From: RichA on
Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources, anyway)
have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR production
for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple that with the
less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are getting and it
looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while longer.
From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources, anyway)
: have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR production
: for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple that with the
: less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are getting and it
: looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while longer.

Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want to bet
on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to bet against
you.

Bob
From: Rich on
Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
>: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
>: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
>: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources,
>: anyway) have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR
>: production for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple
>: that with the less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are
>: getting and it looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while
>: longer.
>
> Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want
> to bet on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to
> bet against you.
>
> Bob

I support any decision by the mfgs that keeps them in the black.
From: Ray Fischer on
Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>

>>: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
>>: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
>>: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
>>: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources,
>>: anyway) have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR
>>: production for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple
>>: that with the less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are
>>: getting and it looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while
>>: longer.
>>
>> Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want
>> to bet on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to
>> bet against you.
>
>I support any decision by the mfgs that keeps them in the black.

Unless it involves the use of plastic.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: RichA on
On Jun 27, 5:55 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> Rich  <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> >Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote in
> >> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> >>: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction.  There seems to be
> >>: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
> >>: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket.  However, Sony, even
> >>: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources,
> >>: anyway) have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR
> >>: production for as long as they want, even without profits.  Couple
> >>: that with the less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are
> >>: getting and it looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while
> >>: longer.
>
> >> Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want
> >> to bet on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to
> >> bet against you.
>
> >I support any decision by the mfgs that keeps them in the black.
>
> Unless it involves the use of plastic.

Shudder. Interesting thing. I asked which Sony NEX would sell
better, the 3 or the 5. The 5 is a metal body, $100 more. Most
thougth the cheap plastic 3 would sell better. But according to what
I've been able to find out, demand for the 5 is at least 2x stronger.