From: Wally on
I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).

Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:

Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.

Samsung SyncMaster 245T - also expensive, and has great reviews, but
is discontinued.

There are also good HP monitors, but their poor customer service is
legendary.

What to do? Is the pink color issue with the Dell trivial? Will
Samsung come out with a great replacement for the 245T? Or are cheaper
models now just as good or better? (Like the Samsung T240HD...)

Wally
From: nospam on
In article <26fe36l1qg1ehm1shrjg253v7fbevh61sk(a)4ax.com>, Wally
<Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:

> I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
> good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).
>
> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:

eizo. not cheap but among the best.
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:48:21 -0600, in
wrote:

>I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
>good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).
>
>Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
>even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>
>Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
>of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>
>Samsung SyncMaster 245T - also expensive, and has great reviews, but
>is discontinued.
>
>There are also good HP monitors, but their poor customer service is
>legendary.
>
>What to do? Is the pink color issue with the Dell trivial? Will
>Samsung come out with a great replacement for the 245T? Or are cheaper
>models now just as good or better? (Like the Samsung T240HD...)

HP LP2475W
Another excellent option is the NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi
Very good bargain option is the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

--
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Bruce on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:48:21 -0600, Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:

>I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
>good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).
>
>Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
>even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>
>Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
>of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>
>Samsung SyncMaster 245T - also expensive, and has great reviews, but
>is discontinued.
>
>There are also good HP monitors, but their poor customer service is
>legendary.
>
>What to do? Is the pink color issue with the Dell trivial? Will
>Samsung come out with a great replacement for the 245T? Or are cheaper
>models now just as good or better? (Like the Samsung T240HD...)

The Dell 2410, of which there are several distinctly different
variants, isn't all that great. To get an LCD monitor that is
consistent enough for photo editing, you need to pay more, not less.
Look at higher end models from LaCie and Eizo.

Or look at the Apple Cinema Displays. The 24" model has LED
technology and 1920 x 1200 resolution. The 30" model has 4 megapixel
resolution (2560 x 1600) but is non-LED.

From: Starvin Marvin on
<Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:

> I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
> good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).
>
> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>
> Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
> of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>
> Samsung SyncMaster 245T - also expensive, and has great reviews, but
> is discontinued.
>
> There are also good HP monitors, but their poor customer service is
> legendary.
>
> What to do? Is the pink color issue with the Dell trivial? Will
> Samsung come out with a great replacement for the 245T? Or are cheaper
> models now just as good or better? (Like the Samsung T240HD...)
>
> Wally

I bought this Samsung 23" LCD monitor about a year ago and really
love it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001317&cm_re=sa
msung_2343bwx-_-24-001-317-_-Product

I use it with a 4 year old Macintosh and it was a little tricky to
set up with the correct color space settings, but now it's wonderful.

Apparently this model is now passe. Whatever model replaced it
should be about as good. Maybe this one with LED illumination?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001380

This model in 24" size looks to be similar to mine, except for the
16:9 HD format of my model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001338

Hope this helps. Happy shopping.