From: Talker on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:43:19 -0000, "McGrath" <McGrath(a)uni.net> wrote:

>"Talker" <Talker(a)thegood.com> wrote in message

>>>I have both OmniPage16 and FineReader10, have used various versions of
>>>both programs for years. Both work well for clean copy, but I much
>>>prefer Abbyy's FineReader for print that is faint, has complex
>>>formatting, or poorly formed letters. With FineReader it is much
>>>easier to make corrections during proofing. OmniPage can be very very
>>>frustrating for me.
>>>
>>>charlie
>>

>> I have used Omnipage Pro and Abbyy's Finereader, and neither one
>> of them are worth a damn. Maybe it's because I rarely use either one
>> of them, and I'm doing something wrong, but every time I have tried to
>> scan a document, it never scans and recognizes it properly. I have to
>> correct so many errors in the text, that I might as well have typed it
>> myself.
>> If it has charts or pictures with the text, forget it, I end up
>> with a total mess. I finally just gave up on OCR software, and no
>> longer use it.
>> Oh, and it's not the scanner either, since I have used both OCR
>> programs with three different scanners over the years....my latest
>> scanner is a Canon 9950F.
>>
>> Talker
>
>Does Canon 9950F have Windows 7 Drivers ready?
>And does any OCR come with Canon 9950F ?

I don't know if there are drivers for the 9950F for Windows 7. I
am using Windows XP.
The 9950F came with Abbyy's Finereader OCR, but like I mentioned
above, it's pretty much worthless, as is Omnipage Pro.
I have used both of these OCRs over the years, and I admit that I
used them very infrequently, but when I did, the results were so bad
that they were useless. When the page had a picture or chart on it,
the OCR software gave a result that was unrecognizable. The picture
or charts were incomprehensible, and the text had so many errors, that
it wasn't worth it to correct them. It was quicker to just type the
text myself.
I'd like to sit with someone and see how any brand of OCR works
for them, then show them how it works for me, then compare notes.
I got so disgusted with them that I uninstalled them from my
computer. I don't even know where the install CDs are anymore, and I
don't care. They were a total waste of money.

Talker
From: Michael J Davis on
CSM1 <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> was inspired to say
>Jethro Pull <jpull(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> To digress ...
>>
>> One of my real-life misspell examples is the word "Cancelled"
>> which
>> you will see spelled "Canceled" with only one L. Most often found when
>> we have bad weather and TV shows flights that have been "Cancelled" by
>> one airline and "Canceled" by another. Frankly, I'm confused and
>> should consult my Merriam-Webster to get an answer, but the suspense
>> is more fun than knowing which is correct.
>>

>Acording to a test of the two spellings in Microsoft Word 2000, both
>spellings are correct.
>
>Neither word is flagged as mis-spelled.
>
>However my American Heritage dictionary show that "canceled" is the
>correct spelling.
>
>My Random House College Dictionary shows both spelling as correct.
>
>So I guess it is a matter of choice.

Or which side of the Atlantic you are based.

How do you spell Jewellery / Jewelry / Jewelery?

The first is standard UK English spelling, but I've seen both the others
used around the place...

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

<><
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
What I tell you three times is true."
<><
From: Charlie Hoffpauir on
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 05:55:19 -0500, Talker <Talker(a)thegood.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:43:19 -0000, "McGrath" <McGrath(a)uni.net> wrote:
>

>>"Talker" <Talker(a)thegood.com> wrote in message

>>> I have used Omnipage Pro and Abbyy's Finereader, and neither one
>>> of them are worth a damn. Maybe it's because I rarely use either one
>>> of them, and I'm doing something wrong, but every time I have tried to
>>> scan a document, it never scans and recognizes it properly. I have to
>>> correct so many errors in the text, that I might as well have typed it
>>> myself.
>>> If it has charts or pictures with the text, forget it, I end up
>>> with a total mess. I finally just gave up on OCR software, and no
>>> longer use it.
>>> Oh, and it's not the scanner either, since I have used both OCR
>>> programs with three different scanners over the years....my latest
>>> scanner is a Canon 9950F.
>>>
>>> Talker
>>
>>Does Canon 9950F have Windows 7 Drivers ready?
>>And does any OCR come with Canon 9950F ?
>

> I don't know if there are drivers for the 9950F for Windows 7. I
>am using Windows XP.
> The 9950F came with Abbyy's Finereader OCR, but like I mentioned
>above, it's pretty much worthless, as is Omnipage Pro.
> I have used both of these OCRs over the years, and I admit that I
>used them very infrequently, but when I did, the results were so bad
>that they were useless. When the page had a picture or chart on it,
>the OCR software gave a result that was unrecognizable. The picture
>or charts were incomprehensible, and the text had so many errors, that
>it wasn't worth it to correct them. It was quicker to just type the
>text myself.
> I'd like to sit with someone and see how any brand of OCR works
>for them, then show them how it works for me, then compare notes.
> I got so disgusted with them that I uninstalled them from my
>computer. I don't even know where the install CDs are anymore, and I
>don't care. They were a total waste of money.
>
>Talker

Talker,

I find a LOT of difference depending on how I use the program (mostly,
I'm using Omnipage Pro v 14, but I've used various versions over the
last 10 years). If you just use the "default" setting, results depend
a lot on what you throw at it. A scanned typewritten page, for
example, will OCR with very few errors.... usually none. Scanned
newsprint can also do well, if it's not old and wrinkled. If there are
any images included, however, you need to depart from the default
setting and actually define the zones that are text and the zones that
are images. If you take the time to do that, resluts can be very good.

In other words, OCR is not an automatic process. It takes a lot of
human interface to get a good job.

I'd be willing to do a few tests with you. Just send me a scanned page
and I'll run it through the OCR process, and let you see how it comes
out. If interested, send the image file to charliehoffp at yahoo dot
com. Make the file an uncompressed tif, scanned at 300 ppi. Grayscale
probably best.... I'll adjust that if needed and send a copy of the
adjusted image back to you.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
From: CSM1 on
Michael J Davis <mjdusenet(a)trustsof.co.uk> wrote in

> CSM1 <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> was inspired to say
>>Jethro Pull <jpull(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> To digress ...
>>>
>>> One of my real-life misspell examples is the word "Cancelled"
>>> which
>>> you will see spelled "Canceled" with only one L. Most often found
when
>>> we have bad weather and TV shows flights that have been "Cancelled"
by
>>> one airline and "Canceled" by another. Frankly, I'm confused and
>>> should consult my Merriam-Webster to get an answer, but the suspense
>>> is more fun than knowing which is correct.
>>>

>>Acording to a test of the two spellings in Microsoft Word 2000, both
>>spellings are correct.
>>
>>Neither word is flagged as mis-spelled.
>>
>>However my American Heritage dictionary show that "canceled" is the
>>correct spelling.
>>
>>My Random House College Dictionary shows both spelling as correct.
>>
>>So I guess it is a matter of choice.
>
> Or which side of the Atlantic you are based.
>
> How do you spell Jewellery / Jewelry / Jewelery?
>
> The first is standard UK English spelling, but I've seen both the
others
> used around the place...
>
> Mike

I am in Texas, USA.

American Heritage Talking Dictionary shows:

jewelry
Ornaments, such as bracelets, necklaces, or rings, made of precious
metals set with gems or imitation gems.

Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
Copyright � 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

jeweler and jeweller
One that makes, repairs, or deals in jewelry

http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Talker on
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:09:44 -0600, Charlie Hoffpauir
<invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>Talker,
>
>I find a LOT of difference depending on how I use the program (mostly,
>I'm using Omnipage Pro v 14, but I've used various versions over the
>last 10 years). If you just use the "default" setting, results depend
>a lot on what you throw at it. A scanned typewritten page, for
>example, will OCR with very few errors.... usually none. Scanned
>newsprint can also do well, if it's not old and wrinkled. If there are
>any images included, however, you need to depart from the default
>setting and actually define the zones that are text and the zones that
>are images. If you take the time to do that, resluts can be very good.
>
>In other words, OCR is not an automatic process. It takes a lot of
>human interface to get a good job.
>
>I'd be willing to do a few tests with you. Just send me a scanned page
>and I'll run it through the OCR process, and let you see how it comes
>out. If interested, send the image file to charliehoffp at yahoo dot
>com. Make the file an uncompressed tif, scanned at 300 ppi. Grayscale
>probably best.... I'll adjust that if needed and send a copy of the
>adjusted image back to you.

Hi there CH! Sorry to take so long to reply. I don't stop in
this group as often as I used to.
Thanks for the offer to run a scan through your OCR, but I don't
have anything that I'd like to scan.
The thing is, it's very seldom that I need to use OCR software,
but once in a blue moon, I find that it would make things easier if I
could just do that. Each time I tried, I ended up with a mess.
I started out using OmniPage some years ago, as it came with my
scanner. I didn't like the way it worked, but I thought that it might
be due to the fact that the version of OmniPage was a limited version,
since it was bundled with my scanner. I upgraded to the better
OmniPage Pro version, but that didn't seem to do any better.
I upgraded one more time to the latest version at the time, but I
still got poor results. Then I bought a Canon scanner, and that came
with the Abbyy software. I uninstalled the OmniPage Pro, and went
with the Abbyy software, but still, the results were poor.
Since I seldom have a need for OCR software, I just never used
it, and finally I uninstalled it some time ago.
Since then, I have tried several free OCR software packages, but
they were just as bad. It's like you said though, since I rarely used
it, I wasn't familiar with it, so I never learned the correct way to
use it. With my bad memory, even if I did learn how to use it, by the
time I'd need to use it again, I'd have forgotten how to use it.
Anyway, thanks for the offer, but as I said, I doubt that I'll
ever need to use OCR software anymore.

Talker