From: Mike Easter on
Jenn wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> mbam had a legal conflict with IOBit, claiming iobit infringed IP. During
>> that battle would have been a good time for iobit to claim that mbam
>> harbored 'gremlins', but it did not. It only claimed that it didn't
>> intentionally infringe IP and that remedies had been taken about mbam's
>> concerns.

> What does *infringe IP* mean?

IP is intellectual property (rights) in this context. So the
infringement is on the property rights.

<wiki> On November 2, 2009, Malwarebytes accused rival IOBit of
incorporating the database of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (and several
products from other vendors, which were not named) in its security
software IOBit Security 360. ... Malwarebytes claims to have served DMCA
infringement notices against CNET Download.com and MajorGeeks.com in
order to have the download sites remove the IOBit software. </wiki>

DMCA = Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a US copyright law

--
Mike Easter
From: Jenn on
"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jenn" <me(a)nowhere.whocareswhatthisemailisanyway> wrote in
>
>> "Mike Easter" <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote in message
>>> ~BD~ wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> mbam had a legal conflict with IOBit, claiming iobit infringed IP.
>>> During that battle would have been a good time for iobit to claim
>>> that mbam harbored 'gremlins', but it did not. It only claimed that
>>> it didn't intentionally infringe IP and that remedies had been taken
>>> about mbam's concerns.
>>>

>> What does *infringe IP* mean?
>
> IP=intellectual property. IOBit reverse engineered mbams database and used
> alot of it, line for line; as was copy/pasted from ours. Infringe means
> they used it, without permission.

IOBit is another company like malwarebytes? (never heard of it before)
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

From: Jenn on
> Jenn wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"
>>> mbam had a legal conflict with IOBit, claiming iobit infringed IP.
>>> During that battle would have been a good time for iobit to claim that
>>> mbam harbored 'gremlins', but it did not. It only claimed that it
>>> didn't intentionally infringe IP and that remedies had been taken about
>>> mbam's concerns.
>

>> What does *infringe IP* mean?
>
> IP is intellectual property (rights) in this context. So the infringement
> is on the property rights.
>
> <wiki> On November 2, 2009, Malwarebytes accused rival IOBit of
> incorporating the database of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (and several
> products from other vendors, which were not named) in its security
> software IOBit Security 360. ... Malwarebytes claims to have served DMCA
> infringement notices against CNET Download.com and MajorGeeks.com in order
> to have the download sites remove the IOBit software. </wiki>
>
> DMCA = Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a US copyright law

thanks Mike!
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

From: Mike Easter on
Jenn wrote:

> IOBit is another company like malwarebytes? (never heard of it before)

IOBit denial of mbam's complaint

http://blog.iobit.com/declaration-from-iobit_95.html

IOBit front page http://www.iobit.com/

Like mbam, it also has free & pay. mbam has more reputation in freeware
discussion groups.

--
Mike Easter
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Mike Easter" <MikeE(a)ster.invalid>

| Jenn wrote:

>> IOBit is another company like malwarebytes? (never heard of it before)

| IOBit denial of mbam's complaint

| http://blog.iobit.com/declaration-from-iobit_95.html

| IOBit front page http://www.iobit.com/

| Like mbam, it also has free & pay. mbam has more reputation in freeware
| discussion groups.

IOBit was guilty -- there is no doubt!

--
Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Jenn
Next: Spyware Blaster databse update | 19 Apr 2010