From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/15/2010 12:00 AM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri(a)medioh.com>wrote:
>

>> And, oh by the way, as I referenced in the OP, the MLM is subject to some
>> pretty ridiculous security vulnerabilities. Anyone can unsubscribe anyone
>> from ruby-talk, so long as the read it via e-mail. That's silly.
>>

> And as I realize code speaks louder than words, here you go. Here's some
> Ruby code to unsubscribe someone from ruby-talk without their permission.
> This particular snippet is set up to unsubscribe thunk from ruby-talk.
> Feel free to modify it to unsubscribe whoever you like:
>
> http://gist.github.com/365142
>
> I send you this only to point out that ruby-talk is very much insecure,
> especially for anyone who reads it via email.

Actually, all that will do is cause the user to get a confirmation
e-mail asking if they really want to unsubscribe. I suppose it could
lead to some annoying spam, but I hardly think it's a critical security bug.

From: Tony Arcieri on

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Walton Hoops <walton(a)vyper.hopto.org>wrote:

> Actually, all that will do is cause the user to get a confirmation
> e-mail asking if they really want to unsubscribe. I suppose it could
> lead to some annoying spam, but I hardly think it's a critical security
> bug.

That's what a secure MLM would do. The ruby-talk one does not. If you
don't believe me I can run it against your email address.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/15/2010 10:57 AM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Walton Hoops <walton(a)vyper.hopto.org>wrote:
>

>> Actually, all that will do is cause the user to get a confirmation
>> e-mail asking if they really want to unsubscribe. I suppose it could
>> lead to some annoying spam, but I hardly think it's a critical security
>> bug.
>>

> That's what a secure MLM would do. The ruby-talk one does not. If you
> don't believe me I can run it against your email address.

Go ahead, I already did.

From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/15/2010 11:27 AM, Walton Hoops wrote:
> On 4/15/2010 10:57 AM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Walton Hoops <walton(a)vyper.hopto.org>wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, all that will do is cause the user to get a confirmation
>>> e-mail asking if they really want to unsubscribe. I suppose it could
>>> lead to some annoying spam, but I hardly think it's a critical security
>>> bug.
>>>

>> That's what a secure MLM would do. The ruby-talk one does not. If you
>> don't believe me I can run it against your email address.
>>

> Go ahead, I already did.

Hmm... just a moment ago I got this e-mail:

On 4/15/2010 11:50 AM, ruby-talk-admin(a)ruby-lang.org wrote:
> unsubscribe
>
> unsubscribe-confirm 2010041602504610836465093473 walton vyper.hopto.org
>
> Please reply this mail to confirm your unsubscribe request
> and send this to ruby-talk-ctl(a)ruby-lang.org
> If confirmed, you are removed from MAILING LIST <ruby-talk(a)ruby-lang.org>.
>
> --ruby-talk(a)ruby-lang.org, Be Seeing You!

> If you have any questions or problems,
> please contact ruby-talk-admin(a)ruby-lang.org
> or
> send e-mail with the body "help"(without quotes) to
> ruby-talk-ctl(a)ruby-lang.org
> (here is the automatic reply, so more preferable)
>
> e.g. on a Unix Machine
> (shell prompt)% echo "help" |Mail ruby-talk-ctl(a)ruby-lang.org

I wonder how that could have happened ;-)

From: Tony Arcieri on

Strange... when I do it to myself it unsubscribes me with no confirmation.