From: Martin Gregorie on
I notice, over on the WINE users list, that a lot of newbies go straight
for the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and stick with it despite the fact that
WINE-64 doesn't work yet and installing the 32 bit libraries to run 32
bit WINE is hassle that could be avoided by running a 32 bit Ubuntu. 64
is a bigger number than 32, so is this simply a lemming-like bigger is
better knee-jerk?

Is there any good reason for running a 64 environment if the box is just
running OpenOffice/email/Firefox, playing games under WINE and maybe
listening to music or watching DVDs?

Do the likes of Audacity or video editors ever want enough RAM to run
better in a 64 bit environment? I can't think of anything else that a
home user might want to run that might processes occupying more than
500MB RAM.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Baron on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> I notice, over on the WINE users list, that a lot of newbies go
> straight for the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and stick with it despite
> the fact that WINE-64 doesn't work yet and installing the 32 bit
> libraries to run 32 bit WINE is hassle that could be avoided by
> running a 32 bit Ubuntu. 64 is a bigger number than 32, so is this
> simply a lemming-like bigger is better knee-jerk?

Its like offering kids two or three sweets, they will always take
three !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <he9hu8$1dn$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> I notice, over on the WINE users list, that a lot of newbies go straight
> for the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and stick with it despite the fact that
> WINE-64 doesn't work yet and installing the 32 bit libraries to run 32
> bit WINE is hassle that could be avoided by running a 32 bit Ubuntu. 64
> is a bigger number than 32, so is this simply a lemming-like bigger is
> better knee-jerk?
>
> Is there any good reason for running a 64 environment if the box is just
> running OpenOffice/email/Firefox, playing games under WINE and maybe
> listening to music or watching DVDs?
>
> Do the likes of Audacity or video editors ever want enough RAM to run
> better in a 64 bit environment? I can't think of anything else that a
> home user might want to run that might processes occupying more than
> 500MB RAM.

64-bit should also offer performance advantages. For a start binary
distributions don't have to ignore the last 20 years of x86 development
like SSE and MMX to cater for all users. And amd64/EMT64 has a lot more
general purpose registers than IA32, which is especially important when
nearly everything you run was compiled with gcc instead of a compiler
designed for x86 from the ground up by a mega corporation.

Having said that, I bet I'd never notice the difference in performance
:-). ISTR it's said to make the most impact in things like processing
video.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Folderol on
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:26:46 +0000 (UTC)
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <he9hu8$1dn$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
> Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I notice, over on the WINE users list, that a lot of newbies go straight
> > for the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and stick with it despite the fact that
> > WINE-64 doesn't work yet and installing the 32 bit libraries to run 32
> > bit WINE is hassle that could be avoided by running a 32 bit Ubuntu. 64
> > is a bigger number than 32, so is this simply a lemming-like bigger is
> > better knee-jerk?
> >
> > Is there any good reason for running a 64 environment if the box is just
> > running OpenOffice/email/Firefox, playing games under WINE and maybe
> > listening to music or watching DVDs?
> >
> > Do the likes of Audacity or video editors ever want enough RAM to run
> > better in a 64 bit environment? I can't think of anything else that a
> > home user might want to run that might processes occupying more than
> > 500MB RAM.
>
> 64-bit should also offer performance advantages. For a start binary
> distributions don't have to ignore the last 20 years of x86 development
> like SSE and MMX to cater for all users. And amd64/EMT64 has a lot more
> general purpose registers than IA32, which is especially important when
> nearly everything you run was compiled with gcc instead of a compiler
> designed for x86 from the ground up by a mega corporation.
>
> Having said that, I bet I'd never notice the difference in performance
> :-). ISTR it's said to make the most impact in things like processing
> video.

Try using hydrogen + zynaddsubfx + jamin + rosegarden with qjackctl -
you'll notice the difference then alright :o

--
Will J G
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:23:09 +0000, Folderol wrote:

> Try using hydrogen + zynaddsubfx + jamin + rosegarden with qjackctl -
> you'll notice the difference then alright :o

I know next to nothing about music programs. I can rip vinyl onto CD with
Audacity, but that's about it, so why do you say that? I mean, how many
of these programs' memory requirements bust the 32 bit addressing limit.
IOW does running a 64 bit OS buy you anything with that process mix that
a few more cores and the odd extra GB of RAM wouldn't also solve?

Disclaimer: the only time I've written anything that needed great
steaming gobs of RAM per process was when I needed a minimum of 25,000
lookups per second on a non-static database of 350M items, so I used a
red-black binary tree that was entirely in RAM - around 4.5GB of data.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: ACPI problems with Centrino processor
Next: Just $15