From: Shmuel Metz on

In <m2k4qc3y0r.fsf(a)pushface.org>, on 06/06/2010
at 05:51 PM, Simon Wright <simon(a)pushface.org> said:

>Perhaps he means they look different :-)

Perhaps your dog wrote the article with your name. <g, d & r>

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on

In <hugevn02qfb(a)news5.newsguy.com>, on 06/06/2010
at 11:19 AM, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:

>What do you believe to be the difference between machine code and
>assembler?

What do you believe to be the similarity?

In assembler code everything is symbolic and you don't even have a 1-1
relationship between lines of source code and words of object code.
Coding in assembler is far less labor intensive than coding in machine
language.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on

In <huis7g02bi(a)news7.newsguy.com>, on 06/07/2010
at 09:23 AM, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:

>If it "optimizes" then it's not an assembler, no matter what it might
>be called.

In what universe?

>Don't do anything you couldn't do by hand

Neither does any other compiler.

>He came down with cancer around the time that assemblers started to
>become common,

Strange; Wiki claims that he lived until 1957.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on

In <4c0cc11d$0$56569$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 06/07/2010
at 07:38 PM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:

>Anyway, the point I was making was that the programs
>were run before the March 1953 Symposium,
>and that the programs preceded FORTRAN, and preceded ALGOL.

Neither ALGOL nor FORTRAN was the first programming language.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on

In <hujp34$m4p$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, on 06/07/2010
at 05:56 PM, Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> said:

>That's it. I believe it was an IBM 704,

You could attach a drum to a 704, but the main memory was core.

>Drums were popular as storage on systems,
>even with disks, because, being head per track,

Google for FastRand.

>They were often used as a swap medium.

ITYM paging; moving-head devices were good enough for swap.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org