From: anon a mouse on
I recently bought an HD camcorder which also takes digital pix. (This
is my first time doing digital -- been shooting 35mm for 20+years.)
Where I get my film developed, a roll of 24 is $1 extra for 5x7s, vs
4x6. To get 24 5x7 prints in digital, however, would cost upwards of
TWENTY DOLLARS more!!!!! Any idea why? If this is just the way it
is, I'll stick with 35mm until the last roll of film is
manufactured!! I did some searches, found a few in the 20 - 40 cent/
print range, but most of the comments left there weren't very
encouraging. Anyone know of any REASONABLY priced places for
5x7s . . . or should I just stick with the 35mm?
From: Mort on
anon a mouse wrote:
> I recently bought an HD camcorder which also takes digital pix. (This
> is my first time doing digital -- been shooting 35mm for 20+years.)
> Where I get my film developed, a roll of 24 is $1 extra for 5x7s, vs
> 4x6. To get 24 5x7 prints in digital, however, would cost upwards of
> TWENTY DOLLARS more!!!!! Any idea why? If this is just the way it
> is, I'll stick with 35mm until the last roll of film is
> manufactured!! I did some searches, found a few in the 20 - 40 cent/
> print range, but most of the comments left there weren't very
> encouraging. Anyone know of any REASONABLY priced places for
> 5x7s . . . or should I just stick with the 35mm?
Buy a printer, and print your own.
From: snapper on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:48:14 -0800 (PST), anon a mouse <pakossa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently bought an HD camcorder which also takes digital pix. (This
> is my first time doing digital -- been shooting 35mm for 20+years.)
> Where I get my film developed, a roll of 24 is $1 extra for 5x7s, vs
> 4x6. To get 24 5x7 prints in digital, however, would cost upwards of
> TWENTY DOLLARS more!!!!! Any idea why? If this is just the way it
> is, I'll stick with 35mm until the last roll of film is
> manufactured!! I did some searches, found a few in the 20 - 40 cent/
> print range, but most of the comments left there weren't very
> encouraging. Anyone know of any REASONABLY priced places for
> 5x7s . . . or should I just stick with the 35mm?

Why bother printing them? You can view digital photos on most TV sets these days. Or you
can buy a 7" portable picture viewer very cheaply.

From: tony cooper on
<pakossa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I recently bought an HD camcorder which also takes digital pix. (This
>is my first time doing digital -- been shooting 35mm for 20+years.)
>Where I get my film developed, a roll of 24 is $1 extra for 5x7s, vs
>4x6. To get 24 5x7 prints in digital, however, would cost upwards of
>TWENTY DOLLARS more!!!!! Any idea why? If this is just the way it
>is, I'll stick with 35mm until the last roll of film is
>manufactured!! I did some searches, found a few in the 20 - 40 cent/
>print range, but most of the comments left there weren't very
>encouraging. Anyone know of any REASONABLY priced places for
>5x7s . . . or should I just stick with the 35mm?

Costco charges $5.19 for a developing a 24 exposure roll of film and
printing 24 5 x 7s. (The same for 4 x 6s is $3.99)

Prints from digital images at Costco are 39 cents each. Twenty-four 5
x 7s are $9.36. Available on lustre or gloss. You can submit your
own color profile on-line.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Martin Brown on
Mort wrote:
> anon a mouse wrote:
>> I recently bought an HD camcorder which also takes digital pix. (This
>> is my first time doing digital -- been shooting 35mm for 20+years.)
>> Where I get my film developed, a roll of 24 is $1 extra for 5x7s, vs
>> 4x6. To get 24 5x7 prints in digital, however, would cost upwards of
>> TWENTY DOLLARS more!!!!! Any idea why? If this is just the way it

Because they are ripping you off. UK photo dealers charge at most the
equivalent of ten cents extra for 5x7 and some offer same price deals
periodically so if you are not in a hurry. Or batch them up to lots of
50 to get the best price break it isn't a problem. BTW 24 could be a
really dumb number of prints to order if the next price break is 25x

http://photo.jessops.com/photo-printing.html

And Fuji crystal archive paper gives a much better finished print than
even the best inkjet can manage.

>> is, I'll stick with 35mm until the last roll of film is
>> manufactured!! I did some searches, found a few in the 20 - 40 cent/
>> print range, but most of the comments left there weren't very
>> encouraging. Anyone know of any REASONABLY priced places for
>> 5x7s . . . or should I just stick with the 35mm?

> Buy a printer, and print your own.

Not cost effective unless you use cheapo secondary market inks and cheap
paper and then the quality and longevity suffer. Even with official
Canon inks and paper stuff printed on my i9000 starts to fade badly
after 5 years in moderate light. And after two years in direct sunlight.

Regards,
Martin Brown
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4