From: Bob AZ on

> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>
> Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
> of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>> Wally

Wally

For my photography computer I have a Dell U2410 Ultrasharp monitor. 5
years old. Used several hours a day, 7 days a week. No problems at
all. I check it with a friends Huey monitor calibrator several tmes a
year. Never a tweaking needed. I have upgraded my video card twice and
the monitor went right along.

I do use this monitor 90%+ for photography. Just plain no problems at
all. I used to use a 19" monitor but it simply was not big enough for
the photography that I do. The Dell 24" is fine. Hold several images
and the attendant windows as needed.

Were I to want a better monitor I would go to newegg.com and buy a 24"
LaCie. $900.00 with shipping. A friend has one of these that he swears
by.

As an aside: If you need or use glasses consider getting a pair of
full frame single vision glasses. Made a big differences in my print
quality. If I forget and wear my regular reading glasses I find out
real quick when I see my prints don't look great.

Also don't buy a monotor that has so many features that it takes away
from the quality. Go for quality of images and don't be too concerned
with extraneous features and many USB ports and reader ports. And
finally just use a DVI port. VGA ports simply don't support the
quality that you are looking for.

If you don't get the Dell, be sure and don't get locked into a 16 X 9
format. They are simply too short for the best presentation of the
usual and traditional formats of photography. You will find yourself
needing more vertical size when editing images for prints.

Take care
Bob AZ

From: ransley on
On Jul 9, 10:48 am, Wally <Wa...(a)luxx.com> wrote:
> I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
> good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).
>
> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>
> Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
> of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>
> Samsung SyncMaster 245T - also expensive, and has great reviews, but
> is discontinued.
>
> There are also good HP monitors, but their poor customer service is
> legendary.
>
> What to do? Is the pink color issue with the Dell trivial? Will
> Samsung come out with a great replacement for the 245T? Or are cheaper
> models now just as good or better? (Like the Samsung T240HD...)
>
> Wally

I use a dell 24" and it great for me, if I was doing editing for a
living than maybe it would be different but for a hobby its fine. Sure
you can spnd whatever you want and get the best, but for a hobby it
may not be noticable. Dell has a easy return policy to try one out.
Your best bet is read reviews
From: George Kerby on

On 7/9/10 12:33 PM, in article lrme36lpotf7kikm00lvue4spvghb00man(a)4ax.com,
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:48:21 -0600, Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm ready to replace my old CRT monitor with an LCD, if I can find a
>> good one suitable for photo editing and general use (but not gaming).
>>
>> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
>> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>>
>> Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
>> of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>>
>> Samsung SyncMaster 245T - also expensive, and has great reviews, but
>> is discontinued.
>>
>> There are also good HP monitors, but their poor customer service is
>> legendary.
>>
>> What to do? Is the pink color issue with the Dell trivial? Will
>> Samsung come out with a great replacement for the 245T? Or are cheaper
>> models now just as good or better? (Like the Samsung T240HD...)
>

> The Dell 2410, of which there are several distinctly different
> variants, isn't all that great. To get an LCD monitor that is
> consistent enough for photo editing, you need to pay more, not less.
> Look at higher end models from LaCie and Eizo.
>
> Or look at the Apple Cinema Displays. The 24" model has LED
> technology and 1920 x 1200 resolution. The 30" model has 4 megapixel
> resolution (2560 x 1600) but is non-LED.

Now you've done it! You mentioned Apple: NavASS is going to call you on the
carpet and tell you that you are wrong.

THEN, RichA(ss) is going to throw a hissy fit.

You have done it now. Better DUCK!

From: Wally on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 22:01:54 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ <rwatson767(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
>> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>>
>> Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
>> of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>>> Wally
>
>Wally
>
>For my photography computer I have a Dell U2410 Ultrasharp monitor. 5
>years old. Used several hours a day, 7 days a week. No problems at
>all. I check it with a friends Huey monitor calibrator several tmes a
>year. Never a tweaking needed. I have upgraded my video card twice and
>the monitor went right along.
>
>I do use this monitor 90%+ for photography. Just plain no problems at
>all. I used to use a 19" monitor but it simply was not big enough for
>the photography that I do. The Dell 24" is fine. Hold several images
>and the attendant windows as needed.

Hey thanks, Bob in AZ.

Well, maybe I will get the Dell then. And maybe I will need to spend
time to figure out the color calibration.

You mention "DVI port" -- ?? Must have to do with the graphics card.
My box is 9 mo old, Intel E8400, runs Win 7, and I think just has the
graphics stuff on the main board. Will I need to buy a graphics card
to drive the Dell?

Wally
From: Peter on
"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 22:01:54 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ <rwatson767(a)aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Problem is, there isn't good consensus as to which is the best, or
>>> even satisfactory for graphics use. Examples:
>>>
>>> Dell UltraSharp 2410 and its close relatives are expensive, and some
>>> of them have a pink tint or pink-green color issues.
>>
>>Wally
>>
>>For my photography computer I have a Dell U2410 Ultrasharp monitor. 5
>>years old. Used several hours a day, 7 days a week. No problems at
>>all. I check it with a friends Huey monitor calibrator several tmes a
>>year. Never a tweaking needed. I have upgraded my video card twice and
>>the monitor went right along.
>>
>>I do use this monitor 90%+ for photography. Just plain no problems at
>>all. I used to use a 19" monitor but it simply was not big enough for
>>the photography that I do. The Dell 24" is fine. Hold several images
>>and the attendant windows as needed.
>

> Hey thanks, Bob in AZ.
>
> Well, maybe I will get the Dell then. And maybe I will need to spend
> time to figure out the color calibration.
>
> You mention "DVI port" -- ?? Must have to do with the graphics card.
> My box is 9 mo old, Intel E8400, runs Win 7, and I think just has the
> graphics stuff on the main board. Will I need to buy a graphics card
> to drive the Dell?

For serious graphics work your choices are limited to LaCie, NEC and
ViewSonic.
The ViewSonic is essentially an NEC with some minor defect that usually will
not be noticed. The important thing is that you should be able to color
calibrate the monitor, with minimum futzing. (If you have to futz you won't
do it as often as you should.)
I personally do not like an onboard graphics card. But if you are not a
professional graphics artist, nor into gaming, it should work fine. To
answer your question about the Dell, call Dell pre sales support.

--
Peter