From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 6/8/10 8:27 AM, James J. Weinkam wrote:

> Nevertheless, it remains true that the assembly language programmer who
> knows what he is about has complete control over the binary code
> generated, although I would venture to say that few, if any, assembly
> language programmers think of what they are doing in those terms most of
> the time.

Would this control include control over pipelines, parallelism,
and possibly translation of assembly instructions to microcode?

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <huis7i12bi(a)news7.newsguy.com>, on 06/07/2010
at 09:29 AM, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:

>Has most of the properties of a fixed-head disk

Google for FastRand.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <huiia5$2k1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, on 06/07/2010
at 06:40 AM, Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> said:

>If you want to talk *really* old assemblers, look at SOAP. The
>hardware had no core,

Ours did. But only 60 words.

>and each H/W instruction contained the
>drum address of the next instruction to be executed.

The next instruction did not have to be on the drum. It could be,
e.g., in core, in the Upper Accumulator.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <huii3u$u9$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, on 06/07/2010
at 06:36 AM, Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> said:

>Of course that's effectively two programs - a macro processor and an
>assembler.

No way, Jos�! There may be assemblers where the macro processing is a
separate phase, but in the assembler that I use these days it's
integrated, e.g., a macroinstruction can test the length attribute of
a symbol.

>The PL/I preprocessor

Is a separate issue.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <hugkq9$u0t$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, on 06/06/2010
at 05:10 PM, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> said:

>Unless you are actually doing it. There are stories from the early
>days of S/360 about patching object decks by adding cards.

And before. It made maintenance a nightmare. Assembler was far easier,
even if the assembler was slow.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org