From: Tony Houghton on
In <87hbsk93jh.fsf(a)spindle.srvr.nix>,
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2009, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk said:
>
>> (a large powerful graphics card can also push addressable RAM past the 4gig
>> limit)
>
> I dunno about that: they can't use more than 256Mb (the maximum size of
> a PCI BAR). If you have several cards, perhaps (or if the card allows
> for multiple PCI BARs, but I don't know if any do).

I'm pretty sure you can get cards with more than 256MB. Does PCI-E not
have that limit, or does it only limit how much can be paged into the
main address space at a time?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Nix on
On 24 Nov 2009, Richard Kettlewell outgrape:

> Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> writes:
>> On 23 Nov 2009, spike1(a)freenet.co.uk said:
>>> One disadvantage is that programs compiled for 64bit require more
>>> memory due to the extra instructions,
>>
>> ITYM 'increased alignment requirements'?
>
> I'd have thought the double-sized pointers would be the biggest
> additional consumer of memory.

Yeah, on x86(-64) with its complex alignment rules you're probably
right: we don't pay for alignments we don't use. On SPARC64, in which
everything was pretty much constant-alignment, the alignment costs
really did blow everything up (in I$ as well as D$).
From: Nix on
On 24 Nov 2009, Tony Houghton said:

> In <87hbsk93jh.fsf(a)spindle.srvr.nix>,
> Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I dunno about that: they can't use more than 256Mb (the maximum size of
>> a PCI BAR). If you have several cards, perhaps (or if the card allows
>> for multiple PCI BARs, but I don't know if any do).
>
> I'm pretty sure you can get cards with more than 256MB. Does PCI-E not
> have that limit, or does it only limit how much can be paged into the
> main address space at a time?

Traditionally, neither. PCIe has the same limits as PCI (it looks almost
exactly like PCI at the software level), so what the GPUs do is expose
256Mb to the CPU and reserve the rest for their own use. It's not quite
like paging: you generally dump something (e.g. a texture) into the
accessible memory and then use GPU instructions to move it somewhere
only the GPU can see (that sort of thing is, of course, *fast* on
graphics cards! plus you only do it at initialization time, unless
you're so short of memory you have to swap textures in and out, in which
case performance will suck in any case).
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: ACPI problems with Centrino processor
Next: Just $15