From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-15, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
> than to those attending too small a degree of it.
> --Thomas Jefferson

Non-sequitur. "Liberty" does not mean that anyone who wants can disrupt
anything, or harass anyone, they want. Decent moderation does not noticably
impair liberty.

More generally, a liberty which is useless has been effectively removed.

> I find it rather curious that in the thread Tony starts, out of concern for
> spammers and security holes, he posts 4 times in a row over the course of
> ten minutes, and links to code that can be used to remove anyone from the
> list.

> Isn't he advocating an institution which, upon it's inception, would be
> obligated to ban him?

No.

He's not spamming, and he's not posting malware. He's not doing things that
could reasonably be mistaken for those, either.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Josh Cheek on

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:

> On 2010-04-15, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
> liberty
> > than to those attending too small a degree of it.
> > --Thomas Jefferson
>
> Non-sequitur. "Liberty" does not mean that anyone who wants can disrupt
> anything, or harass anyone, they want. Decent moderation does not
> noticably
> impair liberty.
>
> More generally, a liberty which is useless has been effectively removed.

I think a better non sequitur is going from not wanting a moderator to being
an anarchist. But that's not the point anyway, I'm not talking about their
liberty, I'm talking about mine. I would rather have a few people spam a few
threads than have to censor my posts out of fear of moderation. You can say
moderation doesn't noticeably impair Liberty, but Jefferson also pointed out
that "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government
to gain ground. "

From: Phil Romero on

From: Robert Klemme on
2010/4/15 Josh Cheek <josh.cheek(a)gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri(a)medioh.com>wrote:
>
>> This is precisely the case in which I feel a moderator should step in.
>>  Relying on "the community" to police itself is silly.

Not at all! This is believing in maturity of people. I know, people
can be nasty and sometimes I don't see any good in the human nature.
But most of the time it's different - especially in this list.
Compare that community with others and you'll know what I mean.

>> Are you people really just a bunch of anarchists?  I like moderation.
>
> I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
> than to those attending too small a degree of it.
> --Thomas Jefferson

I could not agree more. And yes, there is a particular difference
between anarchists and liberals. I would rather think of us as grown
ups who know how to get along well with each other and help those who
do not - or forget it for a moment.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Justin Collins on
Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Justin Collins <justincollins(a)ucla.edu>wrote:
>

>> I am not even sure moderation is a technical possibility. "ruby-talk" is
>> actually an amalgam of a Google user group, a forum, and a mailing list, all
>> of which are different systems run by different people.
>>

> As someone who has built a supersyndication system (in Ruby!), I completely
> do not buy this argument. As far as I am aware, the MLM of
> ruby-talk(a)ruby-lang.org is the central authority of the state of the mailing
> list, and everything else is just syndication.
>
> You're arguing that because ruby-talk is syndicated means it's
> uncontrollable? Bullshit. Unless I'm confused the MLM is the central
> authority.
>
> And, oh by the way, as I referenced in the OP, the MLM is subject to some
> pretty ridiculous security vulnerabilities. Anyone can unsubscribe anyone
> from ruby-talk, so long as the read it via e-mail. That's silly.

I am not sure that is a correct view of the system, but I am sure
someone will correct me if I am mistaken. As I understand it, there are
three ways to "input" posts and three ways to view posts. They can and
sometimes do operate independently, although when they do it is
considered a malfunction, because we don't want to isolate part of the
community. They essentially replicate each other, so I do not think any
one part is considered a central authority.

As for your security concerns, they should be addressed to Matz if you
have not already done so.

As for your moderation concerns, I do not share them, nor do I really
understand your vehemence (my perception!) on the issue. Trolls should
not be fed, spammers should be blocked. Threads I don't care about are
not read. I am with Robert in saying we should be a community that gets
along without the need of supervisors. If there is one rule in our
anarchist mailing list/forum/newsgroup, it is "Matz is nice so we are
nice." That is enough of a moderator for me.

-Justin