nothing above it.
>>
>> greg
>
> There used to be a device using a conical/parabolic mirror that
> pointed down at the upturned camera to shoot such pictures,
> but these left a "hole" in the ground image which does not appear
> in this image. It is a most remarkable image!
> --DR

The version I saw does not look straight down. That is easy,
I've done the exact same thing on top of Mt. Evans and Half Dome,
as well as inside many caves.

Ideally you just plant a tripod with skinny legs and a pano head
and take a full circle. In a cave you really need the tripod.

But on a mountain in full daylight, you can fake it if you are
careful and the top is big enough and flat enough that you don't
risk falling off. You just rotate yourself around, moving your feet
so that the center of the lens never moves, and take
the circle. If you fake it, the near points on the ground
won't fit perfectly and you will need to use Photoshop's
clone or "area fake" tools to make the dirt look right.

If the final pano does look straight down, you will need
either adjustable scaffolding or the fake method and LOTS
of work in Photoshop.

Straight up, outdoors, is easy: if the clouds move between shots,
use Photoshop's "liquify" to make them fit.

Doug
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-11 07:45:38 -0700, Doug McDonald
<mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> said:

> On 7/11/2010 9:27 AM, David Ruether wrote:
>
>>> You did not go full up and down. From what i gather many frames were
>>> shot to get shots.
>>> Ther is NO view of the picture left untaken. Aparently the camera was moved and
>>> then more fill in shots were stitched together. It as if the camera is floating
>>> in mid air. Nothing below it, nothing above it.
>>>
>>> greg
>>
>> There used to be a device using a conical/parabolic mirror that
>> pointed down at the upturned camera to shoot such pictures,
>> but these left a "hole" in the ground image which does not appear
>> in this image. It is a most remarkable image!
>> --DR
>>

> The version I saw does not look straight down. That is easy,
> I've done the exact same thing on top of Mt. Evans and Half Dome,
> as well as inside many caves.
>
> Ideally you just plant a tripod with skinny legs and a pano head
> and take a full circle. In a cave you really need the tripod.
>
> But on a mountain in full daylight, you can fake it if you are
> careful and the top is big enough and flat enough that you don't
> risk falling off. You just rotate yourself around, moving your feet
> so that the center of the lens never moves, and take
> the circle. If you fake it, the near points on the ground
> won't fit perfectly and you will need to use Photoshop's
> clone or "area fake" tools to make the dirt look right.
>
> If the final pano does look straight down, you will need
> either adjustable scaffolding or the fake method and LOTS
> of work in Photoshop.
>
> Straight up, outdoors, is easy: if the clouds move between shots,
> use Photoshop's "liquify" to make them fit.
>
> Doug

I think combining a Gigapan system with some CS5 editing would be the
most seamless way of doing this. However what has been done with this
image seems to be a lot more sophisticated than just doing the
standard, moving in a circle to make the capture.
http://www.gigapansystems.com/

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-11 08:36:13 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

> On 2010-07-11 07:45:38 -0700, Doug McDonald
> <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> said:

>>> There used to be a device using a conical/parabolic mirror that
>>> pointed down at the upturned camera to shoot such pictures,
>>> but these left a "hole" in the ground image which does not appear
>>> in this image. It is a most remarkable image!
>>> --DR
>>>

>> The version I saw does not look straight down. That is easy,
>> I've done the exact same thing on top of Mt. Evans and Half Dome,
>> as well as inside many caves.
>>
>> Ideally you just plant a tripod with skinny legs and a pano head
>> and take a full circle. In a cave you really need the tripod.
>>
>> But on a mountain in full daylight, you can fake it if you are
>> careful and the top is big enough and flat enough that you don't
>> risk falling off. You just rotate yourself around, moving your feet
>> so that the center of the lens never moves, and take
>> the circle. If you fake it, the near points on the ground
>> won't fit perfectly and you will need to use Photoshop's
>> clone or "area fake" tools to make the dirt look right.
>>
>> If the final pano does look straight down, you will need
>> either adjustable scaffolding or the fake method and LOTS
>> of work in Photoshop.
>>
>> Straight up, outdoors, is easy: if the clouds move between shots,
>> use Photoshop's "liquify" to make them fit.
>>
>> Doug
>
> I think combining a Gigapan system with some CS5 editing would be the
> most seamless way of doing this. However what has been done with this
> image seems to be a lot more sophisticated than just doing the
> standard, moving in a circle to make the capture.
> http://www.gigapansystems.com/

BTW, there is also this as a possible solution;
http://www.panoscan.com/

--
Regards,

Savageduck