From: Walton Hoops on
On 4/15/2010 11:57 AM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> Strange... when I do it to myself it unsubscribes me with no confirmation.

That is strange. A by account setting maybe? Looking through the
'help' command I'm not seeing anything like that though. Probably a
question only Matz could answer.

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Tony Arcieri wrote:
> Strange... when I do it to myself it unsubscribes me with no
> confirmation.

Maybe it does a slightly more thorough check than you realize. Are your
fingerprints on your keyboard?

/tinfoilhat off

From: Justin Collins on
Dylan Northrup wrote:
> A long time ago, (15.04.10), in a galaxy far, far away, Justin Collins wrote:
>
> :=As for your moderation concerns, I do not share them, nor do I really
> :=understand your vehemence (my perception!) on the issue. Trolls should not be
> :=fed, spammers should be blocked.
>
> In the absence of moderation or some central authority, spammers cannot be
> blocked. Or, more properly, it's up to each individual subscriber to block
> a spammer at the point of receipt.

Oh, as for that, Matz blocks spammers on the mailing list, and Google
has spam filtering on its side for the newsgroup. I am not sure about
the forums.

-Justin

From: Jonathan Nielsen on

> Oh, as for that, Matz blocks spammers on the mailing list, and Google has
> spam filtering on its side for the newsgroup. I am not sure about the
> forums.

The forum makes a user evaluate a ruby program in order to register.
Which would be ridiculously easy for a bot to do, but it would have to
be targetted specifically at the forum.

Actually, it's not a very good CAPTCHA at all imo, since it's
something that is easy for a machine to do and hard for a regular
person to do. But... I'm not in charge. Thank goodness.

-Jonathan Nielsen

From: Joel VanderWerf on
Robert Klemme wrote:
> My stance is this: I do feel zero pain with regard to spam. I checked
> my GMail account and there are 6 emails in the last 30 days that I have
> or the spam filter has marked spam. I can easily ignore threads and the
> bandwidth is only relevant for Google (btw, SMTP should make just one
> copy of every mail to all GMail accounts subscribed travel the net).
>
> Also, I do not consider recent traffic as spam: apparently there was
> enough interest in the community to discuss this. So even with
> moderation enabled these messages would have made it into everybody's
> inboxes.
>
> On the contrary, moderation not only slows things down but it also has a
> different effect: the community delegates maintaining a healthy biotope
> to moderators. I prefer the current solution where everybody is
> responsible for balancing things out. I think it has worked out
> remarkably well in the last years and I do not really see a major
> degradation.
>
> I haven't see a compelling reason why we should have moderation now. As
> long as that has not changed I am strongly against moderation.

I vote with Robert Klemme for the above reasons.

By usenet standards (or really any Internet public discussion
standards), the recent "spam" was a minor hiccup in the harmony of our
little group. This episode doesn't seem to have reduced the overall
civility of the group, so why worry?