From: nailer on
I have used Omni until 16, Readiris and Abbyy FineReader until 9.
My vote goes to Abbyy, and probably I will consider upgrading to the
current ver. 10.
I believe, you can DL and try it for some time.
From: curious8 on

>I'm looking for a good OCR scanning package coming with scanner
>or stand alone. I'd appreciate any recommendations of hint which
>one should I choose. I'm familiar whit Omipage 14 basic OCR but
>someone said that Readiris is better.
>TIA for any info.

I have both OmniPage16 and FineReader10, have used various versions of
both programs for years. Both work well for clean copy, but I much
prefer Abbyy's FineReader for print that is faint, has complex
formatting, or poorly formed letters. With FineReader it is much
easier to make corrections during proofing. OmniPage can be very very
frustrating for me.

charlie
From: Talker on
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:02:11 -0800, curious8(a)pacbell.net wrote:

>>I'm looking for a good OCR scanning package coming with scanner
>>or stand alone. I'd appreciate any recommendations of hint which
>>one should I choose. I'm familiar whit Omipage 14 basic OCR but
>>someone said that Readiris is better.
>>TIA for any info.
>
>I have both OmniPage16 and FineReader10, have used various versions of
>both programs for years. Both work well for clean copy, but I much
>prefer Abbyy's FineReader for print that is faint, has complex
>formatting, or poorly formed letters. With FineReader it is much
>easier to make corrections during proofing. OmniPage can be very very
>frustrating for me.
>
>charlie

I have used Omnipage Pro and Abbyy's Finereader, and neither one
of them are worth a damn. Maybe it's because I rarely use either one
of them, and I'm doing something wrong, but every time I have tried to
scan a document, it never scans and recognizes it properly. I have to
correct so many errors in the text, that I might as well have typed it
myself.
If it has charts or pictures with the text, forget it, I end up
with a total mess. I finally just gave up on OCR software, and no
longer use it.
Oh, and it's not the scanner either, since I have used both OCR
programs with three different scanners over the years....my latest
scanner is a Canon 9950F.

Talker
From: spam on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 02:47:04 -0500, Talker <Talker(a)thegood.com> wrote:

> I have used Omnipage Pro and Abbyy's Finereader, and neither one
>of them are worth a damn. Maybe it's because I rarely use either one
>of them, and I'm doing something wrong, but every time I have tried to
>scan a document, it never scans and recognizes it properly. I have to
>correct so many errors in the text, that I might as well have typed it
>myself.

#-----End Quoted (and cut) Message-----

You have to do a few things right to get decent OCR.

I manage near on 99% accuracy with OmniPage Pro by scanning at 300dpi
or higher, depending on the material.

I also usually go for genuine B&W (not grayscale) to keep file sizes
down.

Of course, if you are working on exotic things like equations, you may
need to train the software

MK

From: CSM1 on
Talker <Talker(a)thegood.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:02:11 -0800, curious8(a)pacbell.net wrote:
>

>>>I'm looking for a good OCR scanning package coming with scanner
>>>or stand alone. I'd appreciate any recommendations of hint which
>>>one should I choose. I'm familiar whit Omipage 14 basic OCR but
>>>someone said that Readiris is better.
>>>TIA for any info.
>>
>>I have both OmniPage16 and FineReader10, have used various versions of
>>both programs for years. Both work well for clean copy, but I much
>>prefer Abbyy's FineReader for print that is faint, has complex
>>formatting, or poorly formed letters. With FineReader it is much
>>easier to make corrections during proofing. OmniPage can be very very
>>frustrating for me.
>>
>>charlie
>

> I have used Omnipage Pro and Abbyy's Finereader, and neither one
> of them are worth a damn. Maybe it's because I rarely use either one
> of them, and I'm doing something wrong, but every time I have tried to
> scan a document, it never scans and recognizes it properly. I have to
> correct so many errors in the text, that I might as well have typed it
> myself.
> If it has charts or pictures with the text, forget it, I end up
> with a total mess. I finally just gave up on OCR software, and no
> longer use it.
> Oh, and it's not the scanner either, since I have used both OCR
> programs with three different scanners over the years....my latest
> scanner is a Canon 9950F.
>
> Talker

Hello, Talker.

I have used Omnipage Pro 15 with good success. Good copy and scan grey
scale 300 dpi works best for text. (I would only use the Pro version,
the bundled version is not up to par).

Forget about scanning in Black&White, getting the threshold right is
more trouble than it is worth.

If you have pictures in the copy, that is a different story. Although it
is not that hard to do. You set your zones in Omnipage to tell Omnipage
what is picture and what is text.

No OCR is 100% accurate. 90% is doable.

--
CSM1